Y400 Y4 Reptile Mosquito will it fly with Naza?
5741 19 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

201411282142493054.jpg I want to own the Y400its real cool and looks like the Hunter Killer which i really like.
I own a Naza v2 for my Useful HF Alein and it flies great , I also own a 250 running the kk 2.1 ,(recently switched for the Flip32+) and a 450 running the kk 2.15 (recently switched for the Naza Lite no GPS) and some little quads too and 5 planes.
I really dont like the KK at all, This quad is supposed to be a Y4 running 2 props in the rear and 1 single on each front arm.
I would like to fly it just like that so the question would be can i configure it as a
4X since it is sort of a X  or Y6 with 2 missing motors since the only real differences is 2 motors aint there?

It would sure be nice to have GPS and RTH and all the nice things a Naza offers.
I did see one video of a guy flying a huge Y3 with a naza but the Y4 is a very different animal. The only real other solution is to get the extra plates and make it a Y6 that would be least cost effective solution since i really like the Emaxx Quatro 4n1 ESC and run it on my Alien and it would fit great on the Reptile Mosquito Y400.

Edit to post:
My set has changed greatly over time since im learning alot about the experimental aircraft , it would be safe to say NO flight controller will fly a Y4 without tons of tweeking and a good working knowlegde of PIDs airframes and deep pockets to try everything under the sun , this leaves a few things you can do.
1.Configure it a Y6 which supported by Naza. have all the benifits of this easy to use FC.
2.Learn to program and use a Naze32,KK,CC3D or other board of choice ,I can attest this is the hard road and its struck a nerve with my walet and patients.
3.Go Y3 add a servo and use Naze32 or other choice FC that supports it , less is more.
4.Fly something else , like a quad and go the road most travelled.

That being said its beleived my final set will be Y6

Flip32+ 10 Dof with added GPS and sonar a Dof 12+, I could at this point go with a Naza but since i now have all this stuff for about the price of just the basic GPSless Naza ill stick with it

DYS BL20A ESC's X6 ,, The Emax 4n1 is just to large for this airframe thou i moved it many times it just fits nowhere good. and it does not have the extra 6n1 needed to go Y6
Also the DYS BL20A are more than powerful enough since the motors i have only draw 14 amps max and the added bonus of being ONESHOT 125.

OrangeRX 615 a great little reciever for all things flying it supports Failsafe, PWM PPM and Comes back fast from brown out not that ive ever had one that i didnt cause on purpose.

Generic 2212's with the DJI style screw on prop hubs this is the only way to go after having it, and mached with APC 8x4.5 thou this may not be my best option they fit well for Y6

and of coarse the Reptile Experimental Airframe MY-400 Mosquito ,and thou im about experimental craft my time could be better spent doing other things like flying so no Y4 for me.

I will continue to undate this post till i have it flying super nice.

2015-6-7
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I went back and looked for that video but it seems he was actually flying it with a KK so i guess its a no go.
I am very disappointed by the lack of response to such a simple question , I decided to try the full naze 32 instead even thou I now own 2 Nazas for quads.
I will likely cover the build of this craft on another forum since info is scarce, and its always kinda cool to be the first to showcase a new craft even if the y4 is not a new system.
if that does not work out ill convert it to a y6 but for now i guess ill fly outside of the comfort zone and go without gps and the likes.
2015-6-10
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-11 08:54
I went back and looked for that video but it seems he was actually flying it with a KK so i guess it ...

On my Y400 Mosquito, currently flying using Naza-M Lite: Basic Pitch 65% Roll 75% Yaw 40% Vertical 100%. Setup is Y6 with front lowers disconnected and C/G tail heavy. Super twitchy as not V tail... The thing with KK2.1 that sucks is the screen dies easily and mix is a pain. MulitWii seems to be the best choice for Y4 but DJI's F/Cs are my favorite; hopefully we'll see support for this configuration in the near future?
2015-6-10
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

spuzzy@shaw.ca Posted at 2015-6-11 15:09
On my Y400 Mosquito, currently flying using Naza-M Lite: Basic Pitch 65% Roll 75% Yaw 40% Vertical  ...

Thanks for your input , I did go with a full naze 32 "the flip". I downloaded all the files and stuff and got the board as far programmed as i can without the craft. Im still waiting for the other parts to get here since they are mostly from china. I think ill put the Naza on another craft ,but I had a idea for your craft , If you buy 2 more motor plates and motors esc's then you could fly it as a Y6 instead of the Y4 its almost silly for it to be a Y4  since its not Naza friendly at this point.

One more question thou. What motor prop combo are you using , right now im thinking of going with Tri folding front props from Heli-factor and 2 blade folding for the rear since its easy enuff to flip the blades in the hub? My motors are DJI 2212's since i love the simple screw on type and really dislike the nasty wobbles you get out of prop hub adapters even thou i have a full unused set laying around ,they can be saved a for a friends cheapo build.
2015-6-11
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-12 06:08
Thanks for your input , I did go with a full naze 32 "the flip". I downloaded all the files and st ...

EMAX2216/10*45 props/AR8000/Hobbywing 25 AMP 4 in 1 ESC. Fatshark FPV gear currently removed...
If I did the Y6 thing, no way I could get the lower props to clear the landing gear. Tried non-DJI carbon folding props for the Phantom but the vibration they caused was terrible (hard to balance) and generated nowhere near the lift I needed. Given the 3S setup, may actually try a 11*48 prop to see if that makes things a little more stable. Or try a different F/C (but not my KK2.1: tired of replacing the LCD).

IMG_3010.JPG
2015-6-11
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I think you have a issue you may not be aware of the FC is on the nose and not centered.
I tried this once (i actually moved to clean up the set up) and it made the craft almost unflyable and very erratic.
Moved back to the center it behaved as it should. I could be wrong but i think it would be worth the moving of the FC and see if it does not fly better , you should rerun calibration after moving it of coarse.
It might even be stable enuff for FPV then? but yes i like this set up and as i get mine together with the Flip32 ill let you know how that works since we are using similar parts.

It could be noted i run 4S 5000mah YKS on the same esc with my heavy alien and it flys for 17 and a half minutes nearly every flight If the wind is super heavy it will chop a minute off my flights.
I have never had balance issue with my Heli-factor 3 blade and ill likly run them thru out.

Thanks again for sharing hope we can help each other!
2015-6-12
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-13 10:19
I think you have a issue you may not be aware of the FC is on the nose and not centered.
I tried thi ...

It's the IMU that measures attitude; its location is not too important so long as X, Y and Z are accurate (re: calibration) and the FC is close to CoG? The front of a Y4 is probably the most stable so no 'swing effect'. The A2 has a separate IMU and positioning on my S900 was forward. Still experimenting though (this *is* an unsupported configuration after all). I can hover this thing for about 15 min with my YKS 3800mah 3S battery.
Would be great to hear how you make out on your build... Thanks as well. Very hard to find info on these non-V tail Y4s so probably a helpful thread?
2015-6-12
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I really dont know if it has to be centered ,but my 550 sized alien which runs alot of the same gear you have there did require the main flight controller to be centered , i also noted it works better when its around the same height and the bottom of the props also, certainly not saying yours wont fly, im just saying if its unstable this could be part the cause.

It looks like from shipping trackers I will soon have the body and motors in hand and hope the esc is soon to follow , but you know how getting stuff from china can be some things come in a week others take a month. I have the 25amp esc, 2212 920 kv motors cc and ccw respectively,the Flip32 (full naze32), and ill be putting my spektrum ar600 and changing it for the orange rx 615 since i need it for my failsafe radio off to work on the Naza (alien). im sure ill be putting lights on it and all sorts of things to make it look more like the Hunter Killer hope i can have it done and flying well for the terminator release 7/1.
2015-6-14
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-14 21:09
I really dont know if it has to be centered ,but my 550 sized alien which runs alot of the same gear ...

I hate to admit, but decided to abandon this setup... too unstable. Ordered another KK2.1 (plus another display to fix my current one). Also ordered a couple more motors and ESCs to see if the Y6 thing might work as well but not sure if I want to pull the HW 4 in 1 ESC and put 8*4.5 props on 2216s to clear the front gear (no comment there).

Parts, like yourself, ordered from China. May receive them anywhere from 10 - 90 days... lol. Hope you get your parts soon!
2015-6-15
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I got all but my Speed control in Im still blissfully confused about the rear lower prop and motor , since the DJi twist on stlye dont lead for taking reversing the motors it would seem i need one more motor to correct the orientation ,sort of feel roused about it since it seems i need 3 right motors and 1 left motor and simular set up for the props? or mabey ill sleep on it or read something that will suddenly make it all make sence. But yeah if it dont fly well i will go y6 since all one really need do is move the legs add a set of adapters...... anyhow i hope to have this up and running soon and i think the Naze32 will fly it fine.

I do think you should try moving the Naza to the center of the craft if you are taking it apart anyhow.
2015-6-17
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

Sooooo the Speedo came in and the using stock wires from the Emax 25 amp speedo prove a devil of a task to make them work but they will if you are diligent.
Now that she is together I did the Calibration Dance CHA CHA CHA!
The next step is to abandon the folding props i wanted to use and get some APC 8x4.5 they are cost effective and work well. went to the local hobby shop for those.
Now i dont know where everyone is fitting the battery but mine is in the front sandwiched between the low deck and the middle deck this limits you to a 1500 mah 11.1 or less fortunatly i have those.
TEST FLIGHT with standard Y4 hovers great but could use some tuning to fly well I feel at this point that this is a great way to go cause the Naze32 settings in clean flight are very close, I need to try auto tune to polish the settings, one thing i had happen i was less then pleased with is the welds holding the usb port broke and it took me a hour to soldier them back in working order.. Pant pant pant.....

Todays result ,
the Good= hovers well, seems durable, 1250 battery lasts 5 minutes in the air
the Bad= dont fly strait yet, all bolts need locktite all of them! layout is hard to work on without much fustration, likly should go with normal ESC's
2015-6-19
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

Did some more programming today now she flies with Baro and mag the Baro does not feel like the Naza Alti mode as it still takes some playing to stay alti so the lock is not as nice tomorrow im doing the in flight pid adjustments so pray for me!
2015-6-20
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-21 09:35
Did some more programming today now she flies with Baro and mag the Baro does not feel like the Naza ...

Put the battery underneath?
I used DJI velcro to secure the battery from sliding forward... It also pushes the battery down away from the endless bolts on the bottom of the frame.
Reptile said they would send 2 rear motor mounts to do the Y6 thing so I can make it work with NAZA. Made a little riser board to put ESCs under the FC at CoG. 6 ESCs were not fun to place. You should post some pics...

Battery (2).JPG
2015-6-23
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

Some pictures of the Y400 I also included a few of the mini250 for size comparison.
The Y400 is no where near finished at this point as it will have GPS, sonar and programmable LEDs when im done.
You can see the wiring is tight as F%*K. I like this cause it keeps it surgically clean a clean quad (that fly well) is a happy quad!

Man thats a huge battery for this light frame ive been flying with 1250mah and 1500mah I have, both 11.1V. The weight cost is so minimal I still get 5 minute flight out of the 1250 and 6-7 out the 1500. so it begs the question what kind of flight times do you get out of your 3800? is it worth the weight?

y400

y400
c.jpg
b.jpg
k.jpg
l.jpg
m.jpg
n.jpg
o.jpg
p.jpg
q.jpg
2015-6-26
Use props
spuzzy
lvl.1

Canada

fjrn@live.com Posted at 2015-6-26 21:39
Some pictures of the Y400 I also included a few of the mini250 for size comparison.

I totally agree, a clean quad is a happy quad.
http://www.reptile-tech.com/content/?4.html
They recommend a bigger battery and the mounting position underneath was as designed.
I got 15 minutes hover time... And that's with 2216 motors.
Reptile is sending me 2 of the rear motor mounts for free (just had to pay 17 for shipping).
I'm replacing the 200mm arms with 320mm arms for the Y6 setup; obviously running 6 2216s and SimonK 30 AMP ESCs is gonna reduce my flight times significantly... But should fly like a banshee?
2015-6-26
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I really want to see your project on this,, i had some thoughts after posting my own pictures , so i
1. moved the 4n1 ESC to the bottom mounted upright so i can reach the wire screws
2. this moves the Flight controller down a little and its better centered and more stable
3. moved the battery position to the open area in the middle deck for better physical balance on the cg
4. re-ran the accelometer tools and cleared old trims from the controller

Flew this morning and much was improved, she was at least 50 present more stable and didnt fight me so bad to hold level and strait it only took small corrections and it was windy the heading held nicely but i feel i may need to let the rope out on the yaw ,as it takes large movement to steer a small amount.

So better CG balance may play a factor on this craft even thou my other quads are both tail heavy?

Now the bad news is the Flip32 and naze boards can run programmable sequential LED strips in the coolest of ways..... but no where did I see it mentioned your radio MUST be PPM signal not PWM or you cant control the lights since they plug into the servo channel #5  so that's 10 bucks down the drain since it takes (signal) to tell the lights to light up. Oh well I guess ill run tradition LED lights that dont dance on command since im not replacing the radio system, Spectrum users take note! Ive read you can make a converter but im not converting my radio signal and adding possible ways to loose my craft to far off lands.

Anyhow one defeat and one Win but the Win is much larger so all in all Great Morning!
20150627_100544.jpg
20150627_100559.jpg
20150627_100615.jpg
2015-6-27
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

I found my Chair and Whip to tame this Lion in the sky its small and cheap its known as SONAR ,its amazing how much different the whole craft flies with sonar suddenly its behaving its not pitching rolling or acting like a trouble child on crack. WOW After a bit more fine tuning it think this beast will be ready for terminating!
2015-6-29
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

Im gonna change her a bit more , not that anyone cares at this point , but the ESC is to bulky so im changing to a much smaller and light weight set of ESC that will fit in the arms 16mm tubes this will really clean up the craft ,which is what the 4n1 im also changing the ESC type to bheli ONESHOT 125 rather than simonK and my GPS is in so she is one step closer to being done even thou im gone backwards ,,

About the LEDs Turns out the OrangeRx is just what the doctor ordered for combo GPS SONAR AND LED plus anything else it can take Turns out its simple to go PPM instead of PWM one simply need plug the #1 input from the FC to the Bind Channel and remove the rest of the Plugs tell Cleanflight to use PPM mode and vola! this frees the inputs to become UART instead and thus GPS and LEDs work fine ,the Led function is actually very cool ,just watch solider temp as it can ruin the LED strip fast!
2015-7-1
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

well Some parts came in but other are still lay in wait ,I hate waiting on parts but i figured i would update before all lost interest , but know its coming China is so slow some times.
2015-7-20
Use props
fjrn
lvl.1

United States

SO the Parts finally came in and after a hour of tinkering yes it flys and it flys nice , SO to answer the original question THe Y400 retile Mosquito will a naza fly it? Yes as a Y6 I tried a few battery options and my best time was 7 and half minutes with a 11.1v 1800mah which fits in the body and didnt get very hot at all , higher voltage(14.8) got very hot like a edf jet hot and didnt do it any favors for time , and thou im flying it with the Flip 32 + 10 DOF you could plan it to be a Naza craft and it would fly wonderful with or without GPS as mine does

I had fun with my First 4 flights already
2015-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules