Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Action - Rocksteady not working???
12Next >
12408 65 2019-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
verizon28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1444190 ft
United States

Got my Osmo Action the other day and updated the firmware twice so it’s at the latest version now. The Rocksteady EIS feature does not seem to be working in all modes. It seems to work in 4K24 but not in any other level in 4K. Same thing in the 1080p level. I tried it at 24, 30, and 60 and it wasn’t smooth. Rocksteady is in Blue on the resolution and frame rate page and RS is in the live view display. I tried a factory reset but it still is not working right. I have the Hero 7 Black and walked with both cameras and the 7 is definitely working while the Osmo is jumping everywhere. Any ideas here? I thought the reset might work but it did not.
2019-5-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi verizon28, sorry for the confusion caused. The RockSteady doesn't support 4K (4:3): 30,25,24fps; 1080p: 240,200,120,100fps and 720p: 240,200fps. Regarding the issue 4K 60fps with RockSteady, our engineers will optimize in the future update.  As for other resolution, may I have some samples for better assistance? Thanks in advance!
2019-5-23
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 870673 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 5-23 23:08
Hi verizon28, sorry for the confusion caused. The RockSteady doesn't support 4K (4:3): 30,25,24fps; 1080p: 240,200,120,100fps and 720p: 240,200fps. Regarding the issue 4K 60fps with RockSteady, our engineers will optimize in the future update.  As for other resolution, may I have some samples for better assistance? Thanks in advance!

Hi DJI Susan, are you saying 4K 60fps is supported but it is not fully optimized for RockSteady? Please take a look at my running video recorded with 4K 60fps. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... cksteady-is-working It's definitely not smooth like some of those YouTube reviews.

I also recorded in 4K 30fps walking down a hotel hallway and it was very wobbly with RockSteady enabled. Do I have a defective Osmo Action?
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Vaporay Posted at 5-26 20:17
Hi DJI Susan, are you saying 4K 60fps is supported but it is not fully optimized for RockSteady? Please take a look at my running video recorded with 4K 60fps. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/i-don-t-think-my-rocksteady-is-working It's definitely not smooth like some of those YouTube reviews.

I also recorded in 4K 30fps walking down a hotel hallway and it was very wobbly with RockSteady enabled. Do I have a defective Osmo Action?

Hi Vaporay, may I also have some samples under 4K 30 fps with RockSteady enabled? Also, it will be better to upload your operation video, we'd like to check.
2019-5-27
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rocksteady is incredible...i attached my OA to the windscreen of my car yesterday and went for a drive...the footage was perfectly stable like drone footage & my car has the worst suspension ever...unbelievable stuff.
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178688 ft
Canada

I have both the Hero 7 Black and Osmo Action. I was thinking that the OA Rocksteady was not working properly. I shoot in 4K30 with Dewarp. The EIS was bad enough that i thought it was not working. But i took Rocksteady off and i can see that it does work but the Hero 7 blows it away. There seems to be more side to side movement with the OA.
But on many Youtube videos that i've seen, the OA appears to be better than the Hero 7.
But with mine the Rocksteady mode seems to be performing subpar. Could it possibly have to do with the latest firmware update.
I love everything about the OA but the Rocksteady mode is making me reconsider this purchase.
Hopefully it is a firmware issue.
2019-5-27
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 5-27 02:26
Hi Vaporay, may I also have some samples under 4K 30 fps with RockSteady enabled? Also, it will be better to upload your operation video, we'd like to check.

Hi DJI Susan, please see the 4K 30fps RockSteady on wobble left and right handheld walking down a hotel hallway. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... ocksteady-on-wobble
2019-5-27
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

Duplicate post!
2019-5-27
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

Vaporay Posted at 5-27 19:17
Hi DJI Susan, please see the 4K 30fps RockSteady on wobble left and right handheld walking down a hotel hallway. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/osmo-action-4k-30fps-rocksteady-on-wobble

That is the exact issue (wobbling side to side) i am having too. It does it even when i'm trying to be smooth. I do the same video takes with the Hero 7 Black back to back with the OA. The H7B smooth as butter......the OA seems to oscillate side to side.
No one is complaining about it, except you and i. Maybe we have some sort of malfunction.
DJI could you please give some advice with this problem.
2019-5-28
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Does a person's stride or gait make a difference?  Are the close confines of the very adjacent walls accentuating the movements?

Here's my somewhat boring (I love the scenery) 4 minute segment of a 40+ minute hike, down some steps and then near the end, rocky trail surface:

Another segment from the hike:

Now this is my first action camera and maybe I don't have high expectations but it seems to perform fairly well.

2019-5-28
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Looks like you were recording in 4:3 format so maybe RS was not actually on
2019-5-28
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

fans273d858a Posted at 5-28 20:57
Looks like you were recording in 4:3 format so maybe RS was not actually on

If this is replying to me, it was definitely not 4:3. If RockSteady was not on, the stabilization would have been way worse.
2019-5-28
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

ff22 Posted at 5-28 05:22
Does a person's stride or gait make a difference?  Are the close confines of the very adjacent walls accentuating the movements?

Here's my somewhat boring (I love the scenery) 4 minute segment of a 40+ minute hike, down some steps and then near the end, rocky trail surface:

Nice scenery! Were you holding the Osmo Action by hand or was it attached to something? All these YouTube reviewers seem to use some sort of hand-held attachment. I've just been holding it by hand.
2019-5-28
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-28 03:32
That is the exact issue (wobbling side to side) i am having too. It does it even when i'm trying to be smooth. I do the same video takes with the Hero 7 Black back to back with the OA. The H7B smooth as butter......the OA seems to oscillate side to side.
No one is complaining about it, except you and i. Maybe we have some sort of malfunction.

Do you record with the Osmo Action directly by hand or attached to something?
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Vaporay Posted at 5-27 19:17
Hi DJI Susan, please see the 4K 30fps RockSteady on wobble left and right handheld walking down a hotel hallway. https://www.skypixel.com/videos/osmo-action-4k-30fps-rocksteady-on-wobble

Well received, I'll forward to our engineers to check the exact status and keep you updated.
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-28 03:32
No one is complaining about it, except you and i. Maybe we have some sort of malfunction.

Thanks for heading up. I've forwarded this to our engineers and will come back as long as there is an update.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

Can anyone help me to post videos from my OA to this post.
I've downloaded the video clips from the OA to my Android phone. Just don't know how to attach the video clips to this post??
Would appreciate your help, thanks.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

Here are 2 video clips of Rocksteady and Hypersmooth.
This is the OA Rocksteady:
https://youtu.be/AVPKjs5gZ8k

This is the GoPro Hero 7 B:
https://youtu.be/Xvpj2NhXKN8

Hopefully you can view the video clips.
In the videos, i am using a short selfie stick. I'm walking normally trying to hold selfie stick still. When i'm running or jogging, i'm trying to hold selfie stick still but not trying too hard.

You'll see that the OA is oscillating side to side compared to GP7.

2019-5-29
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Vaporay Posted at 5-28 22:08
Nice scenery! Were you holding the Osmo Action by hand or was it attached to something? All these YouTube reviewers seem to use some sort of hand-held attachment. I've just been holding it by hand.

I was actually hand holding.  I had the base attached but none of the adhesive mounts.  I had a lanyard around my neck.

Someone else mentioned that Rocksteady is not available in 4:3 but it is available - can't take a screen shot but the RS shows in a 4:3 format.  I've since switched to 16:9 since I do prefer that format for video.  The 4:3 was inadvertent but I'm not doing that hike again this year!!!  As an aside, I hit the shutter button on my phone using my nose! (g)

2019-5-29
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-29 03:39
Can anyone help me to post videos from my OA to this post.
I've downloaded the video clips from the OA to my Android phone. Just don't know how to attach the video clips to this post??
Would appreciate your help, thanks.

I am not sure but I believe you need to post the video to Youtube/etc and then post the link here.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

ff22 Posted at 5-29 09:19
I am not sure but I believe you need to post the video to Youtube/etc and then post the link here.

I just posted youtube links. But it is not highlighted
You have to input the code manually and you can see the videos. Sorry don't know how to highlight the code.
2019-5-29
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-29 09:41
I just posted youtube links. But it is not highlighted
You have to input the code manually and you can see the videos. Sorry don't know how to highlight the code.

When you hit REPLY, there are options to Upload/picture/link.  I believe you add the link to youtube???
2019-5-29
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-29 09:13
Here are 2 video clips of Rocksteady and Hypersmooth.
This is the OA Rocksteady:
https://youtu.be/AVPKjs5gZ8k

That side-to-side wobble is exactly the same in my videos. My running vid really shows it. So looks like it also occurs with a selfie stick. Really wondering if our Osmo Actions are part of a defective batch if all these YouTubers have not experienced this.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

Vaporay Posted at 5-29 12:34
That side-to-side wobble is exactly the same in my videos. My running vid really shows it. So looks like it also occurs with a selfie stick. Really wondering if our Osmo Actions are part of a defective batch if all these YouTubers have not experienced this.

That's what i'm thinking too. It must be a malfunction because i've see a lot of OA youtube videos where it outperforms the Gopro 7 Black. But clearly my GP7B is better at stabilization than my OA.This side to side movement happens outside as well in bright sunny conditions.
I've tried shooting in 4k30, 4k60, 2.7k60 and 2.7k30.....all in 16:9 mode.
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

Here are the videos:
Osmo Action:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPKjs5gZ8k

Hero 7 Black:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvpj2NhXKN8
2019-5-29
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

djiuserCCO Posted at 5-29 13:45
Here are the videos:
Osmo Action:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPKjs5gZ8k

Sorry, the youtube links is not highlighted.
2019-5-29
Use props
verizon28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1444190 ft
United States

So I was convinced that I had a bad Osmo Action unit as I’ve seen A LOT of great stabilized footage online from other users. I ordered a 2nd Osmo Action and this unit is fantastic. I’m guessing I just had a bad one. The original Osmo Action was really bad and, even though the RS was on, it just wasn’t near the GP7 footage. My new Osmo Action is as good as if not better than the GP7. SWEET! I contacted DJI’s tech team, sent them a link with my footage, and they approved the return for a refund.
2019-5-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

verizon28 Posted at 5-31 15:46
So I was convinced that I had a bad Osmo Action unit as I’ve seen A LOT of great stabilized footage online from other users. I ordered a 2nd Osmo Action and this unit is fantastic. I’m guessing I just had a bad one. The original Osmo Action was really bad and, even though the RS was on, it just wasn’t near the GP7 footage. My new Osmo Action is as good as if not better than the GP7. SWEET! I contacted DJI’s tech team, sent them a link with my footage, and they approved the return for a refund.

Glad you got is sorted out.  

Being new to Action cameras completely, I do know what to expect.  What is good stabilization and what fails.  

At the moment I'm exporting a video that I've just made filming with Rocksteady on and off and I've pasted them side-by-side.  Although I don't know if the output will be any good.

2019-5-31
Use props
Vaporay
lvl.4
United States

So I was convinced that I had a bad Osmo Action unit as I’ve seen A LOT of great stabilized footage online from other users. I ordered a 2nd Osmo Action and this unit is fantastic. I’m guessing I just had a bad one. The original Osmo Action was really bad and, even though the RS was on, it just wasn’t near the GP7 footage. My new Osmo Action is as good as if not better than the GP7. SWEET! I contacted DJI’s tech team, sent them a link with my footage, and they approved the return for a refund.

If that is the case, then I need to send my Osmo Action back for a refund too!
2019-5-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Okay, my very crude, side-by-side is now on Youtube.  I have to apologize for its rather awful filming.  I left the lens protector plastic on and did not notice it.  I'm still waiting for lens caps to come in to protect the camera in transit.  Then, one video is longer than the other so you will notice a black frame when it runs out.

BUT I think it does a reasonable job of showing the difference between Rocksteady on and off.

Without further ado:

2019-5-31
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

That's good to know that you got a good OA now. And it makes me feel better that i wasn't just imagining that my OA wasn't performing right in Rocksteady mode.
2019-5-31
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Lake 22 look damn fine, my country have nothing that even just ultra remotely look like that.
Rocksteady seem to be working fine for me, so much so i wish if it could be made to run with 4K/30 HDR if the rocksteady was loosened up a little

2019-6-1
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

peiter Posted at 6-1 00:02
Lake 22 look damn fine, my country have nothing that even just ultra remotely look like that.
Rocksteady seem to be working fine for me, so much so i wish if it could be made to run with 4K/30 HDR if the rocksteady was loosened up a little

Nice dog.

I have to admit that I don't know about Denmark's geography or topography.  I've been to Norway for three weeks of cross-country skiing last year.  No mountains in Denmark?  

Washington State has everything fortunately.  Pacific Ocean and Puget Sound, large mountains including 5 larger volcanoes (Mt Rainier is over 14,000 feet (3 or 4,000 meters), and east of the mountains we have desert.  Of course, one day those volcanoes and earthquakes will get us!!!!

I did get my drone out on one nice flight:

2019-6-1
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

peiter Posted at 6-1 00:02

Looks like you got an OA unit where Rocksteady is working properly.
Wish mine could perform like that.
2019-6-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Tallest "mountain here are not even 200 M tall, and all "mountains" here are just piles of dirt pushed up by the ice during the last ice age, absolutely no rock here aside for stones picked up North / East of us by the last ice age and then ditched here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ... ountains_in_Denmark
I recorded that with D cinelike and dident bother do anything to it in post, so colors are a bit lackluster on the dog walk.
We don't even have winters anymore, though Denmark are as far north on the globe as the US / Canada border, last 5 years in my area we have had a total of 20 inches of snow
2019-6-1
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

peiter Posted at 6-1 07:19
Tallest "mountain here are not even 200 M tall, and all "mountains" here are just piles of dirt pushed up by the ice during the last ice age, absolutely no rock here aside for stones picked up North / East of us by the last ice age and then ditched here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ... ountains_in_Denmark
I recorded that with D cinelike and dident bother do anything to it in post, so colors are a bit lackluster on the dog walk.

Wow.  I really had no idea - you are more like the Netherlands!  You could go to Greenland.

Seattle does not generally get much snow but we actually had more than usual this past Winter.  But the mountains get a ton of snow about 40 miles east of Seattle.  But even the mountains are getting less and it is melting sooner in Spring.

I've not even looked at the D cinelike features.  I'm not looking at creating award winning features.  I knew about GoPro but never really considered buying one.  I don't do any dramatic back-country skiing anymore but maybe I will take it next Winter to the Dolomites and Austria cross-country skiing.   I got this due to the DJI drone and figured - why not (g)  Really, a rather "spur of the moment" purchase.

But I need some gear to attach it to my daypack or hat or some such.  I did buy a GoPro mini selfie stick but have not used it.  The shots above were taken with my holding it in my hand with a lanyard around my neck so I don't drop it.

2019-6-1
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I have been to Greenland 2 times work related, almost as far north as the Thule AFB, but really way too cold for me here and not least up there, after working in much hotter places anything under 20 deg C and i start to look for my ski underwear.
I use a "little" cheap Yungteng 188 selfie stick as i am now too old and stiff to bend over too often to get that shot.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... le/32811502533.html

Seem durable enough but really i have not used mine too much or too hard.
Also i need to whip some mount up that let me mount the camera on the shoulder strap of my backpack i use for the little things when we are out driving with the little RC 4 x 4 trucks.

Last year i had a 128 KM walk planned but had to pass on it as i am only able to walk 10 Km a day,,,,,, at least for 2 days in a row, and my plan was to walk 20 km in a day and so do the walk in a weeks time.
I think i better stay with smaller hikes in local forests and a sleepover under the stars now and then.
Good thing is Danish forests are also small, so no chance of getting lost, only BUT nowadays the wolf or a few of them have returned to Denmark, but if they plan on making me dinner they will taste my cold steel.
I have been close to one already, did not scare me one bit, sadly a night where i did not bring a camera and my 5000 lumen flashlight made the "dog" run when i cranked it up.
2019-6-1
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

peiter Posted at 6-1 09:35
I have been to Greenland 2 times work related, almost as far north as the Thule AFB, but really way too cold for me here and not least up there, after working in much hotter places anything under 20 deg C and i start to look for my ski underwear.
I use a "little" cheap Yungteng 188 selfie stick as i am now too old and stiff to bend over too often to get that shot.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... le/32811502533.html

I don't like hot and I still enjoy cross-country skiing.  But, I, too, am old.  I no longer backpack - one hip has been replaced twice but I do still cross-country ski and hike and Lake 22 is tough - lots of rocks and roots.   That's why it was a good test of the Action.  I only took video of the 1.5 mile loop but left out the trip UP to the lake on rough surface.

70F or, what about 23C is okay.  
2019-6-1
Use props
paul050079
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Anyway guys getting back to the topic of the thread my Osmo action does not work at all in any mode with rock steady enabled, bought it from a third party seller, what is my best action just to send it back I guesss as there seems to be no software or firmware solution?
2019-6-1
Use props
djiuserCCO
lvl.3
Canada

paul050079 Posted at 6-1 23:09
Anyway guys getting back to the topic of the thread my Osmo action does not work at all in any mode with rock steady enabled, bought it from a third party seller, what is my best action just to send it back I guesss as there seems to be no software or firmware solution?

That's what i'm doing. The Rocksteady on mine works but the oscillating side to side is unacceptable for me.
So i'm returning mine but i'm also going to buy a new one and hope that i get a unit where Rocksteady works as it should.
2019-6-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules