Pre-Purchase Question
940 3 2019-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sxross
New

United States

I've been thinking about buying a drone for several years (since the Phantom 2, to be exact), but not yet pulled the trigger. I have my eye on the Mavic Pro 2, and there seems to be a crazy-varied array of product offerings on B&H. I'm quite familiar with how to navigate the purchase of a still camera. A drone, not so much.

My questions:

• Will I be able to learn and fly this drone? I don't want to plant a $1K+ device into the ground. If learning is a throw-away experience, is a less expensive drone advisable?
  • Does the base product come with everything I need? I plan to travel with it in and outside the US. Seems there are configurations with "Fly More Combo Kit" and separately "With Smart Controller". Each of these options moves the price point closer to $2K. Advice?
  • I've read that focus and exposure are somewhat manual on the Mavic Pro 2. What does this mean in practice? Say you are flying along cliffs at the seacoast exposing for the ambient sunny conditions, then you turn toward land, drop down and move in for a view of a sea cave. How do you keep exposure even in spite of changing light and while adjusting for focus as you decrease range?

I assume these are simple-stupid questions for those experienced with drones, and particularly DJI, but I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Thanks in advance!

--sr
2019-5-24
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10411017 ft
Canada

Well friend you are not the only one who has had that feeling.  For months on end  I viewed videos on the Mavic Pro  over and over, decided that was the drone I was to purchase, once I received it I was so very anxious to fly it, I was a nervous wreck, man that’s more than 1k invested in this toy, beginners flight mode  is the best thing DJI  introduced,  only used that flight mode that one time,  just take it very slow at first  you’ll find that the Mavic is a superb drone,
2019-5-24
Use props
GhostintheSky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207936 ft
United States

You will be able to fly the drone. You just have to take your time and learn the controls a little at a time. There are basic exercises that can help you learn, such as doing figure 8's in the air, sending the drone away from you, turning 180 and coming back to you, etc.  There is a beginner mode DJI sets in the drones/controllers that sets the amount of distance you can fly from the controller and height. You can make changes to the distance/heights or true it off when you feel ready.
2019-6-22
Use props
GhostintheSky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207936 ft
United States

The fly more kit is a kit that gives you more batteries (since each battery can last up to 30  minutes of flight time), the battery charger to charge multiple batteries at the same time, car charger, extra propellers, and back pack. Basically, to help you fly more and charge on the go.  The Smart controller, allows for a bigger, brighter and stronger control on the mavic 2. If you don't mind using your cell phone as the screen, you will be fine. The smart controller just allows a bigger view and stronger signal with the drone, which can give you a greater distance of flying and controlling the drone more.  But the smart controller also will allow you do post to facebook, or use other apps/tasks right from the controller.  For focus and exposure the drone camera has the limits like any other camera but with the different types of lighting, you can purchase the lens kit to help with the overall exposure. I am not fully knowledgable on the lens/exposures. WIth any drone, you just have to realize that a strong wind can affect your flying too. Usually the software/controller will flash a warning that you are flying in high winds.  You definitely not the only one nervous about getting their first drone and the money spent on it. I just advise to take it slow on flying while learning. Don't rush it until you feel comfortable with the controls. The best thing that DJI has with their drones is let go of the sticks and the drone will stop and hover where it is at.   The Mavic is a popular and good drone. Look into DJI care service too for the first year that can help you if by chance the drone does get damaged.
2019-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules