Osmo Pocket face tracking is good but
3675 13 2019-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hierarch
lvl.1

United States

I got it a few days ago and I really like it. Tho I wonder why face tracking is not continuous once it loose tracking such as turn my head against Osmo Pocket? Once it fails to track my face, then it won't track my face again.

Does it able to re-track the face after it fails to track the face?
2019-5-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The maximum distance of FaceTrack is 2 meters.
The maximum distance of head-and-shoulder track is 5 meters.
The size of different objects is uncertain, making it hard to estimate the exact distance. The initialization box is required to be no less than 1/10 of the screen size.
FaceTrack is enabled automatically if a face is detected in Selfie mode. FaceTrack captures every move of your face. Head-and-shoulder track is a sort of FaceTrack when the camera is facing toward the user. Head-and-shoulder track captures every move of your head and shoulder. Hope that this information would satisfy your query for today. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think the tracking on the OP is pretty impressive, however I agree with your question - when it looses tracking - why does it simply not resume tracking when the object is recognised again ?

DJI Tony - I think you have provided useful info on what the face tracking criteria is, however with respect it doesn't answer the original question.

Since it would seem an obvious action to 'retrack' after loss of track I do wonder if its do with how the tracking is done. Maybe it is adaptive and once the tracking lock has gone, it can't pick up with new video frames. I'm  surprised though, would have thought you would just park the tracking info once lost and keep looking for that object and restart tracking once its seen again ?
2019-5-25
Use props
Hierarch
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 5-24 13:33
The size of different objects is uncertain, making it hard to estimate the exact distance. The initialization box is required to be no less than 1/10 of the screen size.

"
I think the tracking on the OP is pretty impressive, however I agree with your question - when it looses tracking - why does it simply not resume tracking when the object is recognised again ?

DJI Tony - I think you have provided useful info on what the face tracking criteria is, however with respect it doesn't answer the original question.

Since it would seem an obvious action to 'retrack' after loss of track I do wonder if its do with how the tracking is done. Maybe it is adaptive and once the tracking lock has gone, it can't pick up with new video frames. I'm  surprised though, would have thought you would just park the tracking info once lost and keep looking for that object and restart tracking once its seen again ?"

DJI Tony. This is my real question that MKosmo replied. With the selfie face tracking, it works great but once I turn my face against Osmo Pocket, then it wont track my face again until I touch and re-activate the face tracking.

Is it a technical issue which can not be solved or can DJI improve it with firmware updates?
2019-5-25
Use props
Hierarch
lvl.1

United States

"

Since it would seem an obvious action to 'retrack' after loss of track I do wonder if its do with how the tracking is done. Maybe it is adaptive and once the tracking lock has gone, it can't pick up with new video frames. I'm  surprised though, would have thought you would just park the tracking info once lost and keep looking for that object and restart tracking once its seen again ?"

DJI Tony. This is my real question that MKosmo replied. With the selfie face tracking, it works great but once I turn my face against Osmo Pocket, then it wont track my face again until I touch and re-activate the face tracking.

Is it a technical issue which can not be solved or can DJI improve it with firmware updates?
2019-5-25
Use props
Hierarch
lvl.1

United States

"I think the tracking on the OP is pretty impressive, however I agree with your question - when it looses tracking - why does it simply not resume tracking when the object is recognised again ?

(Ignore those duplicated replies.)
2019-5-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I haven't tested it in depth myself, but I suspect from my limited use of this feature that there's a timeout of some kind happening.  I've seen the box go red when it loses my face, then green again if it sees it shortly afterwards.  But how long is 'shortly'?  I guess methodical testing is needed.  Also, as the face is tracked, there must be continuous updating of what the face recognised should look like, as it moves around etc.  So when it comes back into view, if it doesn't seem to be very similar to how it was when it went out of view (expression, distance etc), then maybe the tracking will fail.
2019-5-25
Use props
Hierarch
lvl.1

United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-25 23:49
I haven't tested it in depth myself, but I suspect from my limited use of this feature that there's a timeout of some kind happening.  I've seen the box go red when it loses my face, then green again if it sees it shortly afterwards.  But how long is 'shortly'?  I guess methodical testing is needed.  Also, as the face is tracked, there must be continuous updating of what the face recognised should look like, as it moves around etc.  So when it comes back into view, if it doesn't seem to be very similar to how it was when it went out of view (expression, distance etc), then maybe the tracking will fail.

Doesnt matter.

Because DJI Osmo Pocket lose face tracking right after I turn my face away from it. And then, it wont be able to track my face until I re-activate it by touch my face on its display!
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hierarch Posted at 5-25 08:45
"I think the tracking on the OP is pretty impressive, however I agree with your question - when it looses tracking - why does it simply not resume tracking when the object is recognised again ?

DJI Tony - I think you have provided useful info on what the face tracking criteria is, however with respect it doesn't answer the original question.

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We may need to check this situation with our related team, however, if this function would be a normal scenario, we will consider this as a suggestion and forward it to our designated department for attention. Thank you for understanding.
2019-5-27
Use props
Simon Sez
New

United Kingdom

Bumping this up as I think this should be looked at. I shoot dance videos very often with my dance partner and sadly often times the tracking gets confused and does not reengage making this feature useless to us...
2020-3-7
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

Hierarch Posted at 2019-5-26 05:26
Doesnt matter.

Because DJI Osmo Pocket lose face tracking right after I turn my face away from it. And then, it wont be able to track my face until I re-activate it by touch my face on its display!

That's exactly what I experience too. I have to touch screen to re-activate Face Tracking mode again.
2020-3-12
Use props
theinfinate79
lvl.2
Flight distance : 405344 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-5-27 12:45
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. We may need to check this situation with our related team, however, if this function would be a normal scenario, we will consider this as a suggestion and forward it to our designated department for attention. Thank you for understanding.

Pleas DJI fix this, this is a massive fail on what us creators want.  Please fix and update firmware to have face tracking always looking for a face.  There is a yellow box that identifies my face after it looses it so I know its possible to change your firmware programming.  Please listen to us DJI
2020-5-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

On the Fimi Palm it will track any face that comes into view.  The Pocket seems to work on the basis of tracking the first face it sees and then it stops tracking altogether when that particular face is lost.  Tracking any face can work well if only one face is present (vlogging for instance) but results can be unexpected if there are more.  If you put the Palm in front of a TV, the results can be pretty funny as it whips around trying to track every face that appears on the screen.  

To track in the way some here are suggesting would seem to need the Pocket to be able to remember a face as well as track it, which probably wouldn't be a trivial upgrade at this point.  To make an option to track all faces would probably be a more realistic request, so that if I left the room and came back it would continue tracking me - but if I left the room and my wife then entered, it would track her, which might or might not be what you want.  

Bottom line - to make a feature request on this subject, it's necessary to specify precisely what the behaviour should be under various scenarios.
2020-5-9
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-9 14:23
On the Fimi Palm it will track any face that comes into view.  The Pocket seems to work on the basis of tracking the first face it sees and then it stops tracking altogether when that particular face is lost.  Tracking any face can work well if only one face is present (vlogging for instance) but results can be unexpected if there are more.  If you put the Palm in front of a TV, the results can be pretty funny as it whips around trying to track every face that appears on the screen.  

To track in the way some here are suggesting would seem to need the Pocket to be able to remember a face as well as track it, which probably wouldn't be a trivial upgrade at this point.  To make an option to track all faces would probably be a more realistic request, so that if I left the room and came back it would continue tracking me - but if I left the room and my wife then entered, it would track her, which might or might not be what you want.  

A simple solution would be if it loses face tracking and there are multiple faces it starts to track the face nearest where it lost the original track.
2020-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules