Phantom 3 Standard fell out of the sky by itself
1404 7 2019-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fransje123
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi folks,

My Phantom 3 Standard literally fell out of the sky two days ago while flying at 16 meters altitude. Did not crash into something, no birds, bullets, whatsoever.
Complete loss of power while the drone battery was at 60% juice and remote battery ~90%. Crashed onto the ground, with broken camera / gimbal / cables / propellers as a result (see attached pictures).
Flying with the original battery, latest firmware, all set.
The last moment in the flight log looks as follows:
Schermafdruk_20190525-135506.jpeg

Already called DJI support, but my warranty has ended since the product is > 2 years old.
What are my opportunities in this situation? Do I have any rights to claim this is not my fault? I cannot believe this...
Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers.
IMG_20190523_092158-min1.jpg
IMG_20190523_092220-min.jpg
IMG_20190523_092234-min.jpg
IMG_20190523_092244-min.jpg
2019-5-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.

If the warranty is expired, you have no claims available, regardless of why your property's value was lost.  Still - it would be good info for yourself and the membership if we could figure out why the AC dropped.  Please upload your log to the site linked below.  

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Please post resulting link back here and somebody will try to assess what happened:
2019-5-25
Use props
Fransje123
lvl.2
Netherlands

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your quick response. You can find the log on the following website:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8US35O0P36LT4DKGP397/

Looks like battery cell 1 had a dropout. I have no idea how this could have happened.
2019-5-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Fransje123 Posted at 5-26 02:59
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your quick response. You can find the log on the following website:

Wow - you're right.  Cell 1 just died without warning and for seemingly no particular reason other than it being two years old.  Probably had a lot of flights on it?  Manufactured date says June, 2016.  Useful life says 92% which isn't bad at all.  You launched just slightly cold but it warmed up quickly.  I can't find any obvious problems with the battery or the flight.  That's really horrible luck.  It's rare to see something like this from an OEM battery.  Sorry.

It's kind of interesting that Cell 2's voltage increased almost exactly as much and at the same fraction of a second that Cell 1's voltage dropped.  Not sure what to make of that...
2019-5-26
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You never know when a battery's gonna give it up.  Sorry this happened to ya.
2019-5-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

What about swelling?  Was there any swelling on this battery - especially on the sides?  Even a little bit?  Or was it rock hard?  Swelling is one thing that doesn't show up in the logs.  I once had a swollen battery that I flew and it wanted to auto land at 29%.  It also dropped in so-called percentage of charge very very rapidly at the end of the flight.  
2019-5-27
Use props
Fransje123
lvl.2
Netherlands

Mark The Droner Posted at 5-26 04:56
Wow - you're right.  Cell 1 just died without warning and for seemingly no particular reason other than it being two years old.  Probably had a lot of flights on it?  Manufactured date says June, 2016.  Useful life says 92% which isn't bad at all.  You launched just slightly cold but it warmed up quickly.  I can't find any obvious problems with the battery or the flight.  That's really horrible luck.  It's rare to see something like this from an OEM battery.  Sorry.

It's kind of interesting that Cell 2's voltage increased almost exactly as much and at the same fraction of a second that Cell 1's voltage dropped.  Not sure what to make of that...

I have never seen swelling on the battery. At least not when I took it out / put it in the drone.
Did not do a lot of flights in these years, I guess between 30 and 40. Where did you see the useful life of 92%?
2019-5-27
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Fransje123 Posted at 5-27 09:31
I have never seen swelling on the battery. At least not when I took it out / put it in the drone.
Did not do a lot of flights in these years, I guess between 30 and 40. Where did you see the useful life of 92%?

In the "Verbose CSV" log.

It's easier to see the swelling if you push in on the sides of the battery.  If it's hard like a rock, there's no swelling.  If it's the least bit soft or mushy, there is swelling.  

2019-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules