41318 241 2019-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Really sorry to hear that

By the way, have anyone ever had it twice? I mean encountered the same problem again with a replacement unit? I am trying to figure out if there is anything special with the replacement units...

2019-7-13
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Vietnam

After being annoyed with this I decided to take out battery and put it in a few times, then suddenly came comes back working great then dies after 15 seconds I can replicate this but it always dies after about 15 seconds. Anyone else have this problem.
2019-7-13
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Vietnam

After being annoyed with this I decided to take out battery and put it in a few times, then suddenly came comes back working great then dies after 15 seconds I can replicate this but it always dies after about 15 seconds. Anyone else have this problem.
2019-7-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog Posted at 7-13 20:01
I'm another victim of this flaw. Pretty annoyed to be honest as bought camera while on holiday and the thing just dies in fist few weeks now I am out of pocket and without a decent camera. As much as I dislike go pros I think I should have went with the tried and tested. I will have to wait until I have to return home before I have it sent back to get repaired. But it is a bit like buying a brand new car and having it brake down an hour away from the dealer.

"As much as I dislike go pros I think I should have went with the tried and tested."

I did consider the gopro after my recent Osmo Action firmware problem (now sorted), and for the same reason, but if you read into things it seems they have similar issues with their flagship model.
With what seems a significant number reporting hero 7 freezing up and other problems.

2019-7-14
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog Posted at 7-13 22:05

I had tried removing the battery a few times but did not make any difference for me at the time. Did not try  very persistently though...
2019-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 7-14 01:02
"As much as I dislike go pros I think I should have went with the tried and tested."

I did consider the gopro after my recent Osmo Action firmware problem (now sorted), and for the same reason, but if you read into things it seems they have similar issues with their flagship model.

I own a go pro7 , and it has many problems some small and very niggly but they are there, only problem I’ve had was with power suddenly cutting out , this has been resolved and I received new unit been using it for a few days now with no problems, my overall impression with OA is that it is a great little unit also think teething problems will be sorted as we go along and Camera will improve, just my 2p worth .
2019-7-14
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog Posted at 7-13 22:05

Make sure the battery is fully seated with both locking tabs?
2019-7-14
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Vietnam

Visual Air Posted at 7-14 18:49
Make sure the battery is fully seated with both locking tabs?

Yes I have tried every possible configuration now. Still not working. Correctly just shuts off after 15 seconds.
2019-7-15
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

To answer my own question; my replacement unit died on me the same way (there is a good chance I hold the world record now). This time it was at the beginning of it's second charge, so I was able to use it through one charge at least.

In all fairness, the people at my local DJI distributor (who are also in charge of the warranty) were really sympathetic about the problem, and they sent me a brand new, sealed box as replacement. So quite likely the two faulty units were from the same batch.

I am beginning to think this is a "bad batch" problem...
2019-7-15
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Netherlands

I am trying to narrow down why this keeps happening, so I will resort to some old school deduction:

If it was a "bad batch" problem; most of that batch, if not all,  should have been returned by now (maybe they have been, I don't know). Yet, I assume in that case there would have been much more of an outcry...

If it was what I might have been doing differently; the brevity of my experience makes that impossible. I got to charge and use the first device once, and the second one twice. I used the supplied cables. The only thing that touched both units that did not came out of their own boxes was my SD card, which I have been using in my Mavic Air and Osmo Pocket without any issues since the day I bought them...

If it was me updating to the new firmware; then why is the same firmware still there if there is anything wrong with it...

This only leaves the option that I am the unluckiest guy on the planet. Despite the overwhelming evidence, I would rather disregard that

Any suggestions?
2019-7-15
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 7-15 18:53
I am trying to narrow down why this keeps happening, so I will resort to some old school deduction:

If it was a "bad batch" problem; most of that batch, if not all,  should have been returned by now (maybe they have been, I don't know). Yet, I assume in that case there would have been much more of an outcry...

Do I recall it did NOT come with an adapter???   Is it possible the adapter you and others with the problem used might have caused an issue?  I am not sure that I've used a wall adapter with mine.  I've generally plugged it into the computer to grab files off of it.  I may have even done that the first time when registering, etc using the App,  I may have sat down at my desk, got out my tablet, downloaded the app and plugged the phone into the computer.  But frankly I don't recall if I charged using a wall adapter?
2019-7-15
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Netherlands

ff22 Posted at 7-15 19:21
Do I recall it did NOT come with an adapter???   Is it possible the adapter you and others with the problem used might have caused an issue?  I am not sure that I've used a wall adapter with mine.  I've generally plugged it into the computer to grab files off of it.  I may have even done that the first time when registering, etc using the App,  I may have sat down at my desk, got out my tablet, downloaded the app and plugged the phone into the computer.  But frankly I don't recall if I charged using a wall adapter?

I also considered that briefly but I had charged one with my laptop and the other with my charging adapter (pure coincidence). I use one of these two (depending on convenience) for all my devices, including Osmo Pocket; and I have never ever had an issue with anything else...

It is an option worth considering though, thank you for the input.

2019-7-15
Use props
The Quadfather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Would be great if DJI themselves could join this discussion on their brand new product...
2019-7-15
Use props
fans6e88faa9
New
Flight distance : 89393 ft
Australia

It was working so well yesterday. Woke up this morning and tried turning it ON but it didn't work. I thought I forgot to charge it last night so I immediately plug the charging cable. I noticed the red LED charging indicator did not turned on. Tried pressing and holding the power button for quite some time hoping it will reboot but still DEAD. Checked the forum if any one else is having the same problem and I just saw this right now. I realized I'm not the only one who has this problem. DJI please help
2019-7-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

fans6e88faa9 Posted at 7-17 01:14
It was working so well yesterday. Woke up this morning and tried turning it ON but it didn't work. I thought I forgot to charge it last night so I immediately plug the charging cable. I noticed the red LED charging indicator did not turned on. Tried pressing and holding the power button for quite some time hoping it will reboot but still DEAD. Checked the forum if any one else is having the same problem and I just saw this right now. I realized I'm not the only one who has this problem. DJI please help

Sorry to hear that, and welcome to the club
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

fans6e88faa9 Posted at 7-17 01:14
It was working so well yesterday. Woke up this morning and tried turning it ON but it didn't work. I thought I forgot to charge it last night so I immediately plug the charging cable. I noticed the red LED charging indicator did not turned on. Tried pressing and holding the power button for quite some time hoping it will reboot but still DEAD. Checked the forum if any one else is having the same problem and I just saw this right now. I realized I'm not the only one who has this problem. DJI please help

Looks like your best bet is to ship back and get it fixed or replaced , mine was replaced, I think this might be a problem with batteries .
2019-7-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 7-17 01:44
Looks like your best bet is to ship back and get it fixed or replaced , mine was replaced, I think this might be a problem with batteries .

That's what I was hoping when I had the first one but I was told that mine wasn't a battery (only) problem. I also got a full replacement. I am still trying to figure out a pattern. All suggestions are welcome...
2019-7-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

There is a new firmware out by the way (01.04.00.10). I wonder if it makes any difference with the "sudden death" phenomenon...
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

CemAygun Posted at 7-17 02:08
That's what I was hoping when I had the first one but I was told that mine wasn't a battery (only) problem. I also got a full replacement. I am still trying to figure out a pattern. All suggestions are welcome...

As I said I’m not sure, it’s a pity dji wouldn’t just admit to what caused and is causing this .
2019-7-17
Use props
fans3481afaf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 233527 ft
Switzerland

Mine died today after 3 days of fun...
Now i‘ll bring it back to my local reseller and take the gopro.
2019-7-17
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Its a bit concerning this - without knowing the root cause , could this happen to any of the actions at any time from now ?
2019-7-17
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

MKosmo Posted at 7-17 08:12
Its a bit concerning this - without knowing the root cause , could this happen to any of the actions at any time from now ?

Yes, that has me concerned, too.  Relying on it for once-in-a-lifetime vacations and having it just DIE would be more than irritating.  
2019-7-17
Use props
fans788a1c8d
lvl.1
Iceland

hallmark007 Posted at 6-17 15:43
Yeah it looks like there might be some problem here, I count 5 now with Same problem same symptoms, I’m hoping to get mine sent back in the next two days .

I have exact the same problem! I’m in Iceland for another 3 weeks and cant get it on anymore...
2019-7-17
Use props
mppn
lvl.2
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 7-17 04:32
There is a new firmware out by the way (01.04.00.10). I wonder if it makes any difference with the "sudden death" phenomenon...

I was going to update and all of a sudden, it won't start... which made me come here to see all of you having that same problem! I was so happy when I returned the GoPro Hero 7 Black which had many many problems and found DJI having almost none. So now I'm having a brick. was expecting to use it next week on vacation but it's dead... really don't know what to say about this. GoPro and DJI have major issues with that product category. it's sad...
2019-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

fans788a1c8d Posted at 7-17 12:19
I have exact the same problem! I’m in Iceland for another 3 weeks and cant get it on anymore...

That’s tough, hope you get sorted soon.
2019-7-17
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Thailand

Has anyone figure out a way of fixing this themselves S I am travelling at the minute and would like to have a working action cam.
2019-7-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog Posted at 7-20 23:20
Has anyone figure out a way of fixing this themselves S I am travelling at the minute and would like to have a working action cam.

A work around might be to power the device via the USB C port using a power bank battery. This might work if it's a battery or battery connection problem. If the camera isn't in a lot of action itself then this 'might' work for your requirements.
2019-7-21
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mppn Posted at 7-17 15:08
I was going to update and all of a sudden, it won't start... which made me come here to see all of you having that same problem! I was so happy when I returned the GoPro Hero 7 Black which had many many problems and found DJI having almost none. So now I'm having a brick. was expecting to use it next week on vacation but it's dead... really don't know what to say about this. GoPro and DJI have major issues with that product category. it's sad...

I wonder if in this product category the competition and time to market is so critical that maybe testing is not as thorough as other products perhaps ?

I'm not getting into a Gopro vs Dji debate since I do think there are plus and minus's for both models but having a look at the Gopro forum was surprised how many issues there are - considering they are on version 7 and the action cam has been their staple for years.
2019-7-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Aardvark Posted at 7-21 00:03
A work around might be to power the device via the USB C port using a power bank battery. This might work if it's a battery or battery connection problem. If the camera isn't in a lot of action itself then this #might' work for your requirements.

My first time I was told that mine was not a battery related problem (or at least battery was not the cause), and I got a full replacement. I guess it is pretty similar for everyone.

Hooking it up to a charger did not do anything; not even a single light turned on. But I have noticed something strange: if I hooked it up in it's bricked form to my pc, the laptop would recognize that something is plugged in (so it was not totally dead), but of course would not recognize it or initialize it as a drive...

I have not heard from the second one that died on me yet...

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any "do it yourself" kind of solutions so far. I believe everbody got a replacement (parts or full), which I guess means there is not an easy/software fix...

2019-7-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

The strange thing is; this "sudden death" problem seems to have started around the release of 01.03 firmware, and we have not had a new report here since the release of 01.04... Coincidence?
2019-7-21
Use props
mppn
lvl.2
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 7-21 05:46
The strange thing is; this "sudden death" problem seems to have started around the release of 01.03 firmware, and we have not had a new report here since the release of 01.04... Coincidence?

So your second failed camera was also updated to 01.03 and never got the chance to go to 01.04? interesting then. I'm waiting for another osmo action I ordered. will update to 01.04 first thing and we'll see how it goes then
2019-7-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

mppn Posted at 7-21 06:57
So your second failed camera was also updated to 01.03 and never got the chance to go to 01.04? interesting then. I'm waiting for another osmo action I ordered. will update to 01.04 first thing and we'll see how it goes then

Exactly. I even thought about not updating it, but it was quite unusable with the "day 1" firmware (dewarp always turning off etc. etc.) so I did. If I knew there was a new firmware coming this quick, I would have waited.

Not that there is any proof of .03 firmware being the problem. In the end we still don't know...
2019-7-21
Use props
mppn
lvl.2
Canada

CemAygun Posted at 7-21 07:06
Exactly. I even thought about not updating it, but it was quite unusable with the "day 1" firmware (dewarp always turning off etc. etc.) so I did. If I knew there was a new firmware coming this quick, I would have waited.

Not that there is any proof of .03 firmware being the problem. In the end we still don't know...

I the new camera (I bought a second one to have it while the first one get the repair. Updated it to .04 and it is charging without any issue. will use it a lot during the week and I hope it wont fail.... Will report back here after the week
2019-7-21
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

mppn Posted at 7-21 12:54
I the new camera (I bought a second one to have it while the first one get the repair. Updated it to .04 and it is charging without any issue. will use it a lot during the week and I hope it wont fail.... Will report back here after the week

That would be great, thanks a lot...
2019-7-21
Use props
Jirongie
New
South Korea

I have the same problem. I tried to email the dji support. they said, i have to set an appointment for repair service.. but date is already full i can't set appointment. Can i call the set reserve an appointment via call?
2019-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CemAygun Posted at 7-21 18:33
That would be great, thanks a lot...

I have been using my new OA with no problems for 10 days now, every5hing good so far underwater on land on the car everything fine fingers crossed .
2019-7-22
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

hallmark007 Posted at 7-22 14:29
I have been using my new OA with no problems for 10 days now, every5hing good so far underwater on land on the car everything fine fingers crossed .

Really good to hear that Hallmark As far as I know, I am the only one with two dead ones in a row, which means everybody else that had the problem did not have any further issues with their repaired/replaced units...

I personally do not have an issue with this particular problem even if it happened to me twice. Almost three weeks after buying the product I still don't have have a working unit, and I am fine with it; I consider the whole episode as a probable risk of being an early adopter.

What I am not fine with is the "official" silence shrouding the problem. Whatever the actual reason for the problem is, it can never be as bad as "not knowing". If you don't know why this happened or whether the problem has been fully addressed, it is only logical to think that it might happen again, at any time.

I believe action cameras are almost exclusively used for "special moments". Whether it is a vacation or a sports event, you don't want to miss it; that is why you have an action cam. Not knowing if your camera will turn on at the very moment you need it most or not, renders it obsolete.

For a company there are two ways to deal with a problem like this: They can acknowledge the problem, find a solution and inform the public about the cause and the fix. Or they can be totally silent about it, quietly remedy it in the background (via hardware replacements and/or software fixes) and wait for the buzz to eventually fade into the past. Apparently DJI has taken the second route, and I respect their choice.

Yet, I have noticed, I would never be able to trust my OA again, not until I know what has happened so that I can also know it won't recur. So, sadly, I applied for a return, although I am past my vendor's legal obligation to accept returns. We will see how they respond in a few days.

Frankly, a little disclosure would have gone a long way in reinstating my trust in the product, but that is unlikely to happen.

Cheers

PS: My wife, who we bought the OA for in the first place, totally disowned it after the second failure, but I fell in love with it this time. Even if my return request is granted, I will probably buy it again in the future, when I am sure the problem is fully fixed.

2019-7-22
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Thailand

I tried plugging mine in directly to power bank wall outlet without battery, it powered on and then it shut off after about 10 seconds. So no point trying to buy and a new battery to see does that remedy the issue. Every other button apart from the power on button work until it shuts off. Is it possible this button isn't functioning properly? Does it work for anyone else while it powers on.
2019-7-22
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog Posted at 7-22 19:08
I tried plugging mine in directly to power bank wall outlet without battery, it powered on and then it shut off after about 10 seconds. So no point trying to buy and a new battery to see does that remedy the issue. Every other button apart from the power on button work until it shuts off. Is it possible this button isn't functioning properly? Does it work for anyone else while it powers on.

I never tried plugging in without the battery; but with the battery installed, mine never turned on wherever I plugged... Apart from my PC detecting that something is plugged in, it was totally bricked...
2019-7-22
Use props
djiuser_i3s3mTJ1eEog
lvl.2
Thailand

I tried plugging mine in directly to power bank wall outlet without battery, it powered on and then it shut off after about 10 seconds. So no point trying to buy and a new battery to see does that remedy the issue. Every other button apart from the power on button work until it shuts off. Is it possible this button isn't functioning properly? Does it work for anyone else while it powers on.
2019-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules