Variable ND Filter for Osmo Pocket is finally here! (from Kase)
12Next >
7387 42 2019-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Hi All,

Thanks to theprisoner6666 who broke the news on availablity of Variable ND filter for Pocket, I recently received one and tested it for sometimes.

002.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG

It is again from the 'Kase Filters' who brought us Wide Angle Adapter before.

I am start to like this company try making things others do not.

020.JPG

I used to carry 5 filters around (ND 4 ~ 64) so it is a great news if I can replace everything with only one filter. (including filter case out of my pocket.)

005.JPG
009.JPG
014.JPG
But I wanted to make sure it performs well enough to replace my whole filter, so when out for some test.
(A kind of test involves Color checker and Vectorscope)
(Needed to done some study to remind my knowledge on filter testing but there might be somethings I missed.)

Overall, I am satisfied with my own testing and now all my ND filters are replaced with this one.
Added to that, it is capable of ND-2 which is really convenient in indoor light situation like a subway or department store, I don't need to remove the filter and have exposure balanced at ISO 200~800 at 4K24P 1/50 shutter speed setting.

If you want some convenient video set up for your pocket for trevel or carrying less for daily shooting, this filter is something to consider.

019.JPG
012.JPG
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there Captain! Thanks for sharing this ND Filter for the Osmo Pocket as well as the information you provided. Thank you for your continued support and have a good one!
2019-5-27
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-27 08:46
Hi, there Captain! Thanks for sharing this ND Filter for the Osmo Pocket as well as the information you provided. Thank you for your continued support and have a good one!

Thanks as always Gamora.
2019-5-27
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought a bunch of these to sell in my store and I will NOT be buying anymore. The quality of the VND is horrible and it is virtually impossible to get a shot without polarization cross-hatching. I HIGHLY recommend not buying these as they are a waste of money if you want to maintain any image quality.
2019-5-27
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

KerryG Posted at 5-27 14:00
I bought a bunch of these to sell in my store and I will NOT be buying anymore. The quality of the VND is horrible and it is virtually impossible to get a shot without polarization cross-hatching. I HIGHLY recommend not buying these as they are a waste of money if you want to maintain any image quality.

Hi KerryG,

I did see your comment on the other earlier post and the very bad polarization picture taken with it.
So I was wondering when I got this filter and try to test if I got the same problem.

In some reason I don't have any polarization issue at all.
In fact, when I compared it with Freewell filter, I could clearly see that Freewell had much more of polarization going on in its image even when I set the polarization at its lowest and Kase VND was clear from the polarization.

You can see from my video that in comparison this VND is without polarization and tend to have more light scattered than polarized Freewell ND.
Check the end of the video where I rotate the shot, I used this VND to shoot it and it is not suffer from over polarization like your image.Or you can check the scene I compare shot the water with other filters. It was a scene set to 90 degree away from the sun and nice setup to see polarization at work but you can see that this Kase VND is not see through in the water any better than other filter or has scattered light cut down.

Even in vectorscope, it is showing more of Magenta shade than of blue shade that polarized image usually has.

So I guess it might be the product batch you got was different product or in QC problem or they improved it afterward.

By the way thanks for that earlier picture and I was curious about it.

2019-5-27
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

KerryG Posted at 5-27 14:00

Hi KerryG,

Sorry I didn’t know you are from Freewell filters.
(I assume this from the comment you leave on my video with same name but pardon me if you are not)

Now looking back to my video and my previous reply, it might look and sound like I am bashing your product but that was not my intention. (I literally bashed your filters with a case but... you know what I mean)

I love using your filters including clear night sky and ND1000. (I bought two ND1000 because I lost one)
It was reliable for my long and rough uses.

I just want to say that in my previous reply I said I see more polarization from Freewell filter but it doesn’t mean it has a problem. (I shot many nice videos with Freewell filter)
It’s just I notice that very slightly less scattered lights from Freewell filter images I took.

I like your product so far and looking forward more future product from you.
2019-5-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

So it looks like I shouldn't buy one from Multicopter Warehouse - but where else is it available?  Google doesn't seem to come up with much.

Edit - nevermind, found it on eBay, ordered.  Looking forward to seeing whether it's good or bad - opinions seem to be polar(ized) opposites!

2019-5-27
Use props
Freewell
lvl.4

Russia

Tide Posted at 5-27 22:18
Hi KerryG,

Sorry I didn’t know you are from Freewell filters.

Hey,

Kerry doesn't work Freewell, Also my name is Harry not Kerry .

We are always happy to learn with your comparison on how we can improve however as mentioned ND/PL & VND doesn't work the same way.

Thanks
Harry from Freewell
2019-5-27
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Freewell Posted at 5-27 23:03
Hey,

Kerry doesn't work Freewell, Also my name is Harry not Kerry  .

Ah I was confused.
It was such a timing that I saw both comment at the same time. (Put face palm here)

Sorry KerryG about my mistake.
Thanks Harry for leaving comment here before I make more fool out of myself.
2019-5-28
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

And to Harry - I myself have a set of 'proper' filters - confession, can't remember whose they are! - but I'm a bit of a collector of accessories for the Pocket, as are others I suspect, so I'm going to have both types in my camera kit, and use whatever seems best for the task in hand.
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-5-28
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

A J Posted at 5-28 02:18
Thanks for sharing

Glad you like it A J
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-28 06:31
Glad you like it A J

I know little about the Osmo range so good to read this level of info.
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tide Posted at 5-27 13:10
Thanks as always Gamora.

You are most welcome Tide! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any concerns. Have a good day ahead!
2019-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Tide, thanks for doing the test, ND filters for a long time have been tested to death and the one thing we know from tests is expensive is not always best, ND variables have a place in photography particularly when tests show good results, many would have and still do rubbish ND variables not sure why if someone gets good results for themselves then so be it.
ND filters are the proverbial sun glasses for your camera and that’s how and what purpose they should preform, I read many say they improve greens and blues etc, but this is always something I can do without filters and I’m not so sure that they improve colour in any situation that can’t be improved better in post.
I think that a lot of people believe that they have better filters because they paid more for them, it may well be true in some cases but undoubtedly not all. Good for you , you got something that works for you and you are happy with it .
2019-5-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks nice.
2019-5-28
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

hallmark007 Posted at 5-28 10:25
Hi Tide, thanks for doing the test, ND filters for a long time have been tested to death and the one thing we know from tests is expensive is not always best, ND variables have a place in photography particularly when tests show good results, many would have and still do rubbish ND variables not sure why if someone gets good results for themselves then so be it.
ND filters are the proverbial sun glasses for your camera and that’s how and what purpose they should preform, I read many say they improve greens and blues etc, but this is always something I can do without filters and I’m not so sure that they improve colour in any situation that can’t be improved better in post.
I think that a lot of people believe that they have better filters because they paid more for them, it may well be true in some cases but undoubtedly not all. Good for you , you got something that works for you and you are happy with it .

Thanks Hallmark,
Yeah glad it just fit in my particular need.
Some wants more from the filter but cutting down the light without noticeable artifact is already enough achievement.
2019-5-29
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Good review. The biggest issue I've had with VND's is the "X" you see when using cross polarization. If that's not an issue here, this looks to be a solid product.

Also, how did you know which ND level you were at with the Kase VND filter?

Thanks for sharing.
2019-5-30
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Montfrooij Posted at 5-28 21:58
Looks nice.

p
2019-5-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2019-5-30
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Pics2Flicks Posted at 5-30 05:23
Good review. The biggest issue I've had with VND's is the "X" you see when using cross polarization. If that's not an issue here, this looks to be a solid product.

Also, how did you know which ND level you were at with the Kase VND filter?

X bending do appear if you turn it close to max. It is just that it is not appear upto ND64 level, so it is usable instead of other ND filters upto ND64.

You cannot tell the ND level of this VND since there is no indication. So I was comparing with other ND filter I had to set it at the same ND level to test. However you mostly not need the ND level indication in actual use, since what you need is to see exposure level droping as an indication.
2019-5-30
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I might add more explaination about my confusing discussion between KerryG and Freewell Herry.
Kerry was pointing out about 'polarization cross-hatching' (which I refer X-bending in my own word)
I thought Kerry was talking about just normal polarization issue (which makes more of saturated look on your image) not X-bending.

So when I mentioned that I see more polarization effect from Freewell filter in comparison (as it should be as my Freewell filter is ND-PL), I didn't mean I see X-bending from Freewell filter.

Then Freewell Harry came to point out that it is not possilbe to see X-bending from their ND-PL filter. (Which is correct)

Now there it is. I can stretch my legs now.
2019-5-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-31 00:25
I might add more explaination about my confusing discussion between KerryG and Freewell Herry.
Kerry was pointing out about 'poralization cross-hatching' (which I refer X-bending in my own word)
I thought Kerry was talking about just normal poralization issue (which makes more of saturated look on your image) not X-bending.

If variable ND and CP are not the same, how do they differ?
Does a variable ND have the same effect when looking at water of reflections?
Also as a user of filters, is it best to put them on after switching the Osmo Pocket on and before switching off?
Thank you for any light you can shed on these questions.
2019-5-31
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-31 02:28
If variable ND and CP are not the same, how do they differ?
Does a variable ND have the same effect when looking at water of reflections?
Also as a user of filters, is it best to put them on after switching the Osmo Pocket on and before switching off?
I am no expert but as far as I know, CP has a Linear Polarizer in front to polarize the light and Quarter Wave Plate at rear to revert the passed light to de-polarized image. Versus, VND has two Quarter Wave Plate in front and back and two Linear Polarizer in between. So if it works right, Linear Polarizers see none polarized light and final image should have no polarization effect. But it is all depend on how well it is built.

Just seeing at my test footage with water in the scene, it is not look through the reflection any more than without filter.
2019-5-31
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-31 05:47
I am no expert but as far as I know, CP has a Linear Polarizer in front to polarize the light and Quarter Wave Plate at rear to revert the passed light to de-polarized image. Versus, VND has two Quarter Wave Plate in front and back and two Linear Polarizer in between. So if it works right, Linear Polarizers see none polarized light and final image should have no polarization effect. But it is all depend on how well it is built.

Just seeing at my test footage with water in the scene, it is not look through the reflection any more than without filter.

Thank you for a concise reply.
And putting on filters before or after switching on the Osmo Pocket?
2019-5-31
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-31 09:02
Thank you for a concise reply.
And putting on filters before or after switching on the Osmo Pocket?

I don't know if it would make any difference but I have no problem booting it after.
2019-5-31
Use props
djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ
lvl.2

South Korea

Tide Posted at 5-31 09:45
I don't know if it would make any difference but I have no problem booting it after.

Different question but can I do calibration with filter on?
2019-6-2
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ Posted at 6-2 03:39
Different question but can I do calibration with filter on?

I see no problem doing it so far.
2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine arrived today - and if the dark grey skies lighten a bit and the rain stops, I'll be able to try it out!
2019-6-3
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-3 04:12
Mine arrived today - and if the dark grey skies lighten a bit and the rain stops, I'll be able to try it out!

Looking forward to see your video footage.
Interested to learn more on the subject.
Don't forget not to dial it up to much to prevent X-bending.

2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I've finally unpacked the filter from the large parcel it arrived in - of course the actual filter is fingernail size! - and here are my initial thoughts.  Note that I've never tried a filter on the Pocket before, even though I have a set of four never taken out of the box.

It seems to me that changing filters is something to be avoided when out and about on one's own.  Ideally you need some kind of clean, flat non-scratchy surface to undertake this task - somewhere you can have the box open and ready, the Pocket standing stable, and two free hands to hold the gimbal steady in one and the filter in the other.  So, having one filter to take the place of several is a good idea.  But, I noticed that the gimbal doesn't particularly like the forces involved in adjusting the filter by turning the ring.  Maybe it's not actually risking damage, but I'd certainly try to be very careful when doing that.  The ring isn't hard to turn but it doesn't spin freely - which is at it should be, because you wouldn't want it to turn on its own.

The instructions say to turn the Osmo on first, then mount the filter.  This of course means that you'd have to take it off between each shot unless you keep the Pocket on all the time.  SImply not practical.  However the Osmo doesn't complain when turning it on with the filter attached.

I was only able to try the filter briefly - I will hope to put the footage on YouTube in a few hours.  My first concern was to try to work out the best way to use it.  My procedure was as follows -

1.  In manual mode, set shutter speed to 180 degrees, which in my case was 100th for 50fps.
2.  With the Pocket pointing at the brightest part of the scene, set ISO to 100, turn the filter until the EV display shows zero.
3.  With the Pocket pointing at the darkest part of the scene, set ISO to whatever is required to make the EV display zero.
4.  If the ISO set at (3) is above say 800, consider adjusting the filter so that a little more light is admitted, then check (2) again to see whether that part would be too overexposed.
5.  End up with a compromise between ISO not getting too high in the dark parts of the shot, while the highlight parts of the shot are not blown out.
6.  Set ISO to auto, so it can accommodate the change of illumination as you pan from light to dark and back, but from your test you know it will be kept between reasonable limits.
7.  Record the shot.

Sounds like a load of hassle but if you are taking things seriously, that's what you need to do - not necessarily for every shot, so long as the general illumination and general characteristics of the scenes are broadly the same.

If anyone thinks I'm going about it wrong, please say!

In the footage I took, in the app display on my phone I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with picture quality, but I have yet to see it on the PC screen.  My short sample will not be any kind of comparative test - that's already been done by 'Tide', thank you.   Mine will just show some kind of picture quality going from highlights to lowlights in the scene I used.
2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Here's the quick test of setting the filter correctly -

2019-6-4
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

So I must be blind.  I cant find this product on line. I may have found one on eBay, but the amount of time for,delivery is a long time.

Can someone give me a link to a North American vendor?

Thanks
2019-6-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mine arrived in Australia from China in about 5 days - I was amazed - I'll try to find the vendor and post it later.
2019-6-4
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

TheCameraGuy Posted at 6-4 08:01
So I must be blind.  I cant find this product on line. I may have found one on eBay, but the amount of time for,delivery is a long time.

Can someone give me a link to a North American vendor?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QTJ7PYF/ref=cm_sw_r_other_taa_q069CbENM6Z2R
Not sure if from North America but one from Amazon.
2019-6-5
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-4 00:52
Here's the quick test of setting the filter correctly -

https://youtu.be/xJMveybrPUE

Nice use case.
Would try more weather situation.
2019-6-5
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Tide Posted at 6-5 03:59
Not sure if from North America but one from Amazon.

Thx, ordered one. Mine is sold by someone else, but fulfilled by Amazon.

Love this little camera
2019-6-5
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Tide Posted at 6-5 03:59
Not sure if from North America but one from Amazon.

Thx, ordered one. Mine is sold by someone else, but fulfilled by Amazon.

Love this little camera
2019-6-5
Use props
djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ
lvl.2

United States

Is there any other VND from other brand like Polapro?
2019-6-14
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ Posted at 6-14 09:11
Is there any other VND from other brand like Polapro?

I haven't find any other brand making VND.
2019-6-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules