What Size memory card do you use for your Osmo Pocket ?
9480 16 2019-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TechbytesRN
lvl.1
United States

I have had situations in the past where a card either failed or experienced corruption and I lost one or more files.
Would rather have several cards and hopefully avoid this as being an issue.

Would like to see what size you use for your Osmo Pocket and if you have more than one size ?

Thanks,
Ron
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about the problem that you had with the SD card. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would share the SD card that they've been using. For additional information, the Supported SD Cards is MicroSDMax.Capacity: 256 GB. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-27
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Having multiple cards does not help with a card failure if there is no immediate backup when recording.
Card size now, I feel is down more to individual needs and requirements and the main problem with something like the Osmo Pocket is that it only has one card slot with no ability to record to more than one card at a time. So the first priority is to back up the card as soon as possible. With no card backup at the time of recording, there is no way to circumnavigate card failure beyond don't keep using the same card over and over, year on year. Like servicing your car, the best way to prevent such things is to have planned maintenance with a regular card replacement scheme. Even then, you are only cutting down the chances of corruption or missing data. If you have a powerful enough phone or some form of tablet with you, at least backup can be done quite soon after the recording is complete if needed.
2019-5-27
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

I use 2x 128GB SD Card.
I have a WD passport wireless, so after one SD Card is full, I can just put my SD Card into my WD wireless, and let the files moved on.
From 128GB, roughly need 2 hours to move all files inside to my WD Wireless, and that means I can continue filming while moving the files in the same time
2019-5-28
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You are wise to want smaller cards. They do limit your risk. I've been using 64GB cards. Similar to the previous post, I have a back up for on site. It's a device called a RAVPOWER, you can get them on amazon. It acts like a little hub. You can insert an SD card and a separate drive - I use an SSD based external and you can also transfer via wifi to your phone or iPad or Surface.

I will admit I bought a 256GB card too, which I plan to use for time lapse, etc.
2019-5-28
Use props
TechbytesRN
lvl.1
United States

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-28 04:43
You are wise to want smaller cards. They do limit your risk. I've been using 64GB cards. Similar to the previous post, I have a back up for on site. It's a device called a RAVPOWER, you can get them on amazon. It acts like a little hub. You can insert an SD card and a separate drive - I use an SSD based external and you can also transfer via wifi to your phone or iPad or Surface.

I will admit I bought a 256GB card too, which I plan to use for time lapse, etc.

Thanks.  I know that if one card gets corrupted, that I might loose everything on the card but that would help limit loosing everything I have shot.

Ron
2019-5-28
Use props
TechbytesRN
lvl.1
United States

You are wise to want smaller cards. They do limit your risk. I've been using 64GB cards. Similar to the previous post, I have a back up for on site. It's a device called a RAVPOWER, you can get them on amazon. It acts like a little hub. You can insert an SD card and a separate drive - I use an SSD based external and you can also transfer via wifi to your phone or iPad or Surface.

Also meant to say thanks about the mention of RavPower.  I am planning a trip later this year where I probably wont have the laptop which has limited space anyway.  RavPower plus a SSD gives me backup and extra power if I needed it.

Ron
2019-5-28
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Most welcome
2019-5-28
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

How long does it take to transfer about 128 GB of micro SD card to hard drive?
2019-5-29
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Udo13 Posted at 5-29 02:19
How long does it take to transfer about 128 GB of micro SD card to hard drive?

Too many variables to address to answer this question. The card is connected to the computer in a built in slot. Then the USB 3 external, The speed of the card, The particular bus you are on. Lots of variables.
2019-5-29
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-29 06:02
Too many variables to address to answer this question. The card is connected to the computer in a built in slot. Then the USB 3 external, The speed of the card, The particular bus you are on. Lots of variables.

From 1 Hour to 3 hours?
2019-5-29
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 5-29 12:41
From 1 Hour to 3 hours?

Hi Udo.

There aren't that many variables. The average read speed for a V30 card, which is what I'd recommend, is going to be about 90MB/s. Regardless of using a computer with a built in card reader, of which most modern ones will be using either USB3 or an equivalent speed, or if it's an external reader connected to USB3. The bottleneck will be the speed of the card.

As for card sizes, I'm with Ray on that. Regardless of any type of corruption, if you're not doing ongoing backups while shooting or immediate backups when you get home. You will always be exposed when not using redundancy. That said, I can't remember the last time I lost a file.

I personally use 128GB Sandisk V30 cards in all my cameras. They're well fast enough for recording 100Mb/s + sustained, will read back at about 90MB/s. With those read speeds you can, at a push, also directly edit straight from the cards if you run out of space on your computer's media drives.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-29
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-27 16:36
Having multiple cards does not help with a card failure if there is no immediate backup when recording.
Card size now, I feel is down more to individual needs and requirements and the main problem with something like the Osmo Pocket is that it only has one card slot with no ability to record to more than one card at a time. So the first priority is to back up the card as soon as possible. With no card backup at the time of recording, there is no way to circumnavigate card failure beyond don't keep using the same card over and over, year on year. Like servicing your car, the best way to prevent such things is to have planned maintenance with a regular card replacement scheme. Even then, you are only cutting down the chances of corruption or missing data. If you have a powerful enough phone or some form of tablet with you, at least backup can be done quite soon after the recording is complete if needed.

Hi Ray.

Totally agree.

If I'm out with my backpack I'll have my Chromebook with me. This not only allows me to view files on a decent sized 1080 screen but I can also transfer my good takes/files to a connected external SSD and build up my physical media bins and make notes/EDLs ready for when I get to one of my editing workstations. I either edit straight from the external or transfer to an internal SSD media drive.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-29
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

I use a Samsung EVO 128GB card. Never had any issues with it. But I do have a few 32 and 64 GB Sandisk Extreme as spare cards just in case.
2019-5-30
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Germany

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-29 06:02

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer.
So far I have always used my tablet Lenovo Miix 2-10 for external HD backup while traveling.
But if I have 1kg less while traveling that's an advantage.
I only use EVO 128GB Samsung Micro SD cards.
At home, I do not need the device, as I copy the SD cards via a 3.0 USB reader directly to the hard drive.

How long does it take to copy 128 GB to a 2.5 inch hard drive via the RAV?
Is this RAV model ok?
RP-WD03

2019-5-30
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Udo13 Posted at 5-30 07:52
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer.

This is the unit I bought. The other one seems the same, I don't speak German, so...
2019-5-30
Use props
tripleburst
lvl.4
United States

I have multiple 64gb cards.  If I'm shooting at different locations I use one for each place. Just for organization sake. I have one 128gb if I'm lazy to switch out the cards or I'm just shooting one location and use a lot of 120/240 fps shots.

2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules