Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good afternoon,
Any of the UK fliers flown in Class D Airspace before?
There’s a photo I have in mind but the location is just within Class D airspace. Should I forget about the photo and not make the attempt? The airport is miles away and I’m not within their controlled airspace. The NATS app shows “ we recommend that you do not fly your drone here”.
Thanks,
Chris

NATS map

NATS map
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had occasional Class D pop up's in the app advising simply 'to fly with caution' in a yellow box in the app with no other pop's like permission needed as we get with more restricted areas. The areas where it happens to me are also safe to fly in NATS.

I believe the official stance is that Class D will have a smaller airport not requiring radar but will have a tower in relatively close vicinity (miles) so ensure to follow the drone code if you fly there but you are not restricted to take off - especially when the tower is not in operation. If however the class D shows a red NFZ in DJI's geo then yep, that is highly restricted according to DJI so steer well clear or it may force land when it enters the zone and you can not regain control. If NATS shows it as RED and DJI doesn't then the drone will still fly as normal but there is a risk so make sure you can see the drone at all times and I'd keep it lower than normal to be extra safe (max 200' AGL as smaller aircraft may be flying nearby).
2019-5-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-28 04:43
I've had occasional Class D pop up's in the app advising simply 'to fly with caution' in a yellow box in the app with no other pop's like permission needed as we get with more restricted areas. The areas where it happens to me are also safe to fly in NATS.

I believe the official stance is that Class D will have a smaller airport not requiring radar but will have a tower in relatively close vicinity (miles) so ensure to follow the drone code if you fly there but you are not restricted to take off - especially when the tower is not in operation. If however the class D shows a red NFZ in DJI's geo then yep, that is highly restricted according to DJI so steer well clear or it may force land when it enters the zone and you can not regain control. If NATS shows it as RED and DJI doesn't then the drone will still fly as normal but there is a risk so make sure you can see the drone at all times and I'd keep it lower than normal to be extra safe (max 200' AGL as smaller aircraft may be flying nearby).

Thank you, I think it's possibly because the hospital has an air ambulance, though that is a couple of miles away...I'll have a rethink as the last thing I want to do is interfere with "proper" aircraft traffic.
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-28 04:54
Thank you, I think it's possibly because the hospital has an air ambulance, though that is a couple of miles away...I'll have a rethink as the last thing I want to do is interfere with "proper" aircraft traffic.

I personally wouldn't take off in a NATS red zone even if DJI have not restricted it in their GEO. Air ambulance also have permission to fly lower than 500' AGL unlike most manned aircraft so that is probably why the area is a light red in NATS - 'recommended not to fly'. So I think you can fly there but the risk is significantly increased so plan the flight in accordance to minimise that risk if you're going for the shot. Even then I wouldn't pitch a ground station for the morning - make the flight low, close and quick and pack up when you've finished the shoot.
2019-5-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've always taken this as a caution, if you abide by the drone codes latest regulations then there shouldn't be any problem. Your aircraft will always be in VLOS so will never be too far away.

This perhaps gives a clearer message of where not to fly regarding airports (See attached 'FRZ map' from this site below):-

https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/

This is a good place to look for UK airspace classifications if interested:-

https://notaminfo.com/ukmap
Norwich class D - Copy.png
Norwich FRZ map - Copy.png
2019-5-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-28 05:04
I personally wouldn't take off in a NATS red zone even if DJI have not restricted it in their GEO. Air ambulance also have permission to fly lower than 500' AGL unlike most manned aircraft so that is probably why the area is a light red in NATS - 'recommended not to fly'. So I think you can fly there but the risk is significantly increased so plan the flight in accordance to minimise that risk if you're going for the shot. Even then I wouldn't pitch a ground station for the morning - make the flight low, close and quick and pack up when you've finished the shoot.

Thanks, agreed re the risk...the AA shouldn't be that low over this position, though yeah to low close and quick!
2019-5-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 5-28 05:33
I've always taken this as a caution, if you abide by the drone codes latest regulations then there shouldn't be any problem. Your aircraft will always be in VLOS so will never be too far away.

This perhaps gives a clearer message of where not to fly regarding airports (See attached 'FRZ map' from this site below):-

Thank you, both of these sites are really useful, I downloaded and registered on the AirMap, though it crashed when I tried to "draw" my flight within the app...hope that's the only "crash".
2019-5-28
Use props
Harbourside
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Flying in Class D is fine as long as you follow the guidelines.
The NATS app gets over excited about class D airspace, its perfectly legal to fly there
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-28 07:14
Thanks, agreed re the risk...the AA shouldn't be that low over this position, though yeah to low close and quick!

It shouldn't but it might - so just be more cautious than you would ordinary in a zone free area - if there are any these days lol
2019-5-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Harbourside Posted at 5-28 07:17
Flying in Class D is fine as long as you follow the guidelines.
The NATS app gets over excited about class D airspace, its perfectly legal to fly there

Thank you, lol to "over excited," that's me trying to angle the shot I want
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there Chris. Thanks for the inquiry. I would recommend coordinating this concern into our local authority for further details about flying the drone on the specific location. For a friendly reminder, we recommend flying the drone in an open area wherein there are no interferences to avoid the incident. I will also post a link wherein you can check if that location is in the no-fly zone area. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation here in our DJI forum. Happy flying always. Cheers!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-5-28
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-28 15:00
Hi, there Chris. Thanks for the inquiry. I would recommend coordinating this concern into our local authority for further details about flying the drone on the specific location. For a friendly reminder, we recommend flying the drone in an open area wherein there are no interferences to avoid the incident. I will also post a link wherein you can check if that location is in the no-fly zone area. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation here in our DJI forum. Happy flying always. Cheers!

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Thank you DJI Gamora for the link, the flight was successful and bar loss of signal at about 280 metres distant.
Chris
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

ChrisJG Posted at 5-28 15:29
Thank you DJI Gamora for the link, the flight was successful and bar loss of signal at about 280 metres distant.
Chris

You are always welcome Chris! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any concerns. Happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules