7167 10 2019-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mwest34
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3747 ft
United States

Hello Everyone,

New here so I aplogize if this is in the wrong spot. I'd like to get some feedback on the best settings to create a Night Time Lapse with the Osmo Action. I'm also intrested in captureing fireworks, would the Night Time Lapse settings work for this as well or would there be diffrent settings needed?

Thanks in advance,
Mwest34
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here in the forum that have an experience shooting some NightLapse. Thank you and have a great day. Cheers!
2019-5-29
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm also interested in this feature as well.  Hopefully someone maybe able to post something here.
2019-6-1
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

I don't have an action. But, I did see a video taken using HDR at night. It helped bring out the shadows.

However, due to the nature of HDR, it doesn't do well with motion. That shouldn't be a problem with nightlapses.
2019-6-2
Use props
CRAIGMART75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1543901 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would love to see a video about that !!!!!
2019-6-2
Use props
vogglz
lvl.1
Netherlands

I did some quick experiments last week on a semi-clear sky in NL. It's certainly possible, but I did not get around to finetuning it. Starting point would be to (obviously) mount on firm tripod, set timelapse to manual, don't go too high on the ISO (what I quickly noticed don't go higher than 400/800) to prevent noise, set shutter time to 10" (I think I even went to 25") and correct WB if required. Due to the long shutter time required to get enough light in without using high ISO, you will be limited on the timelapse interval.
2019-6-5
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

What do you plan on capturing, rivers of light in a city scape or the night sky ?
Either way you of course need to not let the ISO run amok as that will be noisy, but after that all you have to experiment with are exposure times, depending on how you want your result to look you can have more or less exposure time.
Night sky of course you can not have too long exposure times cuz then the stars turn into little lines instead of dots in the sky.

The little sensors of action cameras are of course not ideal, but you can still get some cool stuff captured, and thank god you don't have to develop the footage like in the old days, i have spent enough time in a dark chamber already before i left school.

I like shooting at night, but time lepse are something i have yet to play with.

Nikon DSLR footage.

NO photoshopping of course.

2019-6-5
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

peiter Posted at 6-5 03:09
What do you plan on capturing, rivers of light in a city scape or the night sky ?
Either way you of course need to not let the ISO run amok as that will be noisy, but after that all you have to experiment with are exposure times, depending on how you want your result to look you can have more or less exposure time.
Night sky of course you can not have too long exposure times cuz then the stars turn into little lines instead of dots in the sky.

We can't have the same footage that with your DSLR   Nice pics !

I would like to try some picture of the sky but I don't know if we need to use a ND filter or not ? What is better with or without ?
2019-6-7
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I am waiting on a clear sky night, but it seem like summer are forsaking Denmark this year, i think i will try my luck with no filter for my night recordings, in the day a ND filter i think are a must have,,,, ND 32 or 63 i think.
My largest ND filter are just 16 thats a lit too small for daytime out in direct sun, will snag up a few more over the summer i recon.
2019-6-8
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Night timelapse for fireworks wouldn't really work too well.  Night timelaspes do work very well though with the Osmo Action.  The best way however is using the Interval Mode under Photo's and not the video timelaspe more.  The photo mode gives you much more control re interval AND shot exposure times.  To get the absolute best you need to construct the timelapse yourself in a decent editing tool using all the imdividual images produced by the Photo Interval mode.
2019-6-9
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

peiter Posted at 6-8 03:58
I am waiting on a clear sky night, but it seem like summer are forsaking Denmark this year, i think i will try my luck with no filter for my night recordings, in the day a ND filter i think are a must have,,,, ND 32 or 63 i think.
My largest ND filter are just 16 thats a lit too small for daytime out in direct sun, will snag up a few more over the summer i recon.

You don't need ND's at all for night time sky shots - in some instances, like well lit city evening shots an ND might help with light trails, but the whole point of NDs is to reduce the amount of light to the sensor.  This is the last thing you need at night.
2019-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules