601 5 2019-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi,
we are going on round trip from Calgary to Vancouver and I would like to fly my Mavic Air wherever is legal.
I know I am not allowed to fly in the National Parks, I red the same thing about Provincial Parks.
Did any of you fly in the area? What is your advise?
Thank you!
2019-5-29
Use props
Mhinc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

So,

From what I have researched.  As it stands, yes, there are no drones allowed period in National Parks.  There is however a loop hole for Provincial Parks.

There are two considerations when answering this inquiry:
1) Operating (ie. landing/takeoff) a UAV with a provincial park; and
2) Operating (ie. landing/takeoff) a UAV outside a provincial park and flying a UAV over a provincial park.

A UAV (drone) is considered to be an “aircraft” under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

In most cases, individuals are not permitted to operate (i.e. land) an “aircraft” in a provincial park under the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserves Act (PPCRA) with the exception of where an Aircraft Landing Authorization has been issued by the Park Superintendent in a provincial park listed under Section 33 of the PPCRA, Ontario Regulation 347/07.

A UAV can be flown over a provincial park, but not landed in a provincial park, provided that the operator complies with the PPCRA and associated regulations, Transport Canada Acts and regulations, and privacy laws. Some of these regulations may include but are not limited to:

Disturb other persons, make excessive noise, chase or harass wildlife, damage crown property or vegetation under the PPCRA;

Fail to comply with size restrictions or special operators certificates under Transport Canada Acts;

Capturing or posting unauthorized images under privacy laws.

As highlighted in the above passage, section 33 of Provincial Parks: General Provisions of the Provincial Parks and Conservation Reserve Act, 2006 states that “[n]o person shall land an aircraft in a provincial park”. [1] Ontario Parks is currently relying on the definition of “aircraft” provided in the Canadian Aviation Regulations – which encompasses unmanned aerial vehicles such as drones – to interpret this word as it appears in this section of General Provisions. [2]

So basically the loop hole is.  You can fly over the Provincial park.   But you can't take off or land within the provincial park.

You could also call ahead to the Park Superintendent.  I am hoping by now you have written and passed at least your Basic Drone Pilot Cert and registered your Mavic Air with Transport Canada.  If so.  I would call ahead, let the Park Superintendent know when you will be at the park, let them know you are certified and registered with Transport Canada, and would like to request permission to fly within the park.  
It can't hurt to try.  

I hope that helps a bit.

Happy Road Trip!
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. I would recommend coordinating this concern to the local authority in Canada for you to know the rules and regulations of flying a drone on that specific location. Also, I will be posting a link wherein you can check if that location if it is in the no-fly zone area. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co-pilots who already flown their Aircraft in Canada. Thank you for your continued support and Happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-5-30
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

today is June 1st...the first day that Canadian official drone laws take affect (prior to 'Interim Regulation').  I assume you are a Canadian, if not, our new law currently prohibits anyone but Canadian citizens from flying drones here. FYI.
2019-6-1
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

I should mention that Parks Canada will not authorize drone operations inside any Provincial or Federal Park unless the purpose is for Research and/or Educational purposes.  
2019-6-1
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Thanks everyone! As mentioned in the first post I am not intending to fly inside National and\or Provincial Parks. I need to find out the perimeter of these parks in the area.
2019-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules