No storage battery mode for Spark and Mavic 2?
2252 12 2019-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

No storage battery mode for Spark and Mavic 2?

I want to leave the Mavic 2 Zoom and Spark in Storage mode and just have them on full mode like the Phantom battery charger when I'm ready to fly the next day or something.
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. There are 3 types on how to properly store the Intelligent Flight battery of your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and DJI Spark. Here are some:

1. Discharge the battery to 40%-60% if it will not be used for 10 days or more, as it can greatly extend the battery life. The battery will automatically discharge to below 60% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent it from swelling. It takes approximately four days to discharge the battery to 60%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emitting from the battery during the discharging process.

2. DO NOT store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging it. Doing so may over-discharge the battery and cause irreparable battery cell damage.

3. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period of time. Recharge the battery to bring out of hibernation.

4. Remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period.

Hope this will clarify your query to us. Thank you for your continued support. Happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-30 11:30
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out. There are 3 types on how to properly store the Intelligent Flight battery of your DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and DJI Spark. Here are some:

1. Discharge the battery to 40%-60% if it will not be used for 10 days or more, as it can greatly extend the battery life. The battery will automatically discharge to below 60% when it is idle for more than 10 days to prevent it from swelling. It takes approximately four days to discharge the battery to 60%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat emitting from the battery during the discharging process.

So there is no need to go into storage mode as it does it itself?  Also After 10 days it discharges or gradually hits 60% after 10 days?  Also storing them in a powered charger for days is a bad idea then?
2019-5-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-30 12:53
So there is no need to go into storage mode as it does it itself?  Also After 10 days it discharges or gradually hits 60% after 10 days?  Also storing them in a powered charger for days is a bad idea then?

Perhaps you should read through the manuals to understand your aircraft, from the Spark manual:-
Spark auto discharge - Copy.png
2019-5-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always best to recharge the battery to 50% after flight then storing it - that way you don't need to worry about auto discharging.
2019-5-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 5-31 11:49
Always best to recharge the battery to 50% after flight then storing it - that way you don't need to worry about auto discharging.

It would be easier if we had a storage mode charger like the P4s.
2019-5-31
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 5-31 20:48
It would be easier if we had a storage mode charger like the P4s.

That's true - I miss that feature on the P4 hub
2019-6-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-1 00:02
That's true - I miss that feature on the P4 hub

I saw it on the P4 hub and I thought the batteries are a lot worse in design.  When I fly, if I'm not commercially trying to fulfill client expectations, it takes so long to run through 1 full batt unless it's on the Spark of course.  I run through 3 batteries like it's nothing.  Probably because the smallness makes it interesting to fly but I'm not sure.
2019-6-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-1 00:25
I saw it on the P4 hub and I thought the batteries are a lot worse in design.  When I fly, if I'm not commercially trying to fulfill client expectations, it takes so long to run through 1 full batt unless it's on the Spark of course.  I run through 3 batteries like it's nothing.  Probably because the smallness makes it interesting to fly but I'm not sure.

Average flight times from 100% to 15% are in my experience
c.12 minutes on a Spark
c.25 minutes with a P4P/M2P
2019-6-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-1 00:46
Average flight times from 100% to 15% are in my experience
c.12 minutes on a Spark
c.25 minutes with a P4P/M2P

Yeah, I'm pretty much done flying 1 area after 20% battery use. 80% remaining though.  I always look at the compass while waiting for Ready to Go.
2019-6-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-1 01:30
Yeah, I'm pretty much done flying 1 area after 20% battery use. 80% remaining though.  I always look at the compass while waiting for Ready to Go.

Really? I can fly three M2 batteries for well over an hour of flying at one location and return to the same spot the next day. Look at all of the different angles, resolutions, lighting conditions, frame rates, intelligent flight modes etc etc - though it will also depend heavily on how interesting the area is too - a big open field is quite boring but a woodland with revealing landscapes, towns and city skylines in the distance can make the opportunities for interesting captures more expansive. That said, you should broaden your flight locations too. I have four near to where I live where I fly the most but often take my drone/s on occasional day trips around the country.   
2019-6-1
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 6-1 01:58
Really? I can fly three M2 batteries for well over an hour of flying at one location and return to the same spot the next day. Look at all of the different angles, resolutions, lighting conditions, frame rates, intelligent flight modes etc etc - though it will also depend heavily on how interesting the area is too - a big open field is quite boring but a woodland with revealing landscapes, towns and city skylines in the distance can make the opportunities for interesting captures more expansive. That said, you should broaden your flight locations too. I have four near to where I live where I fly the most but often take my drone/s on occasional day trips around the country.

yeah, when I first got the drones I was depleting all the batteries wanting more

I was testing many settings out over and over and over to get a true understanding of them now I just fly recreationally.  The biggest issue is having too much to post-process.  I just fly one area and make a vid but having multiple locations into 1 vid I did too but it's not as interesting to me.  I feel the scatter is too high like that.  When I film now, I just want to capture one moment and move on.  Also, the main issue is people have told me to keep things short because if they are too long people will become uninterested.  As drone pilots we want to make it really long but the real idea is to make scenes 6 seconds to 60 seconds and no more unless we are shooting some sort of documentary then the ideal would be around 12 minutes.

What I do now is.. when I fly I really choose to fly to a location I cannot get to on the ground w/o a lot of effort walking/running there.  I have the drone with me like a tag team and send it off under my control.  I see things either by zooming in or just recording up top then come back.  I wish to get lower but the problem is I'm not sure if someone would come around it from the back and hit it as there is no rear-view/side cam.

Maybe I should attach the Gopro to my head again for some good b-roll.  I want to get back into making small movies like I was doing when I first got the Spark.  Seeing the drone next to you in the air by your head/shoulder walking with you and sending it off in Sport mode in 3rd person then looking into 1st on the screen w/o Any issues is simply amazing.  The Spark is such a great recon drone but of course the Mavic 2 Zoom is better and the P4P V2.0 is kind of too big but having the option to go to places that you can't really get to like over a river to the people on the other side is really cool.  If I had the enterprise drone I would be using the speaker all the time!
2019-6-1
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-1 02:59
yeah, when I first got the drones I was depleting all the batteries wanting more

I was testing many settings out over and over and over to get a true understanding of them now I just fly recreationally.  The biggest issue is having too much to post-process.  I just fly one area and make a vid but having multiple locations into 1 vid I did too but it's not as interesting to me.  I feel the scatter is too high like that.  When I film now, I just want to capture one moment and move on.  Also, the main issue is people have told me to keep things short because if they are too long people will become uninterested.  As drone pilots we want to make it really long but the real idea is to make scenes 6 seconds to 60 seconds and no more unless we are shooting some sort of documentary then the ideal would be around 12 minutes.

Yes the Spark is good for that.
2019-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules