Philip Bloom's take on Osmo Action..DJI TAKE NOTE
1465 9 2019-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Philip Bloom's latest youtube video includes his very interesting opinion on the Osmo Action...please take notice DJI this guy knows his stuff..more control over sharpness &  change of codec to H265 if poss. stabilization in HDR mode ect..terrific video.

2019-5-30
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Huh... video really long but interesting!
2019-5-30
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah it's 40 odd mins long but very informative from a man who knows what he's talking about.
2019-5-30
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Can I have a Readers Digest synopsis? (g)
2019-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Phillip always does good and fair reviews , along with great information and I’m sure that dji had sen5 him OA to review, so in turn I’m certain they will listen to what he has to say , but you must realise this is first attempt at action camera for dji, I’m certain it’s the first of many and we will see some amazing improvements in future action cameras, I’m not sure you will get them with this camera and I think reviewer doesn’t expect this either, but I’m certain we will receive good and useful FW updates which will improve this already cracking little camera.
2019-5-30
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

Philip most certainly knows what he's doing and made a very well produced video. But he did have a bias toward the GoPros, which is expected as he knows them better than the Action.

Plus he also passed a few personal opinions as technical fact, which was pushing it a bit. There were certain things he said, such as the log profiles, which were purely personal taste but he did blur certain lines as technical fact.

There are certain technical limitations that both the Action and the GoPros share that make both of them struggle to do certain colour functions. Neither are 10 bit, neither record a minimum of 4:2:2 chroma sub sampling, neither record rec.2020, neither record HDR and neither record effective log gamma curves outside of standard rec.709.

The reason I mention all that is because without these things neither are going to be effective for acquiring footage suitable for proper grading. And because of that, neither are particularly technically better than the other with regard pure technical ability to hold enough information and therefore the choice is personal taste and not technical ability.

As for the codec. The lack of h.265 on the Action will make no difference what so ever either, as per the reasons above. Plus many NLEs and playback devices will struggle to playback h.265 anyway, let alone manipulate it.

Like I said, Philip is excellent at what he does but he does have very strong personal tastes and opinions which shouldn't be read as technical fact.

And let's not forget that the Action and GoPro are both very small cameras with small sensors, small lenses and while they outdo themselves as far as built in processing ability is concerned and are both great at what they do. They are only action cameras and as such will never compete with certain functionalities of proper pro video cameras. And in the global scheme of things they are both in reality cheap cameras that perform way beyond their prices.

There's only so much right now that these types of cameras are able to do.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-30
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-30 12:26
Hi.

Philip most certainly knows what he's doing and made a very well produced video. But he did have a bias toward the GoPros, which is expected as he knows them better than the Action.

I have not watched the 40 minute review but I already like your review of the review.  Very practical viewpoint.  
2019-5-30
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

OMG !!! So many cameras
2019-5-30
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

H.265 do take some to handle, on my computer it have never been a issue, not even 2 years ago when i first got to use a H.265 camera.
But once trying to do the same on my little sisters low end dualcore laptop, well that dident work at all.
Encoding the stuff i think the "OA" can do if what ( SOC )  is inside it is what i think it are, actually it surprise me it cant do that already.
BUT ! if you go to H.265 i am not sure the SOC have enough computational power to also do the other things the camera do now.

We will see i guess, on the osmo pocket it was also early days when it first got out, but its capabilities have matured as i understand it ( don't own a osmo pocket )

My computer have just been beefed up so i recon even imaginary H.276 it could handle with its 12 cores.
2019-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing.
Some people do make way too long video's.
I like them short and to the point.
2019-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules