Bad yaw motor or Roll/Yaw ESC Circuit Board?
2373 3 2019-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ECOyhSMsxSPJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44357 ft
New Zealand

Hi,

I turned on my Phantom and during the gimbal calibration it got stuck on something underneath it. I didn't notice until I picked it up and smelled burning, turned it off and let it cool down because the gimbal felt very hot.
Long story short, after noticing I have very weak and uncentered yaw power, I got the yaw motor out. I saw that the last lane on the ribbon cable of the motor was burnt
so I soldered a bridge with two hairs of wire about the same size as the damaged bridge, put everything back together, and tested it. As soon as I turned it on I smelled the same burning smell, but did a quick test anyway.
It had some faint yaw power, but when it tried to center itself, the yaw is too weak and it gets stuck to the slight right or slight left. I still have perfect roll resistance.
I also tested it with my goggles with head tracking and it doesn't control the yaw at all, only the roll. I took it apart again, the ribbon burned from the exact same spot, the solder had come off and the electrical tape I used melted.

Does this sound like the solder couldn't handle the temperature, the motor is bad and it's damaging the ribbon, or is the motherboard damaged and frying the ribbon? I don't want to order a motor and the motherboard fries it, so I want to be sure which part I need to order. The motherboard visually looks perfect.

Thanks!

2019-5-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble these has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this issue is happening on the said drone I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason of the the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that the repair will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for your support.
2019-6-1
Use props
djiuser_ECOyhSMsxSPJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44357 ft
New Zealand

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-1 08:47
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble these has caused and thank you for reaching out. Since this issue is happening on the said drone I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and find out the reason of the the said issue and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that the repair will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

Thanks for the reply.
The bird is out of warranty. I want to save money on the labor costs and fix it myself
I just don't want to order a new motor and find out that the problem is the gimbal circuit board and fry the new motor.
2019-6-1
Use props
Dog Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

Sound like there is short in the motor, that is why your ribbon cable burns open, if you kept doing these and not replacing the yaw motor you could burn up the board.
2019-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules