Compass calibration rotation direction matter?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the video he says counter-clockwise but I've been doing it clockwise all the time and these drones always ask for a compass calibration.  Is it because I'm rotating the wrong way?

2019-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a look at my answer to your other question

HERE

All the answers to most of your questions are in the Manual here

Perhaps you should have a rest from taking photos and read that through a couple of times while your unit is getting repared.
2019-6-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no wrong way.
All that matters is that you expose the compass to a full 360 degrees on each axis.
2019-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given. Let me please provide you additional requirements for proper compass calibration. In calibrating the compass of the said drone do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside large metal objects. Thank you.
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-2 07:48
Hello and good day AntDX316. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given. Let me please provide you additional requirements for proper compass calibration. In calibrating the compass of the said drone do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside large metal objects. Thank you.

I know but should all compass calibration be done CCW?
2019-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 11:10
I know but should all compass calibration be done CCW?

Post number 4 answers your question.
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-2 11:30
Post number 4 answers your question.

I know but I was looking for a DJI answer from the engineers hopefully.  Perhaps doing CCW and far away from the controller would make it not keep asking for a calibration.  Maybe the controller gives off an interference.
2019-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 11:49
I know but I was looking for a DJI answer from the engineers hopefully.  Perhaps doing CCW and far away from the controller would make it not keep asking for a calibration.  Maybe the controller gives off an interference.

Your second compass is faulty, unless you've had unit replaced, almost certainly that is why it will keep asking for calibration.

Although the unit will function with one device, under normal circumstances it would still expect to see two compass'. If I were you I would make a claim under the warranty if it is a new unit. From what I've seen it's DJI that cover the warranty themselves and not the dealer. And it should be a fairly straight forward no cost to you process if you're entitled to claim.
In fact you should be demanding a replacement from the dealer.

One way to prove, or disprove your theory would be to try it, it takes two minutes to calibrate the compass.
2019-6-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 11:49

You won't get a reply from the DJI 'Engineers', they do not appear on this forum. And your aircraft has a missing compass, get that repaired before you do anything else.
2019-6-2
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

When you calibrate, don't have anything metal in your pockets, like your cell phone or your glock.
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-2 13:09
Your second compass is faulty, unless you've had unit replaced, almost certainly that is why it will keep asking for calibration.

Although the unit will function with one device, under normal circumstances it would still expect to see two compass'. If I were you I would make a claim under the warranty if it is a new unit. From what I've seen it's DJI that cover the warranty themselves and not the dealer. And it should be a fairly straight forward no cost to you process if you're entitled to claim.

My compasses are not faulty.  It doesn't ask me all the time but in New Jersey, it's pretty dense w/ a lot of underground power lines.  Probably, they also metal the ground and put dirt in it so the fields stay level.  They also probably use metal in the parking lots to keep that level too.  Also to keep the buildings level over time.
2019-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 15:02
My compasses are not faulty.  It doesn't ask me all the time but in New Jersey, it's pretty dense w/ a lot of underground power lines.  Probably, they also metal the ground and put dirt in it so the fields stay level.  They also probably use metal in the parking lots to keep that level too.  Also to keep the buildings level over time.

That's odd it looks faulty to me :-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 193&pid=1867483
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-2 15:24
That's odd it looks faulty to me :-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=190193&pid=1867483

That thread has to be deleted.  I got a new drone with everything swapped.
2019-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-2 15:30
That thread has to be deleted.  I got a new drone with everything swapped.

That was quick, I'm surprised you never mentioned it.

So what do your compass readings look like now, better I hope ?
2019-6-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-2 15:35
That was quick, I'm surprised you never mentioned it.

So what do your compass readings look like now, better I hope ?

Yeah, single and double digits.  RTH is also solid on all drones.  If it's above the RTH it just flies back at that height.  If it's lower.  It goes up to it then flies back.  This is when RTH is called but if it loses controller signal it seems, the Mavic 2 Zoom at least when I was flying around the Revel building in Atlantic City and lost signal Completely w/o warning, it flies back the original path I think.  I caught it and manual controlled it but looking at the video it seems that is was happens.  Hopefully, that happened and it just didn't fly that direction and would continue forever if I had no video feed back.
2019-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules