Please add H265
6918 24 2019-6-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gio37540
lvl.2
France

Since the Osmo Pocket chip supports H265 I really don't understand why DJI still give us only the outdated H264 Codec which produce a lot of compression and a lost of details when fast moving or fast paning ?

Please DJI fix this in the next firmware update

2019-6-3
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I guess that is a half right.
H265 can makes the file size smaller but it is not equal to contain more detail.
Current H264 at 100M bitrate contains impressive enough detail and it is roughly equal to 64M bitrate of H265.
Than you might think, 100M bitrate on H256 would be better than 100M H254 and yes it would be better but that cannot guarentee if pocket's CPU can handle the additional amount of data that 100M H256 have over the 100M H254.
I guess 100M H254 is what pocket can do at its max and if switching to H256, it would be the equal data amount of around 64M H256.
2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

If nothing else, it would allow more space on the card, I guess, for the same quality.

If these codecs have to be licenced, DJI would have to decide whether the cost could be translated to greater profit.  At the end of the day, they're not going to give something away at a cost to their bottom line.

2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

Tide Posted at 6-3 03:29
I guess that is a half right.
H265 can makes the file size smaller but it is not equal to contain more detail.
Current H264 at 100M bitrate contains impressive enough detail and it is roughly equal to 64M bitrate of H265.

Even at half birate 50Mbps it captures 20% more details with a smaller end file in H265 than H264 100Mbps , the H264 is outdated !
Maybe they can let the user choose between H264 and H265 for those who still wants to use H264 because their PC is not powerful enough to handle H265 videos , but since the beginning I saw a lots of posts demanding to implement H265 to the Osmo Pocket and it looks like DJI don't care
The Osmo Action has exactly the same problem , the gopro 7 shoots better videos in the  details and has less compression just because it uses H265 and it's only 78Mbps
So come on DJI don't let a simple codec ruin your cameras
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-3 04:13
If nothing else, it would allow more space on the card, I guess, for the same quality.

If these codecs have to be licenced, DJI would have to decide whether the cost could be translated to greater profit.  At the end of the day, they're not going to give something away at a cost to their bottom line.

So if it's the money the problem , I'm sure people would pay a few bucks to get this implemented, they could sell it as an simple accesory
2019-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

This is completely wrong.

You obviously don't understand what either compression standard is doing and the diminishing returns beyond a certain bit rate. Both are optimised for certain bit rates at specific resolutions and frame rates.

H.265 will not produce better detail than H.264, simple.

You said "DJI still give us only the outdated H264 Codec which produce a lot of compression and a lost of details when fast moving or fast paning ?"

I say. What a load of bollocks. Show us an example of this. The Pocket has one of the cleanest looking images I've ever seen and looks just as good on pans and high motion as other similar cameras. It even outperforms the GP7 in certain instances and that's the GP7 using h.265 and outperforms many cameras costing well more.

Is the Pocket perfect, no. Does the Pocket have the best image of any camera near its price or size, yes and by a mile.

Seriously, if people are going to post anything negative, show examples to prove your point. Otherwise you are simply trolling.

2019-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 04:19
Even at half birate 50Mbps it captures 20% more details with a smaller end file in H265 than H264 100Mbps , the H264 is outdated !
Maybe they can let the user choose between H264 and H265 for those who still wants to use H264 because their PC is not powerful enough to handle H265 videos , but since the beginning I saw a lots of posts demanding to implement H265 to the Osmo Pocket and it looks like DJI don't care  
The Osmo Action has exactly the same problem , the gopro 7 shoots better videos in the  details and has less compression just because it uses H265 and it's only 78Mbps

It’s amazing what idiots vlogging on you tube will implant into others so they think they can freely without any proof as above user has pointed to, come on here and spew verbatim what is clearly not true .

I think above poster has correctly pointed out what is clearly going on here .
2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I imagine lost details when panning can simply be a matter of shutter speed, and would apply to either codec.  The '180 degree rule' is intended deliberately to introduce blurring of movement, because within limits, that pleases the eye.  You can, in the right light, use a fast shutter speed and every frame you examine will be pin sharp - but during normal replay, the effect will be sub-optimum for most viewers.
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

David_Harry Posted at 6-3 05:35
This is completely wrong.

You obviously don't understand what either compression standard is doing and the diminishing returns beyond a certain bit rate. Both are optimised for certain bit rates at specific resolutions and frame rates.

Please don't call me a troll, i'm not here to make your education, there are plenty of tests , comparisons , on the net ,maybe you  just go ask Google  ?

I'm not complaining about the quality of the videos from the  Osmo Pocket , but it could be even better with a simple codec upgrade

But if you really want an example I made a comparison of raw footage between a gopro 7 and an Osmo Action witch seems to have the same hardware than the pocket exept the apperture, both were shot at 4K 60fps , here you can really see that H265 is more efficient to keep all the details , look at the grass , look at the trees ....

2019-6-3
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There are so many variables.  See for instance and for more discussion of codecs and comparisons, see Philip Bloom's full comparative review at
2019-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 06:26
Please don't call me a troll, i'm not here to make your education, there are plenty of tests , comparisons , on the net ,maybe you  just go ask Google  ?

I'm not complaining about the quality of the videos from the  Osmo Pocket , but it could be even better with a simple codec upgrade

And what exactly do you think you've just shown???
2019-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 06:26
Please don't call me a troll, i'm not here to make your education, there are plenty of tests , comparisons , on the net ,maybe you  just go ask Google  ?

You’re completely bonkers ...
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

fansfe82067d Posted at 6-3 06:35
There are so many variables.  See for instance https://youtu.be/29t0a10EJbU and for more discussion of codecs and comparisons, see Philip Bloom's full comparative review at https://youtu.be/wiR1Ejp_Ypk?t=415

I saw those reviews , and that's exactly what i'm pointing out .

the compression ratio of H265 is almost double that of H264.
H264 provides support for 16 x 16-pixel macroblocks whereas H265 provides support for 64 x 64-pixel macroblocks
And video compression is highly dependent upon prediction motion between frames. H265 offers significant improvements in prediction motion compared to H264.
The intraframe prediction function of H265 is more descriptive than H264. This means H265 can allow for 33 directions of motion whereas H264 only allows for nine directions of motion.
H265 implements separate tiles and slices which are decoded independently.
2019-6-3
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 04:19
The Osmo Action has exactly the same problem , the gopro 7 shoots better videos in the  details and has less compression just because it uses H265 and it's only 78Mbps

Hi Gio,

This is a subject that I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Cause I also had a same question and did some research a couple of days ago.
I end up looking through HEVC codec standard paper.

What I find is that H265 is not created to improve the image quality as a main focus.
It is created to conserve the network bandwidth in mind.

Compression algorithm is not a clear cut. HEVC compares more frame to get more accurate compression but it is for smaller file size not for better image quality.
Basically to have a better image quality, you need to have more data in it. (Max is Raw file)
And before the codec compress all the data, CPU need to be able to handle all that data. (Also the memory bandwidth of the system.)
So if pocket's image processor is only good for handling upto H264 100Mbps than even the codec is H265 it will have the same data amount to compress. It will end up 30~40% smaller file size but same data amount.

I am happy to be proven wrong as I also interested in researching this but all the GoPro 7 H264 vs H265 video comparison shows no visible difference.
If H265 is the silver bullet for better image quality, all the big camera makers like Cannon, Fuji, Sony should be the one adapt it first. (Although they are working on adapting H265 like Sony to replace XAVC to XEVC for Bayer RAW endocing to 12bit color, it comes with new precessor as well. Their main reason to adapting it is not for improvement of current set up but because it allow to record the needed massive data amount to be reduced to fit on the bandwidth of exising storage media.)

The pictures you posted has different amount of data object in the scene and it could be the difference in movement speed between frames. (cannot really tell cause there are many comperison videos that all tell the different story in every direction.)

If possible, I like DJI to use H265 and bump up the data amount up to H264 200Mbps equivalent with 10bit color for HDR rendering benefit. But I don't think that is how it works.
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

Tide Posted at 6-3 07:13
Hi Gio,

This is a subject that I would be happy to be proven wrong.

This is what I call a constructive answer nothing to do with the answers of the 2 DJI fanboys Harry Potter and James Bond who are only bashing people who  critisize in every thread without any contribution
2019-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 08:14
This is what I call a constructive answer  nothing to do with the answers of the 2 DJI fanboys Harry Potter and James Bond who are only bashing people who  critisize in every thread without any contribution

You post two pictures that are screen grabs of one of the worst media players ever and that's how you justify your reasoning.

You also make no mention of the exposure conditions for each camera.

And my favourite, you don't even show an example of the camera you're talking about.

I guess that all proves that you don't know what you're talking about.
2019-6-3
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

What H.265 gets you is entirely dependant upon how it is implemented. Let's take two examples right from DJI:

1. Phantom 4 Pro - There is ZERO difference in quality between H.264 and H.265. If you use H.265, you simply get smaller file sizes with the cost being that H.265 takes more computer horsepower to work with
2. Mavic 2 Pro - Without H.265 you cannot do 10 bit Color in D-Log. You do not get a smaller file size, but the H.265 codec allows for much more color data to be saved without taking up a lot more disk space. The cost here being that more horsepower is needed to work with the files and you have to do your own lens correction in post

So "simply making H.265 available" does not, in itself, fix ANYTHING. It is purely about its implementation.
2019-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 08:14
This is what I call a constructive answer  nothing to do with the answers of the 2 DJI fanboys Harry Potter and James Bond who are only bashing people who  critisize in every thread without any contribution

Nobody’s criticizing, you posted something that is completely incorrect, you posted it not because you know but because you heard it on you tube, then you try to defend it and even when you are shown up to be wrong, you remain tongue tied and can’t admit you were wrong, but decide to call others fanboys, it’s seems your a fan yourself, not sure if your a fan girl or boy though, so maybe giggy will explain to everyone how he is right and everyone else is wrong .
2019-6-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day gio37540. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us today. Let me please forward this information/thread to the designated DJI department. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you.
2019-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-3 08:38
Nobody’s criticizing, you posted something that is completely incorrect, you posted it not because you know but because you heard it on you tube, then you try to defend it and even when you are shown up to be wrong, you remain tongue tied and can’t admit you were wrong, but decide to call others fanboys, it’s seems your a fan yourself, not sure if your a fan girl or boy though, so maybe giggy will explain to everyone how he is right and everyone else is wrong .

Totally agree.
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

Oh come on Harry and James on every thread I see  where there is criticism you both bashing people being arrogant without contributing to the debate or sharing your knowledge most of the time.
I think I was maybe wrong about this codec thing, I'm perfectly fine to admit it but you contributed nothing to this debate, thanks to fansfe82067d  , Tide and KerryG
Some youtubers like Philip Bloom also knows what there talking about , and in one of his video he talks about the fact that the Osmo Action can't capture as much details in videos with fast movements as the gopro because it's using H264 VS H265 , it's less noticiable on the pocket because it's narrower FOV, so the pocket has less details to treat and handle it better than the Osmo Action but still worst than the gopro ...
Maybe implementing H265 on the pocket would bring no gain in video quality ( the only ones who could confirm that are those who posts automatic responses )  but alone for the file size it would be great !

Here are the RAW files I used so you can compare it with your super mega video player( what do you use as video player ? ) and tell me what you think ...

https://mega.nz/#F!3sBzXCiQ!l6Go_5XE9GSeBGsWrQ-PsA
2019-6-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 10:55
Oh come on Harry and James on every thread I see  where there is criticism you both bashing people being arrogant without contributing to the debate or sharing your knowledge most of the time.
I think I was maybe wrong about this codec thing, I'm perfectly fine to admit it but you contributed nothing to this debate, thanks to fansfe82067d  , Tide and KerryG
Some youtubers like Philip Bloom also knows what there talking about , and in one of his video he talks about the fact that the Osmo Action can't capture as much details in videos with fast movements as the gopro because it's using H264 VS H265 , it's less noticiable on the pocket because it's narrower FOV, so the pocket has less details to treat and handle it better than the Osmo Action but still worst than the gopro ...

Hey Giggy, I believe David Harry in his first reply answered and corrected your opening post which only served to confuse.
Regarding other posts, I think your referring to 9 reasons you shouldn’t buy OP, and I think it’s fairly clear that all who posted on that thread were in agreement, but what it shows is your intent here was to whinge and moan give out incorrect information for reasons I suppose we will never know
2019-6-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gio37540 Posted at 6-3 10:55
Oh come on Harry and James on every thread I see  where there is criticism you both bashing people being arrogant without contributing to the debate or sharing your knowledge most of the time.
Some youtubers like Philip Bloom also knows what there talking about , and in one of his video he talks about the fact that the Osmo Action can't capture as much details in videos with fast movements as the gopro because it's using H264 VS H265 , it's less noticiable on the pocket because it's narrower FOV, so the pocket has less details to treat and handle it better than the Osmo Action but still worst than the gopro ...

I'd rather be arrogant than ignorant.

Anyway, no amount of deflecting on your part is going to hide the fact that you have been proven wrong, yet you still continue with your ignorance.
As for not contributing, yeah right.

Surely there's a FB page somewhere for people like you.
2019-6-3
Use props
gio37540
lvl.2
France

David_Harry Posted at 6-3 12:04
I'd rather be arrogant than ignorant.

Anyway, no amount of deflecting on your part is going to hide the fact that you have been proven wrong, yet you still continue with your ignorance.

Sorry for my ignorance Mr Knowsitall

It seems you don't know what are the forums used for .

Surely there's a place for people like you in the world wide web, but certainly in no kind of forum
2019-6-3
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Might as well ask for ProRes RAW or Blackmagic RAW too. Those are just as likely as H.265.
2019-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules