Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ILLEGAL TO FLY DRONES IN CANADA UNLESS...
12Next >
6520 40 2019-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 185531 ft
Canada

2019-6-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting video with us. Cheers!
2019-6-4
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 6-4 08:11
Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting video with us. Cheers!

Thank you for watching!
2019-6-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

DUHHHHHH
2019-6-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Pillzberri Posted at 6-4 08:40
Thank you for watching!

You're most welcome. Should you have further concerns, please let us know.
2019-6-4
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

guess I won't be visiting Canada.
2019-6-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am hoping to be visiting Canada someday.
But that won't be too soon, so I will have to check then how things are with drones.
2019-6-5
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Thanks for sharing the new policy with us, nice drone video, Fly safety.
2019-6-5
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Woe Posted at 6-4 17:39
guess I won't be visiting Canada.

I believe if you are not a permanent resident or a citizen you are not allowed to fly entirely. Man I dislike these new rules/regulations.
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 6-5 01:07
I am hoping to be visiting Canada someday.
But that won't be too soon, so I will have to check then how things are with drones.

Yes because at the moment if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident you can't fly regardless.
2019-6-5
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

AJC-W Posted at 6-5 11:01
Thanks for sharing

Thank you for watching friend!
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Thanks for watching friend!
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Panda Posted at 6-5 01:28
Thanks for sharing the new policy with us, nice drone video, Fly safety.

Glad to keep the Dji community aware of the new regulations here in Canada!
2019-6-5
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pillzberri Posted at 6-5 11:17
Thank you for watching friend!

You're welcome
2019-6-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pillzberri Posted at 6-5 10:59
Yes because at the moment if you aren't a citizen or permanent resident you can't fly regardless.

True!
For us it is also a matter of budget
2019-6-5
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Pillzberri Posted at 6-5 10:58
I believe if you are not a permanent resident or a citizen you are not allowed to fly entirely. Man I dislike these new rules/regulations.

Actually Transport Canada intends for foreigners to be allowed to fly- they have a method for this, it's just that their procedure is broken at the moment. I suspect they will fix this asap.

Currently a few things are required to fly as a non-citizen:
1. You must register your drone with Transport Canada (like all Canadians), pay the $5 fee.
2. Mark your drone as required
3. Complete a SFOC indicating your are are not a Canadian National
4. Be qualified to operate a drone as per your home country and be able to prove this (within the SFOC and on your person at all times that you fly in Canada).
5. Obey all TC regulations.

The problem is that #3...there is NO means to identify this or #4 on the form.  Also they are very weak on #4 since most countries do not have a license qualification (as Canada does now) so how can you indicate this or prove this....

I suspect they will correct this situation in the near future as Canada will be setting a huge negative precedent by not allowing foreign drone operators and this will open the doors for other countries to disallow this as well - crushing the travel point to owning and operating a UAV.  I for one mostly use my drone out-of-country.
2019-6-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Pillzberri Posted at 6-5 10:58

That's a bummer. I feel if I can't take my drone I'm not going
2019-6-5
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 6-5 12:05
True!
For us it is also a matter of budget

Yea travelling can get expensive I feel you on this one!
2019-6-6
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 6-5 14:30
Actually Transport Canada intends for foreigners to be allowed to fly- they have a method for this, it's just that their procedure is broken at the moment. I suspect they will fix this asap.

Currently a few things are required to fly as a non-citizen:

Oh shoot wrong information from me. Sorry everyone! Also I assume getting SFOC certified must be really hard since the basic operations test t self was pretty challenging then there is Advance operations certification and after that is SFOC. Looks like foreigners need to be WAY more qualified to fly a drone than a Canadian citizen/permanent resident. This Sucks.  
2019-6-6
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Woe Posted at 6-5 17:37
That's a bummer. I feel if I can't take my drone I'm not going

I am travelling to Alberta this summer to the mountains and was looking forward to getting some footage from there but there is absolutely no drone flying in national parks. Really brought my excitement down to travel there.
2019-6-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Pillzberri Posted at 6-6 05:37
I am travelling to Alberta this summer to the mountains and was looking forward to getting some footage from there but there is absolutely no drone flying in national parks. Really brought my excitement down to travel there.

I understand no flying in national park, as it's the same in the states. But the restrictions
are the true downside. I just hope those restrictions don't hit the states.
2019-6-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pillzberri Posted at 6-6 05:33
Yea travelling can get expensive I feel you on this one!

Especially if you have to fly to the other side of the world. You don't want to do that for just 2 weeks (at least, we don't)
2019-6-6
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

Pillzberri Posted at 6-5 11:17
Thanks for watching friend!

You're welcome buddy~!
2019-6-6
Use props
lvl.4
Canada

Pillzberri Posted at 6-6 05:35
Oh shoot wrong information from me. Sorry everyone! Also I assume getting SFOC certified must be really hard since the basic operations test t self was pretty challenging then there is Advance operations certification and after that is SFOC. Looks like foreigners need to be WAY more qualified to fly a drone than a Canadian citizen/permanent resident. This Sucks.

No my friend you are still technically correct.  Since Transport Canada's method is broken there isn't the ability to drone as a foreigner yet...This is similar to other countries that have regulations requiring that flights be registered for approval via their website - but when you go to their website so such thing exists. .  I'd expect Canada to fix this issue after they get a flood of requests.  But, given how our government works it is possible that they intend to shut out foreign drone operators for a while until the dust settles on regulations everywhere.
2019-6-6
Use props
lvl.4
Canada

Woe Posted at 6-6 06:12
I understand no flying in national park, as it's the same in the states. But the restrictions
are the true downside. I just hope those restrictions don't hit the states.

Ya, unfortunately most of Canada's beauty is prohibited from being enjoyed by drones because drones are now classified as Aircraft - identical to Airplanes thanks to our federal transport Minister being one of the biggest drone-haters out there.  
    The U.S. used to be more restrictive than Canada, now I believe we are actually less restrictive (if you don't include the absurdly detailed operator licencing test requirement).  Canada at least now allows flight over people - with an Advanced Operator License; more difficult to obtain and costs a min of $200-250 extra which was designed to hurt people in the pocket book and curb the # of operators in this category.  Prior to our new law, they had advertised that one of the new regulations was going to require insurance as a mandatory requirement; that was mysteriously taken out.  I have a theory that in about 1 year time, flight over people will be removed or made crazily restricted.  The US/FAA is trending towards a regulation prohibiting flight over moving vehicles; I think Canada is waiting to copy this, and the SECOND our media creates some more fake news about drone incidents involving people, they will ban that .  Canada has lied to the public for years in regards to drone incidents with aircraft.  Lets hope that in the next year or so that US/Canada chills a little and becomes less fear-based in their regulatory framework.
2019-6-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I've just deleted Canada from my wishlist countries to visit!!...
2019-6-6
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

2019-6-6
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

What about professional (foreign) crews that have an advertisement shoot or do something such as a BBC Nature documentary? - Top Gear anyone?

I cant see a complete ban on foreign operators wash ... .
2019-6-6
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 6-6 09:44
Ya, unfortunately most of Canada's beauty is prohibited from being enjoyed by drones because drones are now classified as Aircraft - identical to Airplanes thanks to our federal transport Minister being one of the biggest drone-haters out there.  
    The U.S. used to be more restrictive than Canada, now I believe we are actually less restrictive (if you don't include the absurdly detailed operator licencing test requirement).  Canada at least now allows flight over people - with an Advanced Operator License; more difficult to obtain and costs a min of $200-250 extra which was designed to hurt people in the pocket book and curb the # of operators in this category.  Prior to our new law, they had advertised that one of the new regulations was going to require insurance as a mandatory requirement; that was mysteriously taken out.  I have a theory that in about 1 year time, flight over people will be removed or made crazily restricted.  The US/FAA is trending towards a regulation prohibiting flight over moving vehicles; I think Canada is waiting to copy this, and the SECOND our media creates some more fake news about drone incidents involving people, they will ban that .  Canada has lied to the public for years in regards to drone incidents with aircraft.  Lets hope that in the next year or so that US/Canada chills a little and becomes less fear-based in their regulatory framework.

One can only hope. So here everyone will be required to have a license. Lucky for me
I am already 107 certified.
2019-6-6
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

Woe Posted at 6-6 17:56
One can only hope. So here everyone will be required to have a license. Lucky for me
I am already 107 certified.

Hey congrats! I believe if you want to fly in Canada  you would also need to register your drone with transportation Canada and get some sort of licensing here or show proof of certification form your country of origin.
2019-6-7
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

ro_flyer Posted at 6-6 11:19

loooool this is so funny. Who would have thought the days would come where people decide their trips based on drone laws. Man the world has changed so much.
2019-6-7
Use props
lvl.4
United States

*DM* Posted at 6-6 14:43
What about professional (foreign) crews that have an advertisement shoot or do something such as a BBC Nature documentary? - Top Gear anyone?

I cant see a complete ban on foreign operators wash ... .

As drones are "Aircraft" in Canada, with no exemptions for such purpose,  BBC would need to hire a Canadian operator to do it's filming .  Not sure how our film industry operates as far as unionized workers go - many US TV and Movie production companies (Hollywood) film in Canada (e.g. in Vancouver because Canadian $dollar is so low vs US) so I suspect they must use Canadian operators anyways...
2019-6-7
Use props
Pillzberri
lvl.3
Canada

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 6-7 10:58
As drones are "Aircraft" in Canada, with no exemptions for such purpose,  BBC would need to hire a Canadian operator to do it's filming .  Not sure how our film industry operates as far as unionized workers go - many US TV and Movie production companies (Hollywood) film in Canada (e.g. in Vancouver because Canadian $dollar is so low vs US) so I suspect they must use Canadian operators anyways...

It's so crazy how much the economy can change from these new laws
2019-6-7
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Pillzberri Posted at 6-7 08:44
loooool this is so funny. Who would have thought the days would come where people decide their trips based on drone laws. Man the world has changed so much.

As a scubadiver I plan my trips based on what I like to do in the places I'll visit. I also make money with YouTube videos of my trips. Aerial footage is also great part of my content... So YES I decide my trips based on what I can expect from the place and what it can provide for my videos. If I want to shoot beautiful women in biquinis at the beach, I would never go to Egypt and so on (hope you got the idea).... ;-)

As a canadian you should be not be ofended... I'm not saying that I'll never go to Canada because of drone laws... And also I think canadians won't give a s**t if I will visit it or not!! LOL .... It sure is a beautiful country, but I really prefer go to drone "friendlyer countries (before they are all gone). So don't be upset!! The "world has not changed so much" as you think!!

You may think this is funny... maybe that's because you don't have a purpose on your trips beside being there and making tons of Instagram selfies... Or you don't travel at all, and just fly your drone on your backyard. I really don't know why you have a drone (specially now with this crazy rules) LOL. And I won't judge you as well! The world is full of strange people!
Good luck with the (in my opinion) stupid drone rules in your country.

2019-6-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Pillzberri Posted at 6-7 08:43
Hey congrats! I believe if you want to fly in Canada  you would also need to register your drone with transportation Canada and get some sort of licensing here or show proof of certification form your country of origin.

Thank you. Sounds like drone flyers there are going to have a hard time flying.
2019-6-7
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Pillzberri Posted at 6-7 11:10
It's so crazy how much the economy can change from these new laws

Yup.  Drone 'economy' is targeted for multi-billion $ growth in short order, Canada and others will lose out by unnecessary restrictions...
2019-6-8
Use props
Jotne
lvl.3
Norway

Solution.

Next DJI drone.
Osmo Action camera integrated.
Weight 248gram

With a drone less than 250gram you can nearly fly anywhere you like, since most drone rules are not valid.

2019-6-9
Use props
marcuschonger
lvl.3
Canada

Just registered and did my basic test today. It wasn't terribly difficult, but I can see why it is a pain to get.
2019-6-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules