DJI Go with Phantom 4 RTK
12Next >
12577 45 2019-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sibidharan
lvl.1

India

I am just getting the hands on my new Phantom 4 RTK drone, which is intended for mapping solutions. So, all the mapping features built are excellent.

I am just wondering if I am able to use the Phantom 4 RTK with DJI Go app, for photography, ariel flimming @ 60 fps, and other cool and exciting features in the consumer grade drones like follow me, 360 photo etc.

I managed to download the DJI Go and DJI Go 4 app from here and installed it in the Remote Controller which came with the drone. I was able to sign in, but the app is crashing once I agree to the terms. I tried both DJI Go and DJI Go 4 app.

So all I am trying to do is to enjoy some consumer grade photography and flimming features in my Phantom 4 RTK which was intended for mapping solutions.

Is there any way to achieve it?
2019-6-5
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

The company line is you must use GS RTK. You can't use Go or Go 4 with the P4P RTK. There was some talk about maybe being able to use GS Pro on a mobile device plugged into the RC, but I don't know if anybody's gotten that to work.

2019-6-5
Use props
sibidharan
lvl.1

India

patiam Posted at 6-5 15:12
The company line is you must use GS RTK. You can't use Go or Go 4 with the P4P RTK. There was some talk about maybe being able to use GS Pro on a mobile device plugged into the RC, but I don't know if anybody's gotten that to work.

@patiam So you said it, lemme give it a try
2019-6-5
Use props
sibidharan
lvl.1

India

patiam Posted at 6-5 15:12
The company line is you must use GS RTK. You can't use Go or Go 4 with the P4P RTK. There was some talk about maybe being able to use GS Pro on a mobile device plugged into the RC, but I don't know if anybody's gotten that to work.

Doesn't seem to work
2019-6-5
Use props
jivago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

sibidharan Posted at 6-5 20:12
Doesn't seem to work

I tried and couldn't do that.
2019-6-6
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

You are supposed to be able to use DJI Terra via USB Cable now
2019-6-6
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LYVFD8142 Posted at 6-6 12:16

Ah yes, I knew there was another that I wasn't remembering... Can't vouch for whether that will help the OP or not... Sounds more like he just wants to fly manually and shoot stills and videos and the like.
2019-6-6
Use props
nickedw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2177287 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LYVFD8142 Posted at 6-6 12:16

Been doing theTerra thing all week. works like a charm.

Not tried dji go, and I suspect you can't use the technique used to get PIX4D/Litchi on a p4pro +which has a similar 'locked down' controller  as it requires two USB connections (you loop them together) the controller for the RTK just has a single USB C connector on the bottom.
2019-6-7
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneDeploy is a great mapping solution.  I've used it on a few jobs with success.
2019-6-7
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

nickedw Posted at 6-7 09:03

Not tried dji go, and I suspect you can't use the technique used to get PIX4D/Litchi on a p4pro +which has a similar 'locked down' controller  as it requires two USB connections (you loop them together) the controller for the RTK just has a single USB C connector on the bottom.

He, it sucks that DJI hasn't added all the flight modes in Terra, like Linear and Terrain etc etc.
2019-6-7
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-7 09:28
DroneDeploy is a great mapping solution.  I've used it on a few jobs with success.

Why do people suggest solutions in the P4 RTK forum that don't work with the platform?

DD can be used to process the data from the P4 RTK, but not to set up or control autonomous flight missions.
2019-6-7
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 6-7 14:46
Why do people suggest solutions in the P4 RTK forum that don't work with the platform?

DD can be used to process the data from the P4 RTK, but not to set up or control autonomous flight missions.

wow, so it can't use DroneDeploy?

DroneDeploy has RTK support.  You are better off using non-RTK non-P4P+ and just a regular V2.0 like me that Has proven to work with the Note 9 even on the Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-6-7
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AntDX316 Posted at 6-7 14:56
wow, so it can't use DroneDeploy?

DroneDeploy has RTK support.  You are better off using non-RTK non-P4P+ and just a regular V2.0 like me that Has proven to work with the Note 9 even on the Mavic 2 Zoom.

The only flight control apps that currently work with the P4P RTK are DJI ones (GS RTK and Terra). This will hopefully change as the SDK has been released and 3PAs will hopefully catch up to support the RTK.

Sorry for letting my frustration show but there are an awful lot of (well meaning) posts by non-P4P RTK owners in the P4 RTK forum offering suggestions and solutions that just don't apply, to the detriment of SNR. The assumption that a P4P RTK is just like any other P4 is just not valid, and if you own one, you know that.

I know folks want to help but if you don't know the answer, don't reply to the question... (which implies you actually read and understand the question of course).
2019-6-7
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 6-7 20:56
The only flight control apps that currently work with the P4P RTK are DJI ones (GS RTK and Terra). This will hopefully change as the SDK has been released and 3PAs will hopefully catch up to support the RTK.

Sorry for letting my frustration show but there are an awful lot of (well meaning) posts by non-P4P RTK owners in the P4 RTK forum offering suggestions and solutions that just don't apply, to the detriment of SNR. The assumption that a P4P RTK is just like any other P4 is just not valid, and if you own one, you know that.

DroneDeploy is better than GS RTK and Terra?
2019-6-7
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GS RTK sucks. It has improved since its initial release but is still about the worst I've used. Haven't tried Terra but folks say its better. DD is one of the better ones that work w/ a wide range of AC (but not the P4 RTK yet) IMO.
2019-6-8
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

has anyone tried out the new P4 RTK SDK controller yet ? any luck getting it to work ? I am having zero luck with mine at the moment...
2019-7-23
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

You have a RTK SDK Controller?  We havent purchased that yet, but would be very interested to see how you go?
2019-7-23
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

DJI4Survey Posted at 7-23 14:29
You have a RTK SDK Controller?  We havent purchased that yet, but would be very interested to see how you go?

yes got one but i cant seem to do anything with it as I am unable to link it to the drone.  you link it to the drone using the DJI GO 4 app - but the app does not recognize the RTK drone at the moment.

I have asked for help in another thread here... also did a firmware upgrade on the drone but i think the problem is with the app not the drone - not sure.
2019-7-24
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

help please is there anyone from DJI who can help me in suing my SDK RTK controller ? i paid a lot for it and its not functional ?
2019-7-29
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Other than setting up cases for RMAs and the like, the DJI support on this site is pretty much non-existent (unless you consider robo-greetings support). You're much more likely to get help from another user that has worked through a similar problem. Sorry, I don't have the RTK SDK controller so I can't help.
2019-7-29
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

patiam Posted at 7-29 12:29
Other than setting up cases for RMAs and the like, the DJI support on this site is pretty much non-existent (unless you consider robo-greetings support). You're much more likely to get help from another user that has worked through a similar problem. Sorry, I don't have the RTK SDK controller so I can't help.

thanks for letting me know ! maybe there will be some movement sometime soon - does any one else have one ?
2019-7-31
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hopefully someone does. I recall @DJI4Survey was in the market for one...
2019-7-31
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Yeah, we will be getting one, but at the moment it looks like throwing $1k against a wall.

2019-8-1
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI4Survey Posted at 8-1 15:33
Yeah, we will be getting one, but at the moment it looks like throwing $1k against a wall.

You're a veteran DJI user, I'd think youd've come to expect that!
2019-8-1
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

yes feeling really burnt here as i have my controller but it seems pretty useless ? and no help from DJI !!!
2019-8-9
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Any update on this one Sputnik?  I would imagine you might have more luck linking the controller to the aircraft using the GS RTK app.  But not sure if they provide access to that app on the SDK controller.

I have one on its way now, so if I find a way to get it connected, I will let you know.

Cheers,
2019-8-14
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

DJI4Survey Posted at 8-14 16:17
Any update on this one Sputnik?  I would imagine you might have more luck linking the controller to the aircraft using the GS RTK app.  But not sure if they provide access to that app on the SDK controller.

I have one on its way now, so if I find a way to get it connected, I will let you know.

nope no luck yet but i am going to try again today and will let you know how it goes - i have updated firmware and the dji go app
2019-8-22
Use props
jdzac
lvl.2

United States

nickedw Posted at 6-7 09:03

Not tried dji go, and I suspect you can't use the technique used to get PIX4D/Litchi on a p4pro +which has a similar 'locked down' controller  as it requires two USB connections (you loop them together) the controller for the RTK just has a single USB C connector on the bottom.

Can you guys who are using Terra fill us in on how you're doing it?  Does it display on the built-in display of the P4-RTK controller, or (since you said you're plugging it in with a USB cable) are you putting it on a different display?   
2019-8-23
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

You have to run Terra off a laptop or Windows tablet that is plugged into the P4 RTK Controller.

It makes it super awkward to use in the field and we decided we would wait until another solution became available.

Not to mention the price.  Yearly subscription in Australia was 3000k+.  You are paying for the photogrammetry processing side of the application, which is inferior to agisoft/pix4d.  

I have the SDK controller, just arrived and am just uploading firmware and activatiing, so will hopefully find a solution soon.

Cheers,
2019-8-24
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Alright, SDK remote does connect to the P4RTK fine.  The issue is there are very few apps that support it.

DJI GO 4 does not recognise the aircraft.  GS Pro definitely does.  If you are using GS Pro and a Network or CORS correction you should be able to use it easily.

It does seem to be able to use the DRTK2 correction as well, however, there is no option to set the base coordinates using GS Pro.

So you would have to take note of the base coordinates at setup and translate all the data based on your actual base coordinates after the survey was completed.  Not a deal breaker, but a pain in the arse.

DJI, if you read this, add the ability to enter base coordinates to GS Pro and I will be very happy.  

I think the SDK controller will work fine with 3rd party apps as well, once they are developed to handle the hardware.

Cheers,
2019-8-25
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the report. Glad to hear somebody has had success w/ the SDK RC!
2019-8-26
Use props
Modestos
lvl.2
Israel

DJI4Survey Posted at 8-25 03:09
Alright, SDK remote does connect to the P4RTK fine.  The issue is there are very few apps that support it.

DJI GO 4 does not recognise the aircraft.  GS Pro definitely does.  If you are using GS Pro and a Network or CORS correction you should be able to use it easily.

Hi, thanks for the update.

I tried what you did and did not succeed, as I also used GS Pro and could not connect the RC RTK to P4PR .
All of them with latest version update ,Firmware and GS Pro.
2019-8-29
Use props
fansaf92726b
lvl.3

Same here... Tried with the hardware method (Pressing the buttons...), then tried with a Samsung device with DJI PIlot App installed and finally tried with the iPad Mini and DJI GS Pro app and also no luck there...Newest firmware is installed on RC and on the drone itself.
2019-9-3
Use props
fansaf92726b
lvl.3

sputnik7 Posted at 8-22 04:44
nope no luck yet but i am going to try again today and will let you know how it goes - i have updated firmware and the dji go app

Have you gotten it to work by now? And if so, how?

I have developed everything needed into my app but I can't test it or go fly it since I also still can't pair the drone with the RC.

I got this from DJI Support:

Regarding your problem, please check if it is the latest firmware for Remote Controller and aircraft. https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk/info#downloads
Aircraft Firmware:  v02.01.0009
Remote Controller Firmware: v02.01.0012

But in the DJI Assistant for Phantom (Newest Version 2.0.7) the latest update for the drone is right, the latest update for the RC that is shown and can be installed is 02.01.0009 and not 02.01.0012.
I downloaded the bin firmware file manually but that also didn't help since I couldn't install the update directly from a USB stick plugged into the RC nor with an SD card USB adapter and putting the bin file on the SD card.
I told all of that to DJI but haven't gotten a response yet. I'll keep you posted on any news and/or successes.
2019-9-5
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>

fansaf92726b Posted at 9-5 22:42
Have you gotten it to work by now? And if so, how?

I have developed everything needed into my app but I can't test it or go fly it since I also still can't pair the drone with the RC.

i have updated my drone, and the controller to the latest firmwares and it still does not link to the drone. The problem is the DJI Go 4 app needed to link the RTK SDK controller to the RTK drone does not support the RTK drone so it is just not possible,
2019-10-11
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>

DJI4Survey Posted at 8-25 03:09

how did you pair the SDK controller with the RTK drone ? I am having no luck here
2019-10-11
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4

GS Pro on IOS and DJI Pilot on android are the only applications you can currently use to connect your SDK controller to the P4RTK.  I haven't used DJI Pilot as we use IOS, but have heard it is a similar process.

The connection is very standard for DJI Phantoms, But you have to be in those apps to do it.  Click on your remote controller icon, click linking.  Press the linking button on the aircraft.

If using the D-RTK2 Base:

Once the aircraft is connected, go into the RTK tab, and scroll down to linking.  Start linking.  Press the linking button on the D-RTK2 receiver (left one).  Once the D-RTK 2 links, it will prompt to re-link the aircraft.

We do not use CORS for our corrections so not sure how it would change for that.

Cheers,
2019-10-13
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4

Just tried DJI Pilot on Android device and cannot get the KML to import correctly.  Keep getting "Task Type Error"
2019-10-13
Use props
sputnik7
lvl.2
  • >>>
Spain

think i will sell my dji rtk since no third party apps are supported...
2019-10-19
Use props
Skyveyor112
lvl.4
United States

sputnik7 Posted at 10-19 08:59
think i will sell my dji rtk since no third party apps are supported...

sputnik 7,

No .... The Phantom RTK is far from a professional surveying solution. Way too many quirks and not enough utility. The terrain awareness feature is seriously flawed. It's like DJI developed this feature in a closet without looking at competitive products. Until now, I was very happy with the DJI products. almost an evangelist. For $8,300 the RTK should be much better. Lots of misrepresentations and false marketing claims.  
2019-11-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules