Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Waterproof without lens cover?
1525 11 2019-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bleunetizen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 784 ft
New Zealand

Just placed an order for a set of Freewell filters for my Osmo Action, was debating between this and Polarpro which has magnetic cover but thought the magnetic one might get knocked out of place when extremely shaky etc, so decided to go with Freewell.

Just wondering how good the waterproofness is with Osmo action without the stock lense cover - polarize filter has rotating bezel so surely some water will find its way through the gaps on the filter.

Would it be safe to use the camera in swimming pool or shallow sea max of 2m deep etc without the stock lense cover?  I want to use ND and polarize filter but wondering whether I should stay away from water or not..
2019-6-5
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

The filters for water are red no ? I ordered the polarpro but I will don't use in water
2019-6-5
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Their FAQ says to make sure that the lens filter is properly attached before using it in water.

I, too, figured that in order for a polarizing filter to move, there needs to be some gap or play or a rubber gasket that makes it harder to rotate????
2019-6-5
Use props
bleunetizen
lvl.1
New Zealand

I don't plan to submerge the camera to take footage but just do not want to water damage the camera around the water, and prefer to occasionally dip into water for a brief moment for some 'action' shots..
2019-6-5
Use props
bleunetizen
lvl.1
New Zealand

bleunetizen Posted at 6-5 17:03
I don't plan to submerge the camera to take footage but just do not want to water damage the camera around the water, and prefer to occasionally dip into water for a brief moment for some 'action' shots..

Sent a query to Freewell and got the following response-

"
All our straight filter such as ND, IR UV, Light Pollution are waterproof although you won't be using any of the nd filters underwater as they act as stopping light.
ND/PL, CPL splashproof as they have ring in between.
"
2019-6-6
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I just unpacked my freewell filters ( feel / look nice )
The regular ND filters are just as WP as the original dji one, the ones with CPL feature too are not waterproof.
Without the filter to cover the actual lens i think the OA are wide open to water getting in.

In water i don't think you would want to use a ND filter, so better use the stock one for that
2019-6-6
Use props
bleunetizen
lvl.1
New Zealand

peiter Posted at 6-6 01:17
I just unpacked my freewell filters ( feel / look nice )
The regular ND filters are just as WP as the original dji one, the ones with CPL feature too are not waterproof.
Without the filter to cover the actual lens i think the OA are wide open to water getting in.

Yeah but it would be nice if we can use CPL close to water without worrying about water damaging the "action" camera
2019-6-6
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Yeah, TBH i don't get why they have not made the CPL sit on top of something that are waterproof, then again if you got water ASO in between 2 pieces of glass you would also need a way to take the 2 apart so you could clean them.
I would have made so the CPL filters would slide on top of the ND filters, and just have a friction bond with a O ring or something.
2019-6-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

peiter Posted at 6-6 05:59
Yeah, TBH i don't get why they have not made the CPL sit on top of something that are waterproof, then again if you got water ASO in between 2 pieces of glass you would also need a way to take the 2 apart so you could clean them.
I would have made so the CPL filters would slide on top of the ND filters, and just have a friction bond with a O ring or something.

In reading a bit higher in the thread, I actually glanced at the camera/lens/filter to see if it was threaded to accommodate a filter on top but NO!  

Maybe someone can 3d print an adapter that fits over the native filter and is threaded to take polarized filters.
2019-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

With lens cap off your OA is fully waterproof also with lens cap on , using PP filter lens filter magnetic is not fully waterproof, but is somewhat water resistant , so always a danger using PP filter in water of water getting in between filter and Lens, although no need for filters when in water .
2019-6-6
Use props
bleunetizen
lvl.1
New Zealand

I thought we had to have the lens cap on to keep it waterproof - are you sure it is still waterproof without the filter/cap on? I remember reading somewhere suggesting to make sure that the cap needed to be on to make it waterproof
2019-6-6
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

bleunetizen Posted at 6-6 12:53
I thought we had to have the lens cap on to keep it waterproof - are you sure it is still waterproof without the filter/cap on? I remember reading somewhere suggesting to make sure that the cap needed to be on to make it waterproof

In Post #3 above, I cited, if not quoted, the DJI FAQ.  The lens cap/filter or whatever it is, is suppose to be properly tightened for waterproofness.

2019-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules