Editing from an external USB SSD
6826 23 2019-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.
Here's a video showing that you can use an external USB-C SSD for edting, this is with the cheap drive that I posted a video about the other day.

In the video I'm using a high bitrate intra-frame codec which pushes a drive harder than using inter-frame codecs. As the Pocket and Action use low bitrate inter-frame codecs, their media bitrates would be even easier to read.

Cheers,
Dave.

https://youtu.be/Nj6p5fwVkMM
2019-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this video on video editing you have created. This is very informative. Great work and thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-7
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-7 09:16
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this video on video editing you have created. This is very informative. Great work and thank you for your valued support.

Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-8
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 6-8 03:22
Hi Stephen.

You are very welcome.

It is always my pleasure Dave. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-8
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi David.
I watched your video several times taking in as much as I could about how you export your videos and I understand the appeal of using all I frames but is the tradeoff worth it? (This was an internal question to my self rather than a question for you) The result is, it made me rethink my export settings in a way I hadn't considered before and has resulted in a much better export of my videos using up less space. Better yet, YouTube hasn't compressed the resulting uploaded footage as much as it has previously, so in a roundabout way, thank you. Your insights have yet again helped me to improve.
2019-6-11
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2019-6-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-8 09:34
It is always my pleasure Dave. Have a safe and happy flying always.

2019-6-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

maddox Posted at 6-9 04:56
Thanks for sharing

2019-6-12
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-11 14:22
Hi David.
I watched your video several times taking in as much as I could about how you export your videos and I understand the appeal of using all I frames but is the tradeoff worth it? (This was an internal question to my self rather than a question for you) The result is, it made me rethink my export settings in a way I hadn't considered before and has resulted in a much better export of my videos using up less space. Better yet, YouTube hasn't compressed the resulting uploaded footage as much as it has previously, so in a roundabout way, thank you. Your insights have yet again helped me to improve.

Hi Ray.

I'm glad the video was helpful.

Using an Intra-frame workflow is in every way better than Inter-frame, except for file size and also upload/download speeds.

Although certain things such as using an Intra-frame codec as an intermediate for YouTube uploading  will be diminishing returns. It is however going to produce the best quality transcode by YouTube, regardless of the small incremental advantages.

I'll do a video soon showing a workflow using X264 to create an Inter-frame intermediate. This creates something that's going to be so visually close to an Intra-frame intermediate. that most people would never see the difference. Plus it creates a way smaller file that's much easier to upload to YouTube.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-6-12
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

No problem buddy
2019-6-12
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

David_Harry Posted at 6-12 03:49
Hi Ray.

I'm glad the video was helpful.

Thanks for this, Dave.
2019-6-13
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 6-13 00:40
Thanks for this, Dave.

Hi Udo.

You are very welcome buddy. This may give you some ideas for a storage solution for your SD backups with your SD/USB device. Plus, it may give you some ideas about how well it works with Edius.

If budget isn’t an issue I would recommend using a Samsung EVO 860. I can’t say anything about the long term performance of the cheap SSD I used in this video and I’ve never had any issues with Samsung SSD’s. The external case I’ve used for this combination is the best budget one I’ve tried and is also just as fast as other more expensive ones.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-13
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

No problem
2019-6-15
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

David_Harry Posted at 6-13 01:39
Hi Udo.

You are very welcome buddy. This may give you some ideas for a storage solution for your SD backups with your SD/USB device. Plus, it may give you some ideas about how well it works with Edius.

Thanks Dave.
2019-6-17
Use props
Celtic Shadows
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4144 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure of the type of USB drive you're using, but you can roll your own USB-C drives using SATA m.2 drives. All you need is a Transcend CM80 and a m.2 SATA drive (identifiable with the double notch at the contacts) of your choice, depending on your system you can hit upwards of 400Mb/s. There is m.2 NVMe adaptors out there but they're harder to find. The CM80 enclosures are relatively small and durable, and I use them as secondary back up when in the field and transport of data.

I'd not recommend using SSDs as long term back up solutions as they lose cell charge over a period of time, meaning the data will be unreadable. Ideally you'll still use some HDDs or if more storage required then NAS/DAS preferably alongside a tape drive. Downside with NAS/DAS and LTO drives is that they're all expensive and can be complicated to set up. Also note HDDs need to be spun up on a regular basis if you're using them for back up to help prevent the bearings seizing.
2019-7-22
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-31
Use props
Jimis.M
lvl.3
Flight distance : 754705 ft
Cyprus

Thanks for sharing
2019-8-31
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-8-31
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Jimis.M Posted at 8-31 10:49
Thanks for sharing

My pleasure.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-8-31
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Nothing said below is intended to detract from the informative OP. I am delighted this has worked for you.

Many users may not realise that between the external drive and the computer bus (ultimately where the signal (data) is processed are bottlenecks in the circuitry. In addition, when other processes are running in the background that the user probably won't be aware of, this will drastically slow down the transfer of data.
I would expect your computer to be a modern, fast piece of kit, and you obviously know what you are doing. Many users new to video through drones may not be so lucky, because they don't have the best kit.
If the user has a Win 10 system, they may know that they can test data throughput by transferring a large video file to an external device and back again (most likely with quite different results. This will indicate possible issues with their computer. Not all USB ports are high speed, some devices have a fast port for drives and slow ones for things like printer, scanners etc.

Note the current speed line, which varies in height with the speed numbers and the green graph which shows speed fluctuations. Typically, there is a burst to start then it slows to a steadier rate.
If you try this with your SD card, you may be surprised how poor the result is compared with the rated card speed. The fact the SD card works perfectly in the drone or camera is because it is directly connected to the bus of the drone or camera and not running through a usb port.

To copy the file from desktop to a folder on the internal hard drive is 1.26Gigabyte/sec so, as you see, USB ports are great for connectivity, but not the fastest way to work.

Int HD.gif
2019-11-11
Use props
mirandaright87hotmail.com
lvl.4

Austria

It's better to use an SSD for your operating system and applications. Using an extern SSD will only give you a little bit better performance as this resource claims https://gagadget.com/en/66712-best-ssds-for-video-editing-internal-and-external-review/. The highest performance gain is with your operating system and applications.

2021-5-15
Use props
apkgameoffline
New

Chile

Hello Dave, Thank you for sharing such a great and informative video.
2021-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules