Afocal Moon
991 25 2019-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

So I went out in the backyard with my smallest telescope, a 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain, to have a quick peek at the moon. Then I thought I'd try to get some afocal (through the eyepiece) shots using the OP just for fun. Well, it wasn't easy to hold the OP in the right place and it didn't turn out that great either (it's far easier to use a DSLR in prime focus), but it sure was  fun trying. I will most likely try it again sometime and try to come up some some sort of mounting option as well, to be able to keep the OP in the sweetspot.

Afocal Moon

Afocal Moon

2019-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day CasualDronePilot. Thank you for sharing this cool photo you have captured and on how you have captured this shot. Cool work and thank you for your support.
2019-6-7
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-7 13:42
Hello and good day CasualDronePilot. Thank you for sharing this cool photo you have captured and on how you have captured this shot. Cool work and thank you for your support.

Thanks for your reply, glad you liked it. I'm already trying to figure out how to improve this kind of photography with the Osmo Pocket and a telescope.
2019-6-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I would say that is as good as I would expect to get with a DSLR and a 500mm lens on an APS-C body. I'm surprised you even managed this, It couldn't have been easy.
My suggestion would be to build a collar to hold the Osmo Pocket in place and keep it in APV mode. Even that could be a problem if your telescope is motorised as the gimbal may still move. People have also had great success using webcams.
Your next project should be getting a shot of the international space station
2019-6-7
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-7 14:21
I would say that is as good as I would expect to get with a DSLR and a 500mm lens on an APS-C body. I'm surprised you even managed this, It couldn't have been easy.
My suggestion would be to build a collar to hold the Osmo Pocket in place and keep it in APV mode. Even that could be a problem if your telescope is motorised as the gimbal may still move. People have also had great success using webcams.
Your next project should be getting a shot of the international space station

I'm thinking along the lines of your suggestion, with some sort of collar around the eyepiece. When I tried to shoot this image, I did have to use the FPV mode. Pretty much impossible otherwise.
Hah! Yeah, shooting the ISS sounds like a proper challenge!
2019-6-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

CasualDronePilot Posted at 6-7 15:22
I'm thinking along the lines of your suggestion, with some sort of collar around the eyepiece. When I tried to shoot this image, I did have to use the FPV mode. Pretty much impossible otherwise.
Hah! Yeah, shooting the ISS sounds like a proper challenge!

In all seriousness, it may be an idea to add an external power supply as well. Working at night with possible temperature drops or forgetting how long you are watching for may make the Pocket go into storage mode as the battery level drops and you don't want the gimbal moving that close to an eyepiece.
2019-6-7
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-7 15:30
In all seriousness, it may be an idea to add an external power supply as well. Working at night with possible temperature drops or forgetting how long you are watching for may make the Pocket go into storage mode as the battery level drops and you don't want the gimbal moving that close to an eyepiece.

Good idea! I've got a couple of powerbanks that might come in handy. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that all my telescopes are of the manual kind, not motorized tracking what so ever!
2019-6-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

CasualDronePilot Posted at 6-7 15:33
Good idea! I've got a couple of powerbanks that might come in handy. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that all my telescopes are of the manual kind, not motorized tracking what so ever!

In that case, the moon passes by quite quickly Even more impressed as the Osmo's shutter speed at night isn't the fastest on the block.
Good luck with future endeavors.
2019-6-7
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

Very nice capture
2019-6-8
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great, nice shot
2019-6-8
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent capture
2019-6-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

CasualDronePilot Posted at 6-7 13:49
Thanks for your reply, glad you liked it. I'm already trying to figure out how to improve this kind of photography with the Osmo Pocket and a telescope.

You are very much welcome CasualDronePilot. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-6-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great shot
2019-6-9
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Thank you.
2019-6-9
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Thanks. It was really fun to try this with the OP.
2019-6-9
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

AJC-W Posted at 6-8 07:51
Excellent capture

Thanks. More attempts with better planning will follow soon.
2019-6-9
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Thank you!
2019-6-9
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CasualDronePilot Posted at 6-9 11:15
Thanks. More attempts with better planning will follow soon.

Look forward to seeing your work
2019-6-9
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Malaysia

You're welcome
2019-6-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

You're welcome buddy
2019-6-10
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

CasualDronePilot Posted at 6-9 11:13
Thanks. It was really fun to try this with the OP.

You're welcome
2019-6-15
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

That's really a impressive shot.
2019-7-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hard to imagine OP can deliver this kind of low light performance!
Great job
2019-7-9
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Panda Posted at 7-9 03:00
That's really a impressive shot.

Thanks! It came out better than I thought it would and I will continue to experiment with this kind of photography for sure.
2019-7-10
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 7-9 09:48
Hard to imagine OP can deliver this kind of low light performance!
Great job

It surprised me as well. Becoming more and more impressed by the OP the more I use it.
2019-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CasualDronePilot Posted at 7-10 00:04
It surprised me as well. Becoming more and more impressed by the OP the more I use it.

I can imagine!
2019-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules