Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI Guys

Just been on holiday to Miami South beach (which was awesome) was looking to get some nice early morning footage over South beach before everyone filled the beach, only to find I was grounded by the controller! It stated NFZ Limit!

Ive never seen this before! I guess its the software locking me out as there is a heliport nearby however when I checked the GEO map it says stay under 400ft, which I would do anyway.

Its on the latest firmware and fully up to date

Whats even more annoying is that I saw others flying over the beach during the busier periods and they obviously were not grounded! When I returned to the hotel which is sitll under the same heliport zone the NFZ Limit is not on the controller, just when Im down on the beach!

I could not see any way to either self certify the unlock zone (this thorugh the app (I have done this a few times at home)

This has really p***** me off as there were some beautiful shots to be had (washed up coconuts lapping the shores! etc... )

Tried twice on different days! not TFR's in place, Also no notams or areila activity (I have flown real helicopters along this beach and would always give way to manned craft!

Any ideas? It was pointless me taking my M2P and also being caught by the dreaded SSSS extra security checks on the my flight out!

Thanks DJI (Im all for safety and completely agree with the GEO fencing solution but maybe in stead of grounding an aircraft outright maybe you should restrict capability  in line the local airspace rules such as height is restricted, range etc... but this would still at least allow a user to operate in a safe manor with the exception of maybe major airfields.

2019-6-8
Use props
fans054b2a7b
New

Ecuador

Same issue here. I upgraded my drone and everything is falling apart. I can’t fly and I live away from the airport. It seems the restricted area is oversized cause it looks the airport restriction is covering almost all my town. Check out my screen shots
2019-6-20
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah same thing happened to me when I visited Puerto Rico. I went to about 5 different locations in the Sj area and nothing. Total RED NFZ. I had to drive about an hr away and then able to fly. DJI is really ramping up a lot of areas to NFZ. There was once a time where you were able to pass the screen by checking off that you would be responsible however that seems to have gone by the waste side.

Oh well, luckily I have another drone that doesn't have any GEO fencing.. LOL  
2019-6-20
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The strange thing is I live close to a medium sized airfield in the UK and can still fly! No I cant fly any higher than 400ft anyway, but what was really strange here is that the lock was on the controller and nowhere to be seen on the app!

Also the helipad which I assume was the issue maybe has the guidlines on the geo fencing map to stay under 400ft so I should have been able to take off! I fly the real Helis and in the US they normally fly above 500ft so not sure where the issue came from.

Ive flown in the caribbean in exactly the same situation with no issue! same drone too, I normally check the geo map just in case and because it said stay under 400ft I thought Id be ok, I agree with safety 100% but perhaps this is a little bit of a glitch I mean I should have been able to fly but maybe with a limited ceiling! Also there were TFRs so it looks like i just got shafted!
2019-6-20
Use props
ichigo01
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254833 ft
United States

a question that place exactly of the south beach happened to you that I live here in miami and in miami beach it does not happen to me that if it can happen in kay byscane since it is a national park
2019-6-20
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We stayed at The Plymouth next to Collins Park so I walked down to the beach on 21st street around 0645 as they its nice a clear and the controller said no! But back at the hotel no issue! and we are talking maybe 400 meter max!

2019-6-20
Use props
ichigo01
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254833 ft
United States

Schmooit Posted at 6-20 23:32
We stayed at The Plymouth next to Collins Park so I walked down to the beach on 21st street around 0645 as they its nice a clear and the controller said no! But back at the hotel no issue! and we are talking maybe 400 meter max!

near the park this is a school but I do not think that was why another cause could be that there was an event that day in that area
2019-6-21
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nothing that I could see no notams or anything  or TFRs what was really annoying is that I saw 2 people flying drones from the carpark or the apartments  during the day ! Still I will be going back  so me footage will have to wait I guess . I was going to see if I could do a hyperlapse  down the beach!
2019-6-22
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Yes.  I get this too.  I'm never in an NFZ but the controller indicates "NFZ Limit".  VERY ANNOYING DJI!!  Most often I have to wait for the warning to clear and/or restart my Mavic a few times until it goes away.  
2019-6-25
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

I'm fed up with it too. There are many ways I could fly here at home without ever interfering with aircraft or restricted airspace -- for instance, staying just a few feet above the ground, or flying among trees down in the canyon, etc. But DJI has decided not to allow me to do that. So now I'm seriously looking into other brands. I hear the Anofi Parrot shoots good 4k video and doesn't have the idiotic NFZ restrictions.
2019-6-25
Use props
MavSpa_user
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

https://github.com/brett8883/DJI_Super-Patcher
I found this a great solution......
2019-6-26
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My gripe is  letting me know why im grounded ! at least it gives me some closure! that said  Im not sure where I was I should have been grounded!

Can DJI comment perhaps? Id like to know the difference in controller related NFZ and app related flyzones? Which one is is guys What is governing my flights please? Its a simple question and if I were to be using the Mavic  Pro for work  related activity, who covers the cost of my upset customers? and my reputation?
2019-6-26
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MavSpa_user Posted at 6-26 06:15
https://github.com/brett8883/DJI_Super-Patcher
I found this a great solution......

but its only for the first Mavic
2019-6-28