12Next >
6219 62 2019-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vogglz
lvl.1
Netherlands

Dear DJI-team and forum members,
is there a centralized page or section where users can add suggestions for (Osmo Action) firmware improvements? I have been testing the camera for a few weeks now, and have some feedback. Obviously you cannot fulfil all, but properly organized user feedback is key for an effective improvement strategy imho.

So for lack of a better place to post these, here goes:

1) Please save/remember state of Dewarp powering on/off as well as in Custom user settings. It does not make sense currently, all other settings seem to retain just fine.

2) Low Sound settings are really not low. I can hear a difference in high/low, but barely a difference in high/medium. Please increase the spread between the settings, where low is actually near-silent and soft to the ear. This is very useful in low-noise environments where you don't want everyone turning their head because you just started recording something. Please consider your camera is not just used in high-action environments.

3) Rocksteady performs quite awesome, but the cropping percentage is very high. Please consider adding a 'Steady' setting where stabilization is less good than Rocksteady, but allows for a lesser amount of cropping.

4) Please consider making available a standard LUT for D-Cinelike color setting for editing, or advise/support on an existing one by a third party.

Hope this helps! When can we expect a new firmware update for Osmo Action, and is there already a list of improvements anticipated for the next release(s)?

Thanks,
Frank
2019-6-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Frank. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us today. Let me please forward this information/thread to the designated DJI department. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news in our DJI official website at www.dji.com or by checking the Release Notes specific for your product. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-9
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

All good things, i have argued for a "pebblesteady" mode,,,, maybe supporting 4K/30HDR, but just less cropping would be nice, this should be fine for normal vlogging while walking and handheld pan shots.
Larger icon's in the different menus would also be nice, the big icons in the QS menu are nice and i would not mind if i had to scroll more with larger icons in other menus.

As others have also mentioned the sharpness setting to be select-able or at least dialed back a little bit

IMO image quality settings should be the main focus, and the ability for the camera to remember dewarp ON setting, IMO i would want rocksteady to be always on as well as dewarp, and then i might now and then need to turn those off, or change to the requested "pebblesteady" mode instead of the strong rocksteady.

What ever i am looking forward to see what the Dji firmware crew have for us next
2019-6-9
Use props
davesantos
lvl.2
United States

At the very least address the OVERSHARPENING!
2019-6-9
Use props
Gboing
lvl.1
Singapore

1 - Rocksteady needs to be fixed.  

2 - An off switch for wifi/bluetooth to save battery (since spares are not available yet)
2019-6-9
Use props
tester21
lvl.2
Poland

Hopefully there is no issue with out-of-sync between audio and video anymore on split points.

As for features:

Area tracking (720p cropping on 4k) - such sort of active tracking could be used with osmo pocket as well.

There is a bug with "spot metering" feature. After switching preview screens from back to front, spot metering no longer works.
2019-6-10
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Yes sharpening need to be relaxed
Fixing rocksteady ??? what do you mean  ? the LCD screen lag,,,,, if so they yes that need to be looked at for sure, but otherwise rocksteady seem to work fine for me.
Now is is as if what the LCD display show is what get stored on the memory card, need to have the display show what is seen before processing, that i assume will take care of the lag.
The preview on the LCD don't need to have rocksteady,,, just what is recorded.
wifi off,,,, YES i would like that too, it is very rare i turn wifi on with anything i have, i feel the same with wifi and my phone, every time i use either it i feel like i die a little inside,,,,,, cables and no phone FTW

Maye a select able level of HDR on that mode ? HDR -  Strong / Middle / Low

APP ability to combine the bracket photos and save / output the finished result, it otherwise seem to require additional software on PC, so not something people can just jump in and use.

Just noticed in the APP you can not change the MAX ISO value for auto mode.

2019-6-10
Use props
vogglz
lvl.1
Netherlands

The Rocksteady LAG, yes good one! I completely forgot about this in my initial post. It's highly dissappointing and very unpractical  when filming quickly changing scenes. Surely DJI can do better on this point?
2019-6-10
Use props
netmouse
lvl.2

China

Agree No. 2
2019-6-10
Use props
osmoboy
lvl.2

Italy

here my propositals

1 An off/on switch for wifi/bluetooth to save battery
2 introduce adapter typeC to 3.5 external mic or enable third parts devices
3 please fix the Rocksteady LAG! it's very annoying
4 add more languages as Italian
2019-6-10
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

vogglz Posted at 6-10 07:08
The Rocksteady LAG, yes good one! I completely forgot about this in my initial post. It's highly dissappointing and very unpractical  when filming quickly changing scenes. Surely DJI can do better on this point?

On Facebook, DJI rep said that they are working to improve RockSteady features as well as the lag.
2019-6-10
Use props
SeenMavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6142635 ft
  • >>>
Germany

They should also add an option for AE during timelapse as AE is always locked which makes the vids "flicker" if lighting changes (what happens of course during bike riding, car driving etc.).
2019-6-11
Use props
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

If the rocksteady lag is reduced that would be a huge improvement.
2019-6-11
Use props
LGstudio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 638366 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I would also like to see these features mention previously. Mainly:
- The ability to turn off in camera sharpening
- Turn on bt/wifi to save battery
- DCine like profile for time lapse
- Full Resolution JPEG only mode for time lapse (with DCine like still possible)
Thanks for your great work
2019-6-11
Use props
Old Lady Angler
lvl.3
Flight distance : 415830 ft
United States

1. How about support for wireless audio adapter.
2. Less cropping for rocksteady

Super impressed with this camera so far. Thanks DJI.
2019-6-12
Use props
treben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281916 ft
  • >>>
United States

After using the DJI Osm Action for awhile on the latest 1.03 firmware, the following are my thoughts and I hope the DJI team notices:

1. I would greatly appreciate an option to toggle so that when you use snapshot (hit the shutter button to record video from off) when you STOP your clip the camera powers back down. This would greatly help to reduce battery drain on the camera when just taking quick clips here and there when you are out and about.

2. Improve the rocksteady algorithm. Specifically, I have noticed that it can look quite laggy at times. Another issue I've noticed is that when you are panning from side to side the camera tends to lag a bit in what it's capturing and then quickly snap to where the camera is currently focusing on giving a jerky appearance. I can provide a video example if interested.

3. Hyperlapse mode. This may take more work but it would be a very welcome feature addition.

Thank you for your considerations.
2019-6-14
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

treben Posted at 6-14 17:38
After using the DJI Osm Action for awhile on the latest 1.03 firmware, the following are my thoughts and I hope the DJI team notices:

1. I would greatly appreciate an option to toggle so that when you use snapshot (hit the shutter button to record video from off) when you STOP your clip the camera powers back down. This would greatly help to reduce battery drain on the camera when just taking quick clips here and there when you are out and about.

"1. I would greatly appreciate an option to toggle so that when you use snapshot (hit the shutter button to record video from off) when you STOP your clip the camera powers back down. This would greatly help to reduce battery drain on the camera when just taking quick clips here and there when you are out and about."

As far as I can see (V01.03.00.10) the camera does power down after pushing snapshot button to stop recording. At least, none of the LEDs are illuminated.
2019-6-15
Use props
treben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281916 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-15 02:48
As far as I can see (V01.03.00.10) the camera does power down after pushing snapshot button to stop recording. At least, none of the LEDs are illuminated.

Hmm. I just tested this and my camera does not power down automatically. The screen and camera stay on until I reach the screen timeout limit that is set in the settings, then the screen shuts off but the camera is still on. Firmware is 1.03. Is there some settings I could be missing? The only thing I've seen mentioning snapshot is just the setting for what mode it should shoot in when you utilize snapshot.
2019-6-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

treben Posted at 6-15 03:45
Hmm. I just tested this and my camera does not power down automatically. The screen and camera stay on until I reach the screen timeout limit that is set in the settings, then the screen shuts off but the camera is still on. Firmware is 1.03. Is there some settings I could be missing? The only thing I've seen mentioning snapshot is just the setting for what mode it should shoot in when you utilize snapshot.

If the camera is powered off and snapshot function has been set (start video, take still). Then when camera is off and you operate the shutter button, then it powers up, starts video (or takes still photo), then when you push shutter button again (to stop video) it should power off. In 'photo' snapshot mode it powers down itself after taking photo.
The left hand power button also toggles the display on and off (one quick push). And of course, to switch off hold power button operated for slightly longer (one second or so until it displays 'shutting down' ).

This is what I see on my camera @ latest build.

2019-6-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

treben Posted at 6-15 03:45
Hmm. I just tested this and my camera does not power down automatically. The screen and camera stay on until I reach the screen timeout limit that is set in the settings, then the screen shuts off but the camera is still on. Firmware is 1.03. Is there some settings I could be missing? The only thing I've seen mentioning snapshot is just the setting for what mode it should shoot in when you utilize snapshot.

I'll have to leave this for now, what I've said so far may not apply, it looks as if my device has not updated the firmware correctly to V01.03.00.10:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1886396
2019-6-15
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-15 04:59
If the camera is powered off and snapshot function has been set (start video, take still). Then when camera is off and you operate the shutter button, then it powers up, starts video (or takes still photo), then when you push shutter button again (to stop video) it should power off. In 'photo' snapshot mode it powers down itself after taking photo.
The left hand power button also toggles the display on and off (one quick push). And of course, to switch off hold power button operated for slightly longer (one second or so until it displays 'shutting down' ).

I just tried.  While it did power on the camera and start the video, when I pressed the "shutter" button again, to end the video, it did stop but did not power off.
2019-6-15
Use props
HDRushmore
lvl.2
Brunei

Options to reduce the Sharpening. Low , medium , high
2019-6-15
Use props
stefg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just got the Osmo Action and the GP Hero 7. Osmo is much nicer to use. But

- there is the need for an option to  decrease Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation
-  more efficient file compression. I can put 50% more footage on the same size card with Hero 7.  40 min vs 60 min of 2.7K 60 fps on a 32 GB card, DJI files are too large.
- battery saving mode to extend battery life when Osmo is in the diving housing with wifi / bluetooth off

I like the usability of the Osmo better than the GP, but the Hero has some practical advantages. I am torn.
2019-12-4
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

stefg Posted at 12-4 12:32
I just got the Osmo Action and the GP Hero 7. Osmo is much nicer to use. But

- there is the need for an option to  decrease Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation

I agree with most of this, I’m comparing the osmo with the gp8.  Protune on GoPro is a real plus to maximise the image and there is very little to adjust on the action.

The GoPro image has a lot more detail at the same resolution and stabilisation is slightly better but the colours take grading to look ok.
The osmo image has less detail but is much more natural and colours much better.
The osmo is much nicer to use and a more polished product.
2019-12-4
Use props
stefg
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MKosmo Posted at 12-4 13:41
I agree with most of this, I’m comparing the osmo with the gp8.  Protune on GoPro is a real plus to maximise the image and there is very little to adjust on the action.

The GoPro image has a lot more detail at the same resolution and stabilisation is slightly better but the colours take grading to look ok.

I looked at a lot of YouTube tests and I like the Osmo colors way better, GP have a bluish tint.

I would like an option to have smaller file sizes at 60fps even if there is a little less quality, Or use h.265.
If I go on a dive I can not change cards until I rinse and dry the housing.
At the end pleasing colors matter more than a little less detail and more compression.

Having a smaller size file for me is an important option. There is no need for the files to be 50% larger than GP H7 at the same resolution and fps.

The GP H7 screen is unresponsive, harder to use. The Osmo Action is really nice and intuitive, but some options are missing. I have until the end of January to decide which one to keep.

So many seem to notice the Osmo OVER SHARPENING more than a little more or less detail.  Sharpening should be lower by default.
2019-12-4
Use props
stefpix
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I tried the Osmo Action in the water in NY. I am really happy with the video quality and ease of use.
I like that I can change quick settings on the fly while in the ocean wearing gloves.
One issue is that the TEXT in the quick settings is too SMALL. If I am wearing a mask and gloves in choppy ocean water with the Osmo in a housing it should be easier to see whether I select a mode with 60 FPS or 30FPS, 1080p or 2.7K. I wish the text of the custom quick settings would be larger. Is that possible to do via a firmware?
Quick settings are probably very useful in the more extreme shooting situations, so clear legibility should be paramount.

Here is a sample (only the footage in the ocean is with the Osmo Action). I like the usability better than the GoPro, yet there is room for improvement.

https://youtu.be/jNyejwmYBiM
2019-12-30
Use props
Canonian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37740 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI give us in 2020;

1. more FOV
2. options for Sharpening, Contrast, Saturation

2020-1-1
Use props
Robert2345
lvl.2
Pakistan

thanks for sharing
2020-1-1
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Over time its a new DJI Osmo Action II.   
2020-1-1
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi, what would be really great is optionally lower bit rates for smaller file size, right now the OSMO action bit rates even at 1080p are to high for a lot of situations.  Especially where you need to record for a long time.  Just saying.
2020-1-2
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 1-2 14:02
Hi, what would be really great is optionally lower bit rates for smaller file size, right now the OSMO action bit rates even at 1080p are to high for a lot of situations.  Especially where you need to record for a long time.  Just saying.

Ability to record from the external mic adapter in stereo would be nice as well.
Also PLEASE add support for a Bluetooth or wifi remote control.  
I would completely switch from GoPro if you get a Remote Control and allow for lower bit rates so the files
are not so HUGE.
2020-1-2
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

snorkel Posted at 1-2 14:09
Ability to record from the external mic adapter in stereo would be nice as well.
Also PLEASE add support for a Bluetooth or wifi remote control.  
I would completely switch from GoPro if you get a Remote Control and allow for lower bit rates so the files

Yes, i agree.
Doesn't matter which settings you record, every file is just horribly big.

Maybe the other codec would also be an option (.h265 or however it is called).
2020-1-3
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Auto Power Off option is missing the "Never" option.   If and when a remote control comes along the "never" option will be badly needed.  Can't have the cameral powering off by itself when mounted on the back of a Kayak :-)
2020-1-6
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

Bring back the old version of rocksteady. The current one is garbage and has me about ready to buy a GoPro.
2020-1-12
Use props
Maurice M
lvl.2
United States

Interceptor_Alpha Posted at 1-12 07:15
Bring back the old version of rocksteady. The current one is garbage and has me about ready to buy a GoPro.

Agree. Please bring back the old rocksteady!
2020-1-12
Use props
trollbiker
lvl.1
Norway

Audiorecording is way to high when recording from an external mic with the Cynova adapter...should be a setting where it can be lowered.
2020-1-13
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

Not sure you can access the audio adapter via the camera, and also not sure if you can do something about the audio level while it is still inside the camera.

I have not used my camera for a while so i have no idea how RS work now, but i have always requested a less RS version that just handle ordinary handheld situations ( i don't think people run and vlog, if they do they should probably use a gimbal anyway )
But by my request for this since day #1 i meant beside the very strong RS, this is also why i always called it Pebble Steady, so you could use PS for not that violent recording, and then RS for the really hardcore action.
So the guys getting some airtime on their dirtbike could use RS, and the guy just walking down the street doing video suicide ( my name for vlogging ) or just casual film something with the camera handheld could use PS as there should not be a need for the strong RS.
Other than this, you can never please everyone, especially in today's world where pretty much all of us think the world just revolve around us and our need.
PS. i am getting a gimbal no matter what, it will be fine for the kind of use i have, ( which are not video suicide or ACTION that impact the camera itself, the action i do are in front of the camera )

I am getting old and soft there are now 3 pictures of me on the internet and as far as i know 1 video.
2020-1-13
Use props
timoat
lvl.1

Sweden

As everyone and every review mentions, the OVERSHARPENING. Im amazed this isnt first on the list of updates, since its the one thing that every reviewer brings up as a negative. It must really hurt your sales.
2020-1-18
Use props
timoat
lvl.1

Sweden

Interceptor_Alpha Posted at 1-12 07:15
Bring back the old version of rocksteady. The current one is garbage and has me about ready to buy a GoPro.

what has changed?
2020-1-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

So DJI when  will  the change happen, today, tomoorow next year came.  Lol
2020-1-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now