Be careful flying under surfaces
620 10 2019-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Be careful flying under a surface. If you get close to a surface above the drone, you'll get sucked up to it.

I'm not an aeronauticle engineer, but I think it happens with the surface blocks the rotor's vortex, vastly increasing the rotor's efficiency. Rather the opposite of ground effect.

Then Phoebe got the tip of one propeller stuck in a crack in the surface, and had to dangle there in a rather visible place, in early evening, with her lights blinking "help! help! help!" till I found a ladder big enough to reach her. When I returned with the ladder, a family was there wondering "how did that get up there?" They were a drone family and have a Mavic Pro.

To the family, You have permission to mock me for a while

The barefoot guy with the ladder.
Tentoes
2019-6-10
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Did it end well eventually?
2019-6-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this pre-caution when flying the drone. We're recommending our customers flying the drone in an open area and avoid any possible interferences to prevent the incident. In addition, kindly abid to our rules and regulation when using the drone and maintain the VLOS to monitor the drone. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-10
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I can just picture the spark dangling from some place your ladder could not reach! Fetch the fire dept! Please get my kitty out of the tree sort of thing
2019-6-10
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

Fortunately, I was able to lay my hands on a tall stepladder.
2019-6-10
Use props
Warriewoodlad
Second Officer
Flight distance : 625230 ft
Australia

I started with a tiny very basic inside drone and that regularly got "stuck" to the ceiling. When I reduced the throttle it would become "unstuck" and fall on the floor. More throttle would see it off the floor and back on the ceiling. I still have it and occasionally my grand daughters will try  it for a few ceiling/floor cycles. The walls weren't safe either.  

2019-6-10
Use props
Endeavor24
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291519 ft
United States

Good to hear you got it back safe and sound.
2019-6-10
Use props
CasualDronePilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Ouch! I hope Phoebe will be able to fly soon again. I've done a similar thing with a cheap toy drone while flying it in the house a while back. Looked kind of funny when got stuck to the ceiling (fell down as soon as I let go of the throttle and it didn't get broken).
2019-6-11
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
United States

She's fine, though I might change that propeller.
2019-6-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the warning!
2019-6-11
Use props
AJC-W
Captain