Smart Controller and Mac OS
10263 11 2019-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockfax
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373058 ft
United Kingdom

I am having a series of problems trying to connect my DJI Smart Controller to the DJI Assistant App on my iMac Pro.

When I connect the device it gives me three options - charge, transfer files, or transfer photos. Before I can select an option a charging warning appears which blocks my selection until I dismiss it, however it is often unresponsive to being dismissed. Before I dismiss this option the device usually appears in the DJI Assistant window.
Once I have dismissed the charging warning, if I select either of the bottom two options then the device disappears from the Assistant window. If I leave it on the top option, then the device stays visible in the Assistant app but it only gives me the option to update the firmware, not access the flight data of other files.

Has anyone had any success in connecting their smart controller to their Mac OS computer?

DJI Support have been very unhelpful with this issue. After three weeks of them ignoring my detailed emails from me illustrating the problem, and trivial replies from DJI support where they obviously hadn't even read my emails, I finally got the reply below today (unedited):

We would like to inform that, we got feedback from our Engineers about your concern, with this, please be advised that the Mac OS doesn't compatible with Android device well. Normally, users can not transfer files between Mac and Android device. So if you choose the options that for transferring files, the Mac will going to not recognize the controller.

So basically their response is "yes, the problem you described, is a problem. Thanks and have a nice day".

2019-6-12
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting info - thanks for sharing
2019-6-12
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I will try to do it and let you know if I succeeded.
2019-6-12
Use props
1Smooth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8245 ft
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 6-12 14:46
I will try to do it and let you know if I succeeded.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and I can connect to the controller with it.  After the charge warning, I selected the last option that comes up on the controller, press OK and it comes up in the application on my Mac. Once or twice I did have to unplug and reconnect it,  but I have been able to update the controller with my Mac.
2019-6-12
Use props
Rockfax
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373058 ft
United Kingdom

1Smooth Posted at 6-12 21:46
I have a 2018 MacBook Pro and I can connect to the controller with it.  After the charge warning, I selected the last option that comes up on the controller, press OK and it comes up in the application on my Mac. Once or twice I did have to unplug and reconnect it,  but I have been able to update the controller with my Mac.

Thanks.

I managed to update the firmware since the top option does seem to connect (sometimes). It is the bottom two options that I haven't had success with - so transferring log files or photos from the device basically. Were you successful with this?
2019-6-13
Use props
fansf0edb0a0
New

Brazil

I install the Android File Transfer for Mac and work.
2019-7-27
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, just tried, works no problem, you don’t have to select any options, power it up, once it’s running, open the Assistant and then connect the SC to the usb, after a few seconds it will connect.
I use the USB-C to USB-A adapter and the original DJI to USB-C cable as I have found other USB-C to USB-C cables don't always work.
2019-8-5
Use props
TachLock
lvl.2

I am baffled.  I am also unable to connect.  I had an intermittent problem with the SC not connecting to the camera and contacted tech support chat.   They asked me to connect to my iMac.  Tried to and it failed.  My previous controller connected just fine.   When it wouldn't connect, they told me I would have to send the controller in for analysis.  I chose to simply return the entire kit to B&H and order a new one since I use this for business and didn't want to wait.  New one arrives and as you would guess - it doesn't connect either.  So they had me send back what was likely a perfectly good unit.  Poor communications and training are wasting a lot of time and money.
2019-9-13
Use props
Fsong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6794646 ft
  • >>>
Canada

TachLock Posted at 9-13 11:43
I am baffled.  I am also unable to connect.  I had an intermittent problem with the SC not connecting to the camera and contacted tech support chat.   They asked me to connect to my iMac.  Tried to and it failed.  My previous controller connected just fine.   When it wouldn't connect, they told me I would have to send the controller in for analysis.  I chose to simply return the entire kit to B&H and order a new one since I use this for business and didn't want to wait.  New one arrives and as you would guess - it doesn't connect either.  So they had me send back what was likely a perfectly good unit.  Poor communications and training are wasting a lot of time and money.

I have tried on my 2014 Mac and 2018 Mac, one High Serria and one the latest. In my case, I have to select the second option in order to connect. Hope this helps. No other tricks.
2019-12-29
Use props
djiuser_czyIMo2TQ4Dk
New

United States

I am having the exact same problem. Smart Controller version is V01.00.0590, and the Mac OS X is System Version: macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)
2019-12-31
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

switch USB debugging mode on and assistant will see te SC

edit:

and yes, all macs with USB-C only need the apple USB-C to USB-A adapter,
or an selfpowered thunderbolt hub (i use the caldigit TB3+)

2020-1-16
Use props
fans37063212
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the solution: after trying all day with a USB-C cable I used a USB-A to C with adapter and voila - it connected!
2020-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules