Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Banding/Flickering Problem in 4K 60FPS
14497 27 2019-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SofKci
lvl.1
France

Hi

I've just bought the DJI Osmo action and I've got some HUGE flickering/banding problems. It happens with 4K60fps and rocksteady ON

Does anyone has encountered this problem ?

Thanks

2019-6-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try going into settings and set your anti flicker to 50Hz, what you're seeing there is a 'strobe' effect which is produced when mains lighting is used.

Of course it might not resolve if you're recording at 60 fps and lights are at 50 Hz.
2019-6-12
Use props
HDRushmore
lvl.2
Brunei

Yes same issue...
2019-6-12
Use props
ThatUKBloke
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yeah its to do with the hertz being different to camera settings, you can either adjust antiflicker, or adjust your recording frames, this isn't a new thing
2019-6-12
Use props
SofKci
lvl.1
France

I've tried all combinations possible and I still have some flickering
2019-6-18
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SofKci Posted at 6-18 02:17
I've tried all combinations possible and I still have some flickering

Best pick a different location for recording video, you will likely see this with any camera. Or change your lighting to D.C.
2019-6-18
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you select the lower frame rate 30/25/24 the flickering more or less stops
2019-6-18
Use props
Wiz33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some of the newer LED replacement bulb operate at a much higher frequency than the normal 50/60hz and there's nothing you can do about it.
2019-6-18
Use props
Gsbcn
lvl.1

Spain

It seems that this happens only with the osmo action as with my Panasonic g80 set in 60fps i do not have any flickering issue when filming the same location with same light condition
2019-6-22
Use props
Gsbcn
lvl.1

Spain

I do not agree. It seems it is a osmo action issue as i filmed the same shot with my panasoni g80 set in 60 fps and no flickering issue
2019-6-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

60fps = bad for EU artificial lighting.
The el frequency is interfering!
Use 50fps if possible!
Or a longer shutterspeed
2019-6-24
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

The crazy flicker under artficial light is a rocksteady issue, I am pretty sure; and I believe it has got something to do with the algorithm. Even if you set the "anti-flicker" to 50Hz manually, rocksteady ruins it. Turn RS off, and you are ok. I also tested Osmo Action side by side with Osmo Pocket, and had no problems with the pocket.

PS: If I stop moving the OA, the flicker ceases eventually, I guess it is only there when rocksteady is doing it's thing
2019-7-6
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3

OK, so I noticed on a recent indoor shoot that I was experiencing major flickering. I tried all of the anti-flicker settings and none of them resolved the issue. It ruined a several-hours long shoot.

Come to this week and I got the chance to do a shoot in a pro studio with set lights (confirmed to be at 50Hz) so decided to test the anti-flicker based on everyone's comments in this thread. Lo and behold, the anti-flicker did not resolve. I tried auto, 50Hz and 60Hz settings in the anti-flicker menu, and all of those settings at different frame rates and none resolved the issue. Here are some samples:

Note that Rocksteady was turned OFF. I also tried three different memory cards (I only use the recommended SanDisk Extreme U3 cards, but have several of them in different sizes) just to rule out any possible issue in transfer speeds there.
I only shoot in 4K generally, so that's the only resolution I used. Osmo Action is running the latest recent firmware.

So... any other ideas?

2019-10-16
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Anyone else experiencing this?
2019-10-27
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Another bump to see if there is any official response forthcoming?

2019-11-15
Use props
peiter
lvl.4
Denmark

I have at times seen flickering too with other cameras, and no matter what setting in the camera you choose you can not make it go away.
I think there are some mainly LED stuff sold with some issues to it.

If you get this in the daytime it would be really bad, but of course you also want to be able to film using artificial light.
2019-11-15
Use props
DeeJayOne
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks,

My point is that there is an ‘anti-flicker’ setting in the camera to help offset the flickering that doesn’t seem to work. As explained, this has happened in many locations and no matter the setting chosen the flickering occurred.

In the examples above you’ll see I was in a professional studio that regularly films with many different cameras - the lighting in there is all at 50hz, and the 50hz setting didn’t help (neither did any of the other settings).

For reference we also shot using DSLRs, GoPro, iPhone, a cheap action camera and Compact cameras on the same day at the same time and NONE featured flickering like the Osmo Action did.
2019-11-15
Use props
V2 Fun Learning
lvl.1
Malaysia

Try set the Shutter Speed to 1/100. It solves my flickering issue.
2019-11-19
Use props
yuyuchanchen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73366 ft
Canada

same problem here
2019-11-25
Use props
vanyo
New

Hungary

Same issue here. Turning off rock steady resolves the problem. But I'm not intended to keep it off...
2019-12-12
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Something DJI needed to correct  via firmware not us manually doing so.   Yes it is about 50/60hz as well as 120 plus hz .  a old light bulb and its doing  it, while   my other camera perfect.    I say DJI must correct.

Neon signs, led head lamps all common today that I can  deal with not an old light bulb.

220vac  high powered or low powered  flourencents or 24vdc 48vdc . not going into great detail... dji needs to  correct in firmware not us.
2019-12-12
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
South Africa

Hey @DJI,

This has already been reported many months ago yet there's no fix released unless RS turned off.

It's very easy to replicate the issue. Set to 50hz without RS there's no fickering. Turn on RS immediately the video is useless for any FPS 24-60.
2020-3-15
Use props
djiuser_2MPYP1hwqVnj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8737 ft
Hungary

Set the shutter 1/100
2020-7-1
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The flickering occur when shooting with too high framrate, all cameras have it.
1/24 will solve it
2020-9-4
Use props
rajanrawat
New

India

Setting the Anti Flickering to 50Hz worked for me. However this would not work with Rocksteady mode. I realized that with the RS mode on, The flickering was still there. I just changed the FPS to 50 and it worked, but for all other FPS settings, the flickering did not go.
2020-11-23
Use props
rajanrawat
New

India

Setting the Anti Flickering to 50Hz worked for me. However this would not work with Rocksteady mode. I realized that with the RS mode on, The flickering was still there. I just changed the FPS to 50 and it worked, but for all other FPS settings, the flickering did not go.
2020-11-23
Use props
AlisaJ21
lvl.2

India

rajanrawat Posted at 2020-11-23 04:47
Setting the Anti Flickering to 50Hz worked for me. However this would not work with Rocksteady mode. I realized that with the RS mode on, The flickering was still there. I just changed the FPS to 50 and it worked, but for all other FPS settings, the flickering did not go.

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by flickering or blinking iPhone camera in indoor lights can be caused by several factors. Here are some steps you can try to fix it:-
1. Adjust lighting:- Change the type of light source you're using. Fluorescent lights are notorious for causing flickering issues. Try moving to incandescent or LED lighting.
2. Clean the lens:- Make sure the camera lens is clean and free of any smudges or debris. Use a soft, dry microfiber cloth to wipe it gently.
3. Restart your iPhone:- Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary glitches. Hold down the side button and either volume button until the power-off slider appears. Slide the slider to power off, then wait a few seconds before pressing and holding the side button again to power it back on.
4. Disable Macro mode:- If your iPhone has Macro mode, try turning it off. Go to Settings > Camera > Macro Control and toggle it off.
5. Lock camera focus:- Tap and hold on the subject you want to focus on in the Camera app. This may help to stabilize the image and reduce flickering.
Follow below for more assistance.

2-19 02:42
Use props
lutzmix
lvl.4
Germany

LEDlights are the Problem
100Hz up to 400  
not 50 or 60Hz with old light bulbs
2-19 22:07
Use props
Advanced