battery died whiles i was recording
2402 21 2019-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
2pixl
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi
battery died while I was recording and I recorded about 30min or more when I went home I tried to check my sd card and found only 15min of my recording.
2019-6-13
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

If you did not stop the recording, your video should be saved in approx 4gig intervals.  Now, shooting at 30fps for me has generally meant about 5/6 minute segments.  

Now if recording did not end gracefully, it is possible that the camera never formally closed the last segment or the segment it was filming when the battery failed and it may be lost.  It might be possible that a file recovery utility could recover a portion of that last video.

2019-6-13
Use props
2pixl
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-13 13:29
If you did not stop the recording, your video should be saved in approx 4gig intervals.  Now, shooting at 30fps for me has generally meant about 5/6 minute segments.  

hmm how come it's like that I was using GoPro and I use to leave the camera recording till the battery dies and it will save whatever I recorded nothing gets lost
2019-6-13
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

2pixl Posted at 6-13 13:41
hmm how come it's like that I was using GoPro and I use to leave the camera recording till the battery dies and it will save whatever I recorded nothing gets lost

Actually, I don't actually KNOW if that is what happened.  I'm only guessing.  Maybe one of the Mods will have a clue.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I would assume that there is a power buffer in capacitors in case the battery go flat, i will try and make a recording, and then eject the battery while i do that, this should simulate a fast collapsing battery.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Well that was a bad idea, my 64 GB transcend ultimate memory card are now dead, i can format in camera, and it look to be recording, but when i put memory card in card reader i just get a error MSG on the screen.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

well the plot thickens, either my camera have turned into a memory card killing machine or something is wrong with my camera now, put in a 63GB kingston U3 card, formatted it in camera ( success )
But also that memoru card can not be read on my computer now ( it could before i put it in the camera )

I will now try to reset camera to default

2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

The error MSG i get on the screen when i insert the memory card is "the folder name is invalid", i am not able to enter the memory card or format it on the computer.

I will not try to reload the firmware as that is about all i can think of now that can get my camera back to working order.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Okay the plot thickens.
If i reboot my computer with a memoru card that have been in the camera and recorded on, then i can see the memory card and play video + format the memory card.
If i then eject the memory card from my card reader, put it in the camera record a little more, and then put the memory card in the card reader i again get the " the folder name are invalid" error MSG.
SO i can again reboot the computer with the memory card in the reader, and then i can read the memory card again and format it too, this is really strange and the same if i put the memory card in the micro SD slot in the reader, or use a SD adapter and put the card in the regular SD card slot.
I don't have another reader so i can not try that, but my card reader and computer and camera & memory cards worked just fine until i ejected the battery while recording, so don't try that
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Okay a reload of the firmware seem to have ironed out the bugs, and everything seem to be back to normal.
But i panicked and forgot to see if the camera saved the recording that was going when i ejected the battery but right now after being awake for 22 hours and not able to fall asleep i don't feel so brave.
2019-6-13
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

peiter Posted at 6-13 20:24
Okay a reload of the firmware seem to have ironed out the bugs, and everything seem to be back to normal.
But i panicked and forgot to see if the camera saved the recording that was going when i ejected the battery  but right now after being awake for 22 hours and not able to fall asleep i don't feel so brave.

I thought a Mod said that we could not reload the firmware?  How did you do it?
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Indeed the camera said squat about loading firmware as it did when i first updated putting the ,bin file on the memory card.
And i was also not able to roll back to the older firmware the same way.
So i really have no idea what happened,  i tried factory resets several times, and that did not help at all, but after i tried to flash the firmware it suddenly worked again and i can record and open & play my footage with the memory card in the card reader.
I wonder what one can then do if it really go sour, cuz on older AMBA hardware you had to load a firmware again using a .elf file and a piece of software on the computer ( USB direct )
I know this cuz i have messed with AMBA based cameras since the A2 SOC
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

O after the attempt to update to the same firmware as was on the camera ( latest one ) then on the memory card there was a text doku saying successful, just like there was when i updated the firmware a few days ago using my phone.
So i am a little confused cuz there was no text on the LCD or flashing LEDs, you normally get when a firmware update,,,, so really i have no idea, i just know i tried several things and factory resets and memory cards, and everything was just weird as described above and my memory cards and card reader was just a mess.
But after the attempt of FW update everything was back to normal,,,,,, though i had to do the wifi thing again with my phone, but i assume that was due to the factory resets.
2019-6-13
Use props
2pixl
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Still doing the same thing I charged my battery full and started recording till the battery dies and I checked my sd card I found only 15min of my recordings ANY HELP
2019-6-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2pixl Posted at 6-14 08:48
Still doing the same thing I charged my battery full and started recording till the battery dies and I checked my sd card I found only 15min of my recordings ANY HELP

Is your camera on latest firmware V01.03.00.10 ?

I certainly get a battery low warning on screen when the battery gets to 10%.

What resolution and frame rate are you using, and what size memory card ?

2019-6-14
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

have you tested your memory card ? there are fakes around, which will be like a 4 GB card made to appear to be a 32 Gb card ASO.
What memory card is it ? where did you get it from ??

You can test the memory card with the little tool called H2testw.

you could also just try to copy stuff to the memory card, if its a 64GB card which i would say is minimum you want for the osmo action, then you should be able to copy some large folder on your computer to the memory card.
2019-6-14
Use props
2pixl
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 6-14 09:38
Is your camera on latest firmware V01.03.00.10 ?

I certainly get a battery low warning on screen when the battery gets to 10%.

it has the latest firmware I'm sure it will show on the screen that it has 10% but I don't want to keep watch the screen sometimes I leave it recording till the battery die my memory card is 64GB also I was shooting in 1080 24fps
2019-6-14
Use props
2pixl
lvl.1
United Kingdom

peiter Posted at 6-14 09:44
have you tested your memory card ? there are fakes around, which will be like a 4 GB card made to appear to be a 32 Gb card ASO.
What memory card is it ? where did you get it from ??

memory card working fine and it's 64GB I have it for a long time
2019-6-14
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2pixl Posted at 6-14 10:34
it has the latest firmware I'm sure it will show on the screen that it has 10% but I don't want to keep watch the screen sometimes I leave it recording till the battery die my memory card is 64GB also I was shooting in 1080 24fps

My battery ran flat this morning when I was recording in 4k @ 30 fps, stabilisation on. Battery had been 'about' 75% full when recording started. It then shut down after 39 minutes and ten seconds.
On checking my total of nine files, each of the 7 4GB files was 5 minutes 26 seconds, also another which I had manually stopped was 46 seconds, and more importantly the last was 22 seconds.
So my camera must have closed and saved that last 22 second file just as battery went flat. The battery showed a nominal 1% when I plugged into PC USB port to check files.

You may have a faulty unit if the battery and memory card are both good.

Make sure the battery is fully inserted and both locks fully operated.
2019-6-15
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

A heads up on this, or rather the error my win 10 computer coughed up, it seem like what i experienced are not a unknown windows 10 ting.
But the funny thing is i updated my windows 2-3 days ago, and since then i have had the memory card of the osmo action in and out of my card reader with no problems, so it is still strange to me at least that my experiment with ejecting the battery of the OA suddenly trigger those error messages about invalid directory name.

Still probably a windows 10 thing, and i have found some avenues of action to use to try and fix the problem.

PS. the problem are still there as i just put the memory card from my phone into the card reader, and i am pretty sure a OA camera can not put memory card reader killer files on a memory card, so totally chalking this up to the boys at Microsoft.
2019-6-15
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

peiter Posted at 6-15 07:18
A heads up on this, or rather the error my win 10 computer coughed up, it seem like what i experienced are not a unknown windows 10 ting.
But the funny thing is i updated my windows 2-3 days ago, and since then i have had the memory card of the osmo action in and out of my card reader with no problems, so it is still strange to me at least that my experiment with ejecting the battery of the OA suddenly trigger those error messages about invalid directory name.

I am entirely guessiing!!!  But I think that almost anytime you interrupt the write cycle or potentially interrupt the write cycle you might lose data as the file is not formally or appropriately closed.  There might be an internal buffer that has not yet been written to disk, the folder/directory/file info has not be correctly entered.  

While you would hope that when the battery dies, the camera handles it gracefully by writing with its low power, pulling the battery like you did certainly can lead to issues although you'd hope it does not permanently kill the card.  But I would tend to doubt that whatever capacitor or internal battery (clock, settings) is not designed to provide power to write to a card.  

At least, that's my thinking (possibly incorrect).
2019-6-15
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

Yes in dashcams this failure to save last recording mostly happen in the battery based cameras when the battery are dying, the models using capacitors instead to finalize recordings can of course also fail but IMO much more rare then battery dashcams.
My reason to try and yank the battery was to see if the camera have a capacitor to finalize, but really i don't think it do, it just stop the current recording when you reach low level on the battery.
So a abrupt shutdown, should mean a last recording being corrupted as it have not been finalized properly.
Mind you these corrupted recordings you can some times restore, a once popular dashcam player had a fix file feature, you tell it where the broken file is, and then you also give it a working file recorded on the same camera, and it would often fix the broken file.
Sadly that player are no longer supported as the Russian author was killed in a MC accident a few years back, and dashcam hardware have moved on.

So if OP have abrupt shut downs i can only guessstimate it would be the battery not discharging in a normal nice and easy manner, but rather discharge, and then all of a sudden just fold,,,, maybe some on board battery charge / discharge electronics ?

My phone battery doing the same now, up until 2 weeks ago i use to have 4-5 days battery time, but fron one day to the next that have dropped to 2 days, and the battery also have swelled up a little lifting the LCD screen on the cheap Chinese phone by a mm or so on the left side of the screen.
As long as it don't catch fire like i have seen lipo batteries for RC things do in the car / whatever or on the charger.
2019-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules