Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Props - to guard or not to guard
2315 19 2019-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GetHigh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163619 ft
United States

I was doing some thinking (rare for me)
Debate on hangup avoidance

Flying my Spark, and getting it tangled in a tree, might be a problem, however it will likely fall down as no closed loops or cages to get hung up badly on branches. If it is just snagged it might be knocked off with a soft push.
Now the problem:
If I use my prop guards, in order to save my props, then it may easily get hung up on branches, etc.
So the quandary. Is it better to guard or not to guard.
Kindly avoid the obvious DON'T FLY INTO THE TREE". We know that. I just realize I'll never be perfect and might screw up.

Could we create an eject button? One that will release the prop guards, if hang ups occur?
If some one does, I want royalties for the idea

Opinions?
2019-6-13
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

Prop guards don't just protect the props...they protect the motors, too.  You can do major damage to the motors running into an obstacle.  Also, the guards might let you bounce off the obstacle and continue flight whereas once the prop hits the obstacle and the motor stops, flight can't be continued and major damage can occur to the Spark when it hits the ground.  I don't use them all the time but definitely when I'm around obstacles like trees.
2019-6-13
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I only use them when flying indoors
2019-6-13
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

I got some. I will use them when doing any work close to structures.

2019-6-13
Use props
Nidge
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Same as AJC-W I only use them when flying indoors, or under cover when there is no reliable GPS coverage and the ambient light is too low for the bottom facing positioning sensors to work reliably. In some air conditioned environments the barometric sensor can also spaz out causing the Spark, or other similar drone, to move erratically vertically, the prop guards prevent damage when the Spark starts hugging the ceiling.

Regards

Nidge.
2019-6-14
Use props
GetHigh
lvl.3
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 6-13 22:36
Prop guards don't just protect the props...they protect the motors, too.  You can do major damage to the motors running into an obstacle.  Also, the guards might let you bounce off the obstacle and continue flight whereas once the prop hits the obstacle and the motor stops, flight can't be continued and major damage can occur to the Spark when it hits the ground.  I don't use them all the time but definitely when I'm around obstacles like trees.

Good point Rustic17. I should have been more specific, in my OP.  I use mine at times also. Usually when I'm concerned. Which is foolish of me. Accidents are not planned. They happen when we are not expecting it.
2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day GetHigh. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best information from the experiences of our valued DJI co pilots who uses the said propeller guards on there DJI Spark. In addition the propeller guards help reduce the risk of damage or injury and these propeller guard protect people and objects from spinning propellers by mounting this small and light propeller guard directly on the propellers to ensure a long, safe flight. It is recommended to use propeller guards in windless environments or during indoor and low-speed flight as well. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-14
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Prop guards add weight and most of all windage. I use them just indoors.
Cheers
2019-6-14
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ssylca44 Posted at 6-14 09:59
Prop guards add weight and most of all windage. I use them just indoors.
Cheers

That's exactly my take on them too - good points
2019-6-14
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

"I just realize I'll never be perfect and might screw up."

I'm not perfect either and I did screw up. Flew into a bush while flying backwards because my brain forgot to turn its directions around. Only damage was two broken props, one black, one white. No problem, there's a box with two spares in the bag. Open the box and there's only one spare. Spark sat in its case the rest of the weekend.

The bottom line is that I didn't have the prop guards on. They would have most likely prevented at least one of the broken props and I could have flown for the weekend instead licking my wounds.
2019-6-14
Use props
GetHigh
lvl.3
United States

Prairie Chicken Posted at 6-14 14:15

I'm not perfect either and I did screw up. Flew into a bush while flying backwards because my brain forgot to turn its directions around. Only damage was two broken props, one black, one white. No problem, there's a box with two spares in the bag. Open the box and there's only one spare. Spark sat in its case the rest of the weekend.

Ugh! I feel your pain.
When I'm flying out over the ocean, bay or sandy beach, I don't use them. Otherwise I probably should but often don't.
I'm still mixed on my opinions.
In with a lot of tree branches I'm afraid mr sparky will wind up caught 70 feet in the air. On a limb where I can't find it.
Whereas with no guards, it will plummet through the limbs. Have some damage but repairable and most important recoverable.
2019-6-14
Use props
Tentoes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Would have saved some embarrassment the other day when she got the tip of a prop stuck and dangled until I could find a ladder to get her down with. She wasn't harmed, only my pride.
2019-6-14
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

GetHigh Posted at 6-14 15:12
Ugh! I feel your pain.
When I'm flying out over the ocean, bay or sandy beach, I don't use them. Otherwise I probably should but often don't.
I'm still mixed on my opinions.

Yep, there are positives and negatives to prop guards. Mine were on permanently for the first year (six months of flying weather) but one windy day, I decided to live dangerously and took them off. I got a bit cocky and started leaving them off when they should have been on. On this occasion, I was flying Spark low to the ground down a path through some bush, so fairly tight quarters and no danger of getting hung up out of reach. I'm not so cocky any more.
2019-6-14
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

I was out over water and coming back when I did a 180 so I could back Sparky up to me and not set off obstacle avoidance.  My mind was still thinking the other orientation (facing me versus facing away) so I put the wrong roll input in and Sparky bumped into a wall.  Without the prop guards, the motors stopped and Sparking dropped into two feet of water...luckily fresh water!!!  Luckily...very luckily...my Spark dried out and I've had no bad effects to Spark or battery operation...I was very fortunate.  As far as extra weight and windage, I have found very little problems or loss of flight time using prop guards.  I would venture to say my flights are shortened no more than 30 seconds to a minute at most.   I have seven batteries and a Smatree SP90 charger that gives me six full charges so I'm never really worried about losing flight time due to using prop guards.
2019-6-14
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

If you fly commercially in very close proximity to structures say for a radio mast or building damage inspection with sensors disabled these prop guards are essential.

However, worth remembering that many guards protect the craft from all sides, below (to an extent, thin branches excluded) but not from above where the props can sit over the guard so caution is still advised when flying indoors.

I have to question though why anyone would want to do so unless it's a commercial shoot ... .
2019-6-14
Use props
Prairie Chicken
lvl.4
Canada

Rustic17 Posted at 6-14 21:45
I was out over water and coming back when I did a 180 so I could back Sparky up to me and not set off obstacle avoidance.  My mind was still thinking the other orientation (facing me versus facing away) so I put the wrong roll input in and Sparky bumped into a wall.  Without the prop guards, the motors stopped and Sparking dropped into two feet of water...luckily fresh water!!!  Luckily...very luckily...my Spark dried out and I've had no bad effects to Spark or battery operation...I was very fortunate.  As far as extra weight and windage, I have found very little problems or loss of flight time using prop guards.  I would venture to say my flights are shortened no more than 30 seconds to a minute at most.   I have seven batteries and a Smatree SP90 charger that gives me six full charges so I'm never really worried about losing flight time due to using prop guards.

"As far as extra weight and windage, I have found very little problems or loss of flight time using prop guards."

That's a good point. Whatever reduction there is in flying time, it's small enough that I haven't noticed it.
2019-6-15
Use props
GetHigh
lvl.3
United States

I have noticed the noise is a little greater with the guards on. Not tremendous, but different enough to notice.
2019-6-15
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

Prairie Chicken Posted at 6-14 14:15

I'm not perfect either and I did screw up. Flew into a bush while flying backwards because my brain forgot to turn its directions around. Only damage was two broken props, one black, one white. No problem, there's a box with two spares in the bag. Open the box and there's only one spare. Spark sat in its case the rest of the weekend.

If there is no warranty for Spark, use the DJIGO4 mod2 app. There are 6 Mavic pro flight modes in this. There is a Home Lock feature and you don't have to change directions in thought and there will be no accident.
2019-6-16
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
lvl.4

Hungary

Rustic17 Posted at 6-14 21:45

If there is no warranty for Spark, use the DJIGO4 mod2 app. There are 6 Mavic pro flight modes in this. There is a Home Lock feature and you don't have to change directions in thought and there will be no accident.
2019-6-16
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Indoors, yes.  Outdoors, no.
2019-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now