Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
settings for Ronin S in Car
7517 7 2019-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LennyLevy
lvl.2
United States

I desperately need help with best settings for using a Ronin S with an A7iii in a moving car and/or a bus and confess from the outset  to be a novice with this thing.

Today I was shooting a bus driver while he was talking in the front seat . Only wanted to use the Ronin to smooth out the vibrations from the  moving  bus while holding a wide steady shot of the driver  talking to camera. The Ronin was mounted on a tripod.
I didn't do any fancy settings just used autotune with the motor stiffness set to High and the "1" setting on the handle.
The result was the Ronin was very sensitive to acceleration of the vehicle. When speeding up or slowing down it would pan to either side  ( more so with more acceleration ) and it would also tend to tilt  (roll?) to the side and  the level would get worse and worse. The tilt would also  be affected  so the headroom was always changing.
The only way I got through the  shoot was by compensating  by either using the  joystick or  tripod  itself .

Next I have to set it up in the back of a Van on a short tripod and do various shots looking at a car following us;  Straight follow shots and pans as the car passes us on either side.

Any suggestions for best settings  for these situations?

Lenny

2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Lenny, sorry for the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S on the bus, did you try to change the mounting mode to Car Mount in Settings when operating in the car? It is recommended to adjust the Stiffness value manually after AutoTune is complete, manually turn the Stiffness as high a possible until you feel the gimbal start to vibrate. You can set your own user profile to meet different shooting plan and switch directly.
2019-6-14
Use props
LennyLevy
lvl.2
United States

Thanks , is that recommendation in the manual ?
I haven’t seen any info on the web or tutorials . If you know of anything can you point me to it .
Do you mean turn up stiffness till it starts to vibrate then back off ?

What settings do I use if  I just want it to stay locked in a position directly aligned with the  handle so I can pan or tilt with the tripod head  and not react to the g forces coming from turning and accelerating  the vehicle . I just want the Ronin to absorb the bumps in the road . Is this even possible ?
2019-6-14
Use props
fansea0f1bd3
lvl.1

Germany

LennyLevy Posted at 6-14 07:41
Thanks , is that recommendation in the manual ?
I haven’t seen any info on the web or tutorials . If you know of anything can you point me to it .
Do you mean turn up stiffness till it starts to vibrate then back off ?

Have you find a solution, Lenny? I‘m having the exact same problem
2019-7-24
Use props
fansc37fcf14
New

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-14 01:54
Hi Lenny, sorry for the difficulties on operating the Ronin-S on the bus, did you try to change the mounting mode to Car Mount in Settings when operating in the car? It is recommended to adjust the Stiffness value manually after AutoTune is complete, manually turn the Stiffness as high a possible until you feel the gimbal start to vibrate. You can set your own user profile to meet different shooting plan and switch directly.

Hi there,

If anyone could help that would be great. What are the actual benefits of using the Ronin S in Car mount mode as appose to using it in handheld mode?
I do a lot of tracking shots out the back of cars filming other cars and wanted to know what actually changes on the Ronin S when you put it in Car mount mode instead of Handheld mode. Do the motor change in anyway? There’s zero information on this and whether i can benefit from using it or not.

Thanks
Liam
2019-10-13
Use props
MaineMavick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

From what I can find it increases the stiffness in the motors, hope that helps. Really irked me trying to shoot from a car and having the camera not turn with the car.
2020-1-11
Use props
djiuser_FrXqBjz52Ldl
lvl.1
Suriname

Might be a little too late with this one but what i found is that these settings work for me:
- place in car mode
- go to user profile and set it to custom
- set the pan motor to follow
- set follow speed to fast
- set deadband to low
- set sensitivity to high
Hope this can still help someone
2022-1-21
Use props
elwillbo
New

United States

djiuser_FrXqBjz52Ldl Posted at 2022-1-21 15:53
Might be a little too late with this one but what i found is that these settings work for me:
- place in car mode
- go to user profile and set it to custom

I am also late to the party, but I think this thread is discussing what I to do. In short, the camera will be mounted on a tried in the vehicle where the passenger seat would. The goal is to have a passenger's view looking forward. Vibration would be absorbed from inevitable bumps, etc, but the camera would stay facing forwards.

Is that what your settings will do? I will have to try them later (not with the equipment). Should I put it in lock mode then?

I'm a total newbie to this, so please go easy on me
2023-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules