Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Planned Obsolescence - The Battery Dilemma
498 35 6-14 09:30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6134852 ft
  • >>>
United States

A note to DJI - You design amazing aircraft but then hang users out to dry by failing to make available necessary consumables like batteries.

Phantom 2 Series - No batteries
Phantom 3 Series - No batteries
Phantom 4 Series - Out of stock like the P4 has been for months.
Mavic Pro - While any MP battery works, Alpine replacement batteries were never made available.  With the Mavic Pro out of production I'm confident these batteries too will soon be unavailable.

I don't know how many of each model was sold, but there must be hundreds of thousands, perhaps a few million, Phantom 2, 3, 4, & Alpine Mavic Pro aircraft out here that are essentially being rendered useless by DJI failing to offer owners access to proprietary replacement batteries.  Owners are forced to seek third-party & often unreliable replacements that fail to live up to the reliability & performance of the original batteries.  Batteries cannot be purchased & stored indefinitely.   Please, either continue producing & offering fresh replacement batteries for DJI aircraft, or change the pack design so that owners can easily open & rebuild their battery packs with quality cells.  Thank you.

6-14 09:30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Replacing cells is not hard.

Just take care about the board.
6-14 10:17
Use props
cameracollector
lvl.4
Flight distance : 807133 ft
Canada

I was just reading about this, having just bought another P4 a few months ago this is very concerning - can someone from DJI please confirm that batteries will be no longer available, and if so, explain why?
I just bought a brand new Phantom 4 Advanced, and if there are no more batteries available either now or in near future for a product I just recently bought this is very disconcerting.

I bought a camera years ago that has been out of production for nearly a decade, and I can still get a vendor made battery for it..
6-14 11:47
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 6-14 11:47
I was just reading about this, having just bought another P4 a few months ago this is very concerning - can someone from DJI please confirm that batteries will be no longer available, and if so, explain why?
I just bought a brand new Phantom 4 Advanced, and if there are no more batteries available either now or in near future for a product I just recently bought this is very disconcerting.

can someone from DJI please confirm that batteries will be no longer available, and if so, explain why?
Good luck getting any real information from DJI on this forum.
It's something that doesn't happen.
6-14 16:35
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Captain
Flight distance : 693133 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Im guessing we will soon find out, dont hold your breath too long though... it seems they changing everything.
6-14 17:11
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 6-14 10:17
Replacing cells is not hard.

Just take care about the board.

Rebuilding the packs with quality cells is not in itself difficult.  The problem lies is the way the packs have been designed not to be opened & serviced.   Many DJI packs are damaged attempting to crack them open.  Reassembly often leaves them distorted or with a cap prone to falling off.  It would be nice if the packs were held together with removable fasteners rather than with adhesive or sonic welding.
6-14 21:03
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Message board burp...
6-14 21:04
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Message board burp...
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Message board burp...
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-14 21:04
Message board burp...

Frank Wang has a new toy to play with:
6-14 21:44
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-14 21:44
Frank Wang has a new toy to play with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECr4zgK6cPA

Definitely some cool tech.
6-15 13:26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-15 13:26
Definitely some cool tech.

Yeah, I am concerned that Frank Wang will head off to develop these new toys and leave the Phantom owners hung out to dry.
6-15 14:33
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 780761 ft
Australia

cameracollector Posted at 6-14 11:47

Can someone from DJI .....................  ??
I love your optimism camera collector
6-16 01:21
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-14 21:03
Rebuilding the packs with quality cells is not in itself difficult.  The problem lies is the way the packs have been designed not to be opened & serviced.   Many DJI packs are damaged attempting to crack them open.  Reassembly often leaves them distorted or with a cap prone to falling off.  It would be nice if the packs were held together with removable fasteners rather than with adhesive or sonic welding.

Removable fasteners ?  That would just be too easy  
6-16 01:22
Use props
EdM
First Officer
Flight distance : 1298967 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-15 14:33
Yeah, I am concerned that Frank Wang will head off to develop these new toys and leave the Phantom owners hung out to dry.

Less government regulation to deal with.
6-16 02:36
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

Manxmann Posted at 6-16 01:22

Know anyone with Soloshot 3 Robot Camera ?

If you want to see the totally daftest battery setup ever ... ask them.

Soloshot have SEALED into the cases LiPo's that you cannot get to at all. The charging is via 2A mobile phone chargers ... less than 2A and it does not work. They take so long to charge up that you have to basically keep charged to use ... but then the LiPo suffers.
The TAG it tracks can only be charged when 'docked' so that prevents remote charging or external power during use.
You take it for a days flying ... after 1 hour - the camera shuts down as it has no charge left. I've tried hanging a powerbank on it ... makes no difference.

I have two ... basically I had one that battery just failed in it ... Soloshot wanted me to send it all back to California from Latvia. for them to change the battery. At MY COST ! I told them what I thought of that idea ... they sent me a complete new setup. Told me to keep the old.
I zapped it with a 3A supply and finally started to charge up again. But its only about 40 mins or so before it shuts down. The new one already is only just over an hour instead of the 2 its supposed to do.

I will be investigating how to power it ... as I need a lot more time than 1 hr !
6-16 05:14
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 6-16 01:22
Yes like small screws on the underside of the battery so the cover could be easily removed to replace the cells.  Oddly many P4 packs have screws like this, but the pack is still sonically welded nonetheless!  Seriously I don't even mind the high price of the packs if they were at least available.  I have 4 perfectly good P3 birds, 8 batteries nearly 4 years old & questionable for long flights, & DJI has no replacements.   
6-16 11:05
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

What is a good guess at how many re-charges a P4P battery will give ?  Assuming of course it has been looked after & stored correctly.
Mine (2) have about 75 cycles each & I am just starting to get a little nervous about eventual replacement issues.
6-17 01:31
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-16 11:05
Yes like small screws on the underside of the battery so the cover could be easily removed to replace the cells.  Oddly many P4 packs have screws like this, but the pack is still sonically welded nonetheless!  Seriously I don't even mind the high price of the packs if they were at least available.  I have 4 perfectly good P3 birds, 8 batteries nearly 4 years old & questionable for long flights, & DJI has no replacements.

That'd be nice.  But wouldn't it be good if DJI just made new batteries to meet what must be a huge market demand !

6-17 01:32
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

What is the term manufacturers use now ?

Planned Obsolescence
Apple and its crap iPhone / iPad versions every 5 minutes !

Keeps the revenue pot going ... trouble is DJI seem to have lost the plot somewhere !!
6-17 05:33
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Apple products are very well designed and built. I have no complaints about mine.

Even though they continue to release new products, the previous models aren’t obsolete.
Not when they last for many years, and continue delivering the goods...

I never had one hiccup using my Air2 with the Phantom 3 Pro. Completely unproblematic.

RedHotPoker
6-17 13:25
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

Brand Loyalty is expected - primarily by the manufacturer who relies on it to keep their bank accounts healthy.

I like Blackberry but of course its not suited to DJI use. But then again - my BB is a very good business tool. Various business people I know had iPhones but soon gave them up to go for a rival system !
6-17 23:19
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

Someone will make a cottage industry out of replacing cells and rebuilding old batteries.
6-18 18:09
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 549140 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-17 13:25
Apple products are very well designed and built. I have no complaints about mine.

Even though they continue to release new products, the previous models aren’t obsolete.

Beg to differ, the 4s  and older are deffo obsolete, no updates and most apps will not work, i only know this be cause i HAD to buy an iphone a week ago, it was against all better judgement but it was a must because i needed some settings for my Conexis L1 lock, theyve not updated the android version with the new settings yet and i couldnt wait cause i needed the relock time extending, so i bought the cruddy thing for £25, what a load of shpoop, the only app that worked was the Yale so i was VERY fortunate there.

As for the P4/P batteries, with new cells added would they not need calibrating or is that what the control board does?
6-18 19:15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nothing good lasts forever. But you can get a good run for your money.

My iPad 3 died on me, after getting a new battery installed, and a brand new screen. It was only 6 months later, when the logic  board died.
Lost 18,000 pics, and all of my vast address book... not to mention tons of apps and games.

Krapp happens...

RedHotPoker

6-18 19:32
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Australia

As I said before........  Why wouldn't DJI produce batteries to meet what is very obviously a huge market ?  GMF !
and whilst I am on the subject ............  what about an objective comment from DJI ?   C'mon,  what are you up to ?
(I won't hold me breath !)
6-19 01:30
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-18 19:32

My iPad 3 died on me, after getting a new battery installed, and a brand new screen. It was only 6 months later, when the logic  board died.

Most people I know who have moved away from Iphones - reason was they found archiving and moving data from the iPhone to another was a nightmare.
Second - Apple Store locks you to Apple and trying to uninstall ... another nightmare.

I know people swear by them for battery life and ease of use ... but if the install / uninstall etc. is so locked ??

Android may be frowned on - but apps are easy to get .. install / uninstall is dead easy and no need to lock into Google etc.
6-19 02:50
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

You can always jailbreak your iPhone and have freedom to your hearts content.

RedHotPoker

6-19 08:44
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-19 08:44
You can always jailbreak your iPhone and have freedom to your hearts content.

With greatest respect ...

So go out and pay over the odds for an Iphone.

Jailbreak that expensive 'girly toy'

You need warranty later for some fault ............... Oh Dear ... Jailbreak !!

My Androids require no 'Jailbreak' voiding warranty etc.
Anyway - enough about branding ... back to topic ??
6-19 10:42
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I only mentioned that jail broke device, which gave you a way to over ride the “App-le” restrictive policy.

Some folks buy their toys cheap, at a pawn shop and pay, by the minute for use. What warranty? Haha

You’d argue any fekking thing, just to get a word in, to make a comment, & of course always be “judge-mental”. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
6-19 11:11
Use props
Goldenseal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372359 ft
United States

I use my 2014 I PAD Air without a glitch everyday. My Samsung android only glitches when I fly.
The battery issue shows DJI true colors. They could do or say something to give us a little light, I guess not saying something says a lot. Thank you Frankie.
6-19 18:18
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-18 19:32

My iPad 3 died on me, after getting a new battery installed, and a brand new screen. It was only 6 months later, when the logic  board died.
Doesn't Apple store your contacts, photos, & videos to your cloud storage?  With Android anytime I take a photo or video it is automatically backed up.  All my contacts & even the vast majority of my device settings, including a list of installed apps, are all backed up.  If I purchase a new device all I need do is connect to my Google account & 98% of my stuff is back in only a few minutes.  
6-20 00:26
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 6-20 00:26
Doesn't Apple store your contacts, photos, & videos to your cloud storage?  With Android anytime I take a photo or video it is automatically backed up.  All my contacts & even the vast majority of my device settings, including a list of installed apps, are all backed up.  If I purchase a new device all I need do is connect to my Google account & 98% of my stuff is back in only a few minutes.

"Doesn't Apple store your contacts, photos, & videos to your cloud storage?"

That works well provided it's not been deactivated by user, Apple charge for iCloud storage above 5GB. It's (5GB) usually sufficient for address books & contacts, but limited for bigger files.
Other than that it works, another good alternative is creating a local backup through iTunes (only limited by PC or Mac storage limits).
6-20 00:45
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-20 00:45
"Doesn't Apple store your contacts, photos, & videos to your cloud storage?"

That works well provided it's not been deactivated by user, Apple charge for iCloud storage above 5GB. It's (5GB) usually sufficient for address books & contacts, but limited for bigger files.

I think Google gives you 15 GB free total, usable among all the various Google services.  If you let them compress your photos then it's unlimited for pictures.
6-20 07:12
Use props
solentlife
Captain
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 6-19 11:11
I only mentioned that jail broke device, which gave you a way to over ride the “App-le” restrictive policy.

Some folks buy their toys cheap, at a pawn shop and pay, by the minute for use. What warranty? Haha

Here we go again ...

Can you never have a discussion without having a 'hissy-fit' ??

I made a valid point because many people worry about warranty ... not everyone buys from cheap source.

Has nothing to do with arguing any f* point or whatever else you think it is ...  
6-20 07:51
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

solentlife Posted at 6-20 07:51
Here we go again ...

Can you never have a discussion without having a 'hissy-fit' ??

Angry camper, lookout.... haha

I gave you a thumb, only because it makes Me feel good, about being nice.

Whether you argue or just throw it out there, it’s often in a negative tone. Too bad for you.

Personally, I couldn’t care less what your thoughts, opinions or vast experience might be. Just silly.

Oh please be quiet, you fool. Hahaha J/K

Ok, carry on rebuking. Chuckles

RedHotPoker

6-20 09:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules