Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 F/stop tests
12Next >
3597 65 2019-6-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... VU4qfGW6M3fZPj159Ln

I'm not going through all this and making it fit the 2MB limit lmao
2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thanks for sharing this information but unfortunately, we cannot access the link that you provided. You can try to repost the link for us to visit it. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-14 10:56
Hi, there. Thanks for sharing this information but unfortunately, we cannot access the link that you provided. You can try to repost the link for us to visit it. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!

Looking at the pictures, it seems f/6.3 is the sharpest all around lol
2019-6-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

AntDX316 Posted at 6-14 14:03
Looking at the pictures, it seems f/6.3 is the sharpest all around lol

I already access the link that you provided. Thank you for sharing these awesome shots! Happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-6-14
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nicely done Ant
2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 00:10
Very nicely done Ant

Which f/stop is better?  I think f/6.3..
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 01:35
Which f/stop is better?  I think f/6.3..

I tend to go with f4 myself for landscapes - where possible of course.
2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 01:42
I tend to go with f4 myself for landscapes - where possible of course.

f/6.3 looks the sharpest..
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 01:48
f/6.3 looks the sharpest..

The aperture doesn't control sharpness - it controls the iris of the lens to create shallow focus/depth of field and control exposure value.
2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 01:49
The aperture doesn't control sharpness - it controls the iris of the lens to create shallow focus/depth of field and control exposure value.

I know but I couldn't tell much difference between them all after f/4..  f/2.8 was really bad though.
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 01:54
I know but I couldn't tell much difference between them all after f/4..  f/2.8 was really bad though.

You'll also find lighting conditions play a massive part too
2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 01:56
You'll also find lighting conditions play a massive part too

Yeah, I think f/6.3 is the best it can get w/ the P4P V2.
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 03:19
Yeah, I think f/6.3 is the best it can get w/ the P4P V2.

Keep trying all of them in different light and scenery - you'll probably change your mind
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 04:03
Keep trying all of them in different light and scenery - you'll probably change your mind

Exactly........

Rule of thumb, main subject in focus blurred background F2 etc, everything in focus F11.

2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 04:03

Yeah, but when I'm in the air I'm not taking 5 different settings.  I just take one and move the shot.  It's not like the drone has 5 different presets and does everything for you in 2 seconds.
2019-6-15
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing!
2019-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

KEJ Posted at 6-15 04:28
Exactly........

Rule of thumb, main subject in focus blurred background F2 etc, everything in focus F11.

Forget your rule of thumb.
While it might be OK with a fast portrait lens, it doesn't apply to aerial shots with this camera.
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 6-15 04:28
Exactly........

Precisely mate - there is no such thing as a 'perfect f-stop' or why have the other options to choose from...
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 04:43
Yeah, but when I'm in the air I'm not taking 5 different settings.  I just take one and move the shot.  It's not like the drone has 5 different presets and does everything for you in 2 seconds.

Try it out - then perhaps your may see improvements in your washed out images
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-15 06:33
While it might be OK with a fast portrait lens, it doesn't apply to aerial shots with this camera.

Which then of course makes you wonder why they have that ability or option then ?

And whilst you could argue to control the shutter speed or light, the other consequence is the focal length.

So if I remember and the next time the weather is better for a flight I'll do a little test(wind and on/off showers).

But as I said, its a rule of thumb, I am not saying you must follow this to the letter else you will burn in hell!

2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 07:02
Precisely mate - there is no such thing as a 'perfect f-stop' or why have the other options to choose from...

I do agree, but in principle it does apply and consideration for the lens sweet spot.

2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 6-15 08:13
I do agree, but in principle it does apply and consideration for the lens sweet spot.

That's the purpose of a VARIABLE aperture is it not - if f6 is the absolute perfect aperture as the OP seems to claim then surely the camera would be fixed on that f-stop. The reason we are presented with the option in choosing how open we want the iris of our camera to be is in order to align the aperture to the image we are hoping to create. There is no universal 'best' manual camera setting as environmental factors need to be taken into consideration such as light and obviously the artistic preferences of the photographer will differ too.
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Not a proper test by any means.

Just did a quick test, back garden, focused on bird bath, house next door in background with TV aerials.

ISO 100, altered F stops and shutter speeds for correct exposure - pics 35meg each.

Test 1
Using Raw pics, zoomed in and compared, (possibly at almost pixel level) F11 may(really mean maybe) had the edge, possibly slightly clearer over F2.8.

Test 2
Different pic, picked a tree in the garden as focus and then zoomed in on houses in the background approx 1 miles away, really 50/50 and you could argue the F2.8 had the edge over F11.

Hopefully if I remember when the weather is better will try a real test.

2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 08:44
That's the purpose of a VARIABLE aperture is it not - if f6 is the absolute perfect aperture as the OP seems to claim then surely the camera would be fixed on that f-stop. The reason we are presented with the option in choosing how open we want the iris of our camera to be is in order to align the aperture to the image we are hoping to create. There is no universal 'best' manual camera setting as environmental factors need to be taken into consideration such as light and obviously the artistic preferences of the photographer will differ too.

I agree with everything you are saying.
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 6-15 09:00
Not a proper test by any means.

Just did a quick test, back garden, focused on bird bath, house next door in background with TV aerials.

Interesting findings - thanks for sharing KEJ
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Basic tests, suggest you might have a point !

I'll have to give it a real go the next time I'm out.
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 09:10
Interesting findings - thanks for sharing KEJ

;-). clear as mud!

2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 6-15 09:34
;-). clear as mud!

A good test I did is when I pan the gimbal on the M2P to the far left the Mavic 2 print on the arm is blurred in f2.8 but in f11 it is crystal clear.
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 09:51
A good test I did is when I pan the gimbal on the M2P to the far left the Mavic 2 print on the arm is blurred in f2.8 but in f11 it is crystal clear.

It is a hard one, obviously the aperture is having an effect.

And that's assuming what ever you focused for the first shot, you repeated.

I think I know a great place to test mine, an old light house and in the background the city.

The only problem is as you have said we all have a different spin on things, however, I will be interested for me to sit in front of that as the focus, then take a few shots as various F stops to see if anything in the background changes.

Then maybe some general city shots......to be continued.....thanks for replying
2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KEJ Posted at 6-15 10:02
It is a hard one, obviously the aperture is having an effect.

And that's assuming what ever you focused for the first shot, you repeated.

2019-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KEJ Posted at 6-15 09:31
Basic tests, suggest you might have a point !

I'll have to give it a real go the next time I'm out.

The only time you would ever have any concern about depth of field would be when you have a subject within 2 metres of the camera and still want background detail.
That's a very rare situation when shooting with a drone.
For almost all drone photography, the lens has more depth of field  than you will need, at any aperture.
2019-6-15
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 07:04
Try it out - then perhaps your may see improvements in your washed out images

It's washed out because it has to be corrected in Post.  It's on D-cinelike and raw.
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-15 16:51
The only time you would ever have any concern about depth of field would be when you have a subject within 2 metres of the camera and still want background detail.
For almost all drone photography, the lens has more depth of field  than you will need, at any aperture.

I am starting to think you are right and I suspect due to the greater distances involved generally when taking pictures or video in the first place as you are strictly speaking almost focusing more towards infinity anyway.

So if you focus on something 800m away, the chances are foreground(400m) and background(1500m) will all be in focus, although the greater the F Stop should still have an influence.

I am determine to investigate further on slightly closer objects with backgrounds..........to be continued and a good point to raise.

2019-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KEJ Posted at 6-15 20:52
I am starting to think you are right and I suspect due to the greater distances involved generally when taking pictures or video in the first place as you are strictly speaking almost focusing more towards infinity anyway.

So if you focus on something 800m away, the chances are foreground(400m) and background(1500m) will all be in focus, although the greater the F Stop should still have an influence.
although the greater the F Stop should still have an influence.
No influence that makes any difference.
Here are some numbers to show what the actual effect is:
At f2.8 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 12ft - infinity is in focus
At f5.6 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 6ft - infinity is in focus
At f11 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 3ft - infinity is in focus

The lens on the P4 pro has a truckload of Depth of Field even at f2.8.
You won't ever have a DoF concern unless you are shooting subjects <2 metres away and want background detail.
Adjusting the aperture on the Phantom will change the DoF, but not as much as you might imagine.

For general aerial photography where everything in the picture is distant, it doesn't make much difference.

2019-6-15
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 17:38
It's washed out because it has to be corrected in Post.  It's on D-cinelike and raw.

Since when did colour grading and profiles impact on exposure values? Hahaha
2019-6-15
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-15 21:20
although the greater the F Stop should still have an influence.
No influence that makes any difference.
Here are some numbers to show what the actual effect is:

I was going to say, I think I agree with that.

I suppose if you are designing a drone, its not really for macro photography or closeups(always exceptions).

Weather still rubbish here(just for a change), but another small test, I think the lens in theory can focus from 1m.
So I placed my focus/calibration chart on the table(focused on that) and took two pictures at F2.8 and F11, I did expect pretty much the same, however, when you zoom in and look at the external light outside in the background, you can see that F11 is more clear, also the pattern on the table cloth.
Again not exactly scientific, but........all that said I suspect you are right the lens/camera has been optimised for greater distances.

I will still try a proper test at a later date & thanks for this info.

F2.8 & F11

F2.8 & F11

F2.8

F2.8

F11

F11
2019-6-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

KEJ Posted at 6-15 23:41
I was going to say, I think I agree with that.

I suppose if you are designing a drone, its not really for macro photography or closeups(always exceptions).

So I placed my focus/calibration chart on the table(focused on that) and took two pictures at F2.8 and F11
But you are never going to be focusing that close with your drone.
Indoor testing isn't going to show you what matters for drone photography.

Except in very rare cases, depth of field is completely irrelevant to drone photography with the Phantom.
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-15 16:51
The only time you would ever have any concern about depth of field would be when you have a subject within 2 metres of the camera and still want background detail.

What aperture you use with not needing "any aperture"?
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

AJC-W Posted at 6-15 21:59
Since when did colour grading and profiles impact on exposure values? Hahaha

You are supposed to dial that in, in post.  With higher-end cameras, you can run a low ISO then bring the ISO up in Lightroom vs having it brighter and having Massive noise at the camera.  Dialing that EV down in Post will keep the noise.
2019-6-16
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-16 04:29
You are supposed to dial that in, in post.  With higher-end cameras, you can run a low ISO then bring the ISO up in Lightroom vs having it brighter and having Massive noise at the camera.  Dialing that EV down in Post will keep the noise.

Brightness, black points, brilliance, contrast etc are shadings of the overall lighting of the image in post. Exposure is the amount of natural light captured when taking the image. That is why you have separate saturation, contrast and sharpness settings in the camera profile totally separate to exposure value.
2019-6-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules