Disposing of Lipo Battery in Salt Water
1468 4 2019-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

So yesterday I noticed swelling in one of my batteries.  I was told by several people to dispose of it in salt water.  It has now been sitting in salt water for about a day and a blue substance is laying at the bottom of the bucket I have it sitting in.  My question is what do I do with the water after I have finished disposing of the battery?  I am guessing just pouring it on the ground outside would not be a good idea but I doubt it would be good to pour it down the sink either.

Thanks
2019-6-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't know, but I think next time I'd take the battery to your local recycle center.  
2019-6-15
Use props
fans0ab4d934
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-15 04:47
I don't know, but I think next time I'd take the battery to your local recycle center.

I was told to do that after disposing it.
2019-6-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there thank you for reaching out and my apologies for what happened to your battery. For the proper disposal of the battery, I would highly recommend disposing of the battery in a specific recycling box. Do not place the battery in regular trash containers. Strictly follow your local regulations regarding the disposal of recycling of batteries. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-6-15
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The Salt Water trick .... which in fact is so slow as to be waste of time.

The initial discharge is not so slow but as the charge decreases - the resistance of the SW is such that the battery discharge rate is so slow that it can take more than a day ... many days in fact.

The best way is a lamp or resistors. Do not stop just because lamp goes out ... its still discharging ... its just that you low enough not to light the filament.

Once you've left it for over a day ... you short the main wires and dispose of in proper disposal area.

As to disposal of the SW you have ? If I answered what I'd do - some twitty Green person would accuse me of Hell and Damnation !!

Just a point though : If it was my Phantom battery - I'd carefully open the case ... replace the cells and close up ......... giving myself a 'new' pack. (You would have to find out how to reset the board though ... ).
2019-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules