Overheating Osmo Action
13209 21 2019-6-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hamido
New

Germany

Unfortunately I had an issue wit the Osmo Action overheating after 30 min. filming in 4K 50p. So for me this is a very severe issue. Has anyone got the same problem?

2019-6-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Hamido. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-17
Use props
djiuser_uGcagXhmGefp
New

United States

Hi I also just had and overheating issue with my Osmo Action while shooting 4k 30. How long does it take for the camera to turn back on?
2019-6-17
Use props
djiuser_uGcagXhmGefp
New

United States

It's been more than 20 minutes it won't turn on please reply. I just bought it yesterday this is unacceptable.
2019-6-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_uGcagXhmGefp Posted at 6-17 13:46
It's been more than 20 minutes it won't turn on please reply. I just bought it yesterday this is unacceptable.

Sorry for the late response. Just to verify, is there any reaction when you charge the unit? May I have a short operation video for double check? Thanks in advance!
2019-6-19
Use props
Williamdoss
lvl.1
Sweden

Yes, i have the same problem, when I filming in 4K 60FPS it overheats after a while! It's almost like you can fry eggs on the camera LOL
2019-12-12
Use props
natsdroid
New

United States

Tonight I used my action  to film myself while I played fall out 4. 30 minutes in. The camera had a error staing over heating and turned off. I'm going in vacation  and want to film. The footage is beautiful but if it turns off it's useless
2020-2-9
Use props
stanzhang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1792188 ft
France

Yeah, I am also getting this issue. When you touch the lens, it's burning hot, and eventually shuts down.
I think it's mostly when the screen is on/or when it is connecteed to a phone.
This sucks when I try to record anything long using this camera :/.
2020-4-14
Use props
fans747a45c5
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I have the same problem.  I might have to go back to using the gopro.  I loved the osmo action because it was more intuitive than the gopro, but if it shuts off because it gets to hot makes it useless.
2020-7-8
Use props
fans6f95f6d7
New
Flight distance : 27028 ft
United States

Yeah, I'll add that I've been having this issue to. Today, the unit overheated and shut itself down. Clearly there is something wrong with how it's manufactured. How do we proceed?
2021-2-3
Use props
fans6f95f6d7
New
Flight distance : 27028 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-6-17 09:12
Hello and good day Hamido. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. The DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. Hope that this would clarify your query. Thank you for your support.

But obviously this is a problem that I dont see happening with other similar cameras.

Like the others i need somethibg reliable.

Also, when it heats up, you can no longer connect to it via wifi. It auto disconnects itself.
2021-2-3
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is March 2021 has there not been a fix for the overheating problem on the Osmo Action filming 4K 50P mine shuts down after 30m and is boiling hot.
2021-3-19
Use props
Metzhara
New

United States

I picked my camera up less than a month ago. Used it very minimally. Anything 4K and I'm getting much less than 30 minutes. I'm lucky to get 16 Minutes at this point.
My last video was in the included case isolated on a very simple tripod. The room temp was MAYBE 76 degrees Farenheit. The camera turned off and was intensely hot.
When it finally did turn back on, I could verify the camera only captured 16 minutes.
I understand it'll get hot. I understand  it can't be on all day long. But if it can't handle a walk around a block or a small scene, it's a bit ridiculous. I purchased this for a trip to Japan and now I'm starting to get concerned.
Any tips out there? Any suggested camera frames that act as heat sinks? Literally anything at this point.
2021-5-21
Use props
Allen Applegarth
New

United States

I can even take mine in the sun, as it overheats within minutes on my head without being used.  I turn it on and start recording and withing a few minutes it shuts down.  
2021-7-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

are you on fw 1.10, and what is the temp thresh hold on High
2021-7-20
Use props
djiuser_rFGNTshQ4cPr
New

Latvia

I have just got a new DJI Osmo action camera. Recording turns off itself because of overheating at 1080P/30 after 21 min. and at 2.7K/30 after 15 min., not even with HDR. So I'm sad.
2021-7-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_rFGNTshQ4cPr Posted at 7-20 11:57
I have just got a new DJI Osmo action camera. Recording turns off itself because of overheating at 1080P/30 after 21 min. and at 2.7K/30 after 15 min., not even with HDR. So I'm sad.

Sorry to hear that your camera completely shuts down, the card used?   As  I demonstrate it continues the recording, so I do not understand the issues the members have?
2021-7-20
Use props
djiuser_rFGNTshQ4cPr
New

Latvia

Fishycomics Posted at 7-20 12:08
Sorry to hear that your camera completely shuts down, the card used?   As  I demonstrate it continues the recording, so I do not understand the issues the members have?
I'm using this card - Lexar High-Performance 633x 32GB micro SDHC UHS-I; up to 100MB/S Read.
2021-7-20
Use props
djiuser_CRNgynK5uKKc
New

India

It seems, that everyone on internet is showing that Dji Action 2 is having heating issue.

I have only one question, can Dji address this and can it be shorted out for all the people who have bought and will buy the product?

Earliest response to the query is much appreciated.

Or else last option to buy action cam is Gopro.
2021-10-30
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

Action 2: Temp threshold,  one showed it was enabled before her did his registration, and right after it was disabled and locked to Standard.  As DJI could not tell people on the OA what Temp threshold was. it is  the maximum allowance for the camera to operate. and they allowed  it to be set to regular and max.  And now People are saying its a law to now put this into cameras in the UK.  Can a DJI staff team player be able to back this up or even make a  comment about it.   wait-n-see
They love commenting rest assure

thank you for that informative vid

Etc
2021-10-31
Use props
djiuser_NMAPwritDIe0
New

Hungary

DJI Stephen Posted at 2019-6-17 09:12

Due to overheating, the insulation is released.  Because of this, Osmo in the underwater case also soaked to a depth of 40 meters.  Clearly constructive, a flaw in the DJI.  Now the osmo can go in the trash.
2021-11-20
Use props
djiuser_c72vMYy6MXFC
lvl.1
Sri Lanka

djiuser_rFGNTshQ4cPr Posted at 7-20 11:57

Hi did you find any solution for this?
2021-12-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules