App not detecting drone through controller
5721 16 2019-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14472 ft
Canada

So I reached out to DJI customer service about this, but they were entirely useless, so I'm trying my luck here.

So I can connect my phone to my Mavic Air over WiFi, and I can connect my controller to my Mavic Air. However, when I connect my phone to my controller, the app doesn't detect the drone, instead just showing the usual disconnected screen.

The phone charges when connected, so the cable does work. None the less, I tried a different cable, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the app, though neither yielded different results.

I'm using a Pixel 2, and it's worked perfectly with my drone for 6 months. However, DJI refuses to troubleshoot my issue, and just kept saying "Your device isn't officially supported, this is the issue." I see what people are talking about now when they say they have bad experiences with DJI customer support.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!
2019-6-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Stormageddons, we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. Generally, after connecting the mobile to Mavic Air over WiFi, linking is required when switching back to Remote Control Mode. You may refer to the tutorial video and link RC again to see whether it works.

If the issue remains, please kindly upload a short video for double check, thanks! Also, may I know how did you contact our support at that time? Please kindly provide us with your phone number/email address when you contacted us, we'll investigate the exact status, thanks so much!
2019-6-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Worked for 6-months.  By chance did it stop working after:

1) Upgrading DJI Firmware for MA or RC?
2) Upgrading GO-4 App?
3) Upgrading Pixel 2 OS?
4) Adding some other App to Pixel 2?

2019-6-18
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 6-18 18:31
Hi Stormageddons, we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. Generally, after connecting the mobile to Mavic Air over WiFi, linking is required when switching back to Remote Control Mode. You may refer to the tutorial video and link RC again to see whether it works.

If the issue remains, please kindly upload a short video for double check, thanks! Also, may I know how did you contact our support at that time? Please kindly provide us with your phone number/email address when you contacted us, we'll investigate the exact status, thanks so much!

Hi Susan, sorry for the late reply.

I suppose I wasn't clear before, so my apologies for that. The controller is connecting to my drone just fine. The issue is that, when I connect my phone to the controller, the DJI GO 4 app doesn't detect a connection. I was just pointing out that my Pixel 2 connects to the drone over WiFi just fine to emphasize that the issue is clearly not one of compatibility with my phone.

On that note, I checked the compatibility list after making the original post, and saw that the Pixel 2 XL is listed there. This makes it even more frustrating that the customer support representative tried to claim the issue is one of compatibility with my phone, seeing as the Pixel 2 and 2 XL are nearly identical.

I've attached the video as you requested. I apologize for the bad camera work and bad focus (I was trying to do it myself rather quickly, so it didn't end up being all that great). As you can see in the video, the controller and drone are successfully connected, as indicated by the green light on each. However, when I connect the cable linking the controller and my phone, the DJI GO 4 app doesn't indicate that a connection has been made. It's clear that the cable is working, however, seeing as the phone is charging.

Lastly, I contacted support over chat. I've PM'd you my email address that was used when I contacted support.

Thanks for your help!

2019-7-6
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

android usb mode cabled to rc is suppose to request of you special usb mode connection (developer mode priviledge)

happens only once upon successful installation and 1st run

i am familiar with phone getting charged connected by cable into sideline port rc

but it stopped after the devlp mode committal
2019-7-6
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Canada

cutis Posted at 7-6 14:20
android usb mode cabled to rc is suppose to request of you special usb mode connection (developer mode priviledge)

happens only once upon successful installation and 1st run

It only happens once if you configure your settings to remember your choice. I never did, so it's supposed to ask every time. With that being said, I suppose it's possible that the access somehow got denied and it remembered that choice, and thus is not asking anymore; however, I'm not sure where I'd go to change this setting.
2019-7-6
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

Stormageddons Posted at 7-6 18:12
It only happens once if you configure your settings to remember your choice. I never did, so it's supposed to ask every time. With that being said, I suppose it's possible that the access somehow got denied and it remembered that choice, and thus is not asking anymore; however, I'm not sure where I'd go to change this setting.

Understand the nougat or oreo flies updates effecting change, too
The user included too
So, it is merely challenges
Yet surpass'able
Understand also the drawn soft at what date time can effect change, too
Thats why the advisory keep current
Your defect must reside in mechanical junction vulnerable includes defect cabling, try spare knowngood
2019-7-6
Use props
cutis
lvl.4
United States

Stormageddons Posted at 7-6 18:12

Oh! Okay, was ok before, perfectly
Then bang stopped
Yes. Thats config issue
2019-7-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Stormageddons Posted at 7-6 14:09
Hi Susan, sorry for the late reply.

I suppose I wasn't clear before, so my apologies for that. The controller is connecting to my drone just fine. The issue is that, when I connect my phone to the controller, the DJI GO 4 app doesn't detect a connection. I was just pointing out that my Pixel 2 connects to the drone over WiFi just fine to emphasize that the issue is clearly not one of compatibility with my phone.

Thanks for the clarification. Upon checking your video, it seems that you connect the mobile device and controller via the side port. Have you tried to switch to the bottom port? You may also change to another working cable or reinstall the App to check.
Also, thanks for your message in PM, I'll forward to the designated team to investigate and keep learning from it.
2019-7-7
Use props
Yoyok Oyoy
New
Flight distance : 59580 ft

Indonesia

Same issue happen to me couple weeks ago. Owning mavic air for 1 year without any problem. But after upgrade firmware can not link between RC and aircraft
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0620
Remote Controller Firmware: v01.00.0200
DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.3.20

I using DJI Assistant 2 to upgrade and reinstall both RC and aircraft, but still no luck.

Sadly, now we can not downgrade firmware of aircraft anymore
2019-7-7
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 7-7 19:09
Thanks for the clarification. Upon checking your video, it seems that you connect the mobile device and controller via the side port. Have you tried to switch to the bottom port? You may also change to another working cable or reinstall the App to check.
Also, thanks for your message in PM, I'll forward to the designated team to investigate and keep learning from it.

I have tried it with the bottom port using a USB-A to USB-C cable, yes. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Neither solution has worked.
2019-7-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Stormageddons Posted at 7-7 20:17
I have tried it with the bottom port using a USB-A to USB-C cable, yes. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Neither solution has worked.

Is there any chance to change to another recommended mobile device to verify? It might help us to locate the exact status. If not, I'm afraid that you may start a case and send the unit in for fully diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support Sorry about that.
2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Yoyok Oyoy Posted at 7-7 20:10
Same issue happen to me couple weeks ago. Owning mavic air for 1 year without any problem. But after upgrade firmware can not link between RC and aircraft
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0620
Remote Controller Firmware: v01.00.0200

Hi Yoyok Oyoy, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. May I know which step are you stuck when linking RC? If the unit has been connected with the aircraft over WiFi, please switch back to remote control mode to check. Alternatively, you may upload a short video of your operation for double check, thanks!
2019-7-8
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 7-8 01:19
Is there any chance to change to another recommended mobile device to verify? It might help us to locate the exact status. If not, I'm afraid that you may start a case and send the unit in for fully diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support Sorry about that.

Hi Susan,

I tested it with an iPhone 5s and it worked perfectly fine. The issue persists with my Pixel 2 though.
2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Stormageddons Posted at 7-8 17:15
Hi Susan,

I tested it with an iPhone 5s and it worked perfectly fine. The issue persists with my Pixel 2 though.

If it is this case, I'm afraid that this might be the issue of your mobile settings or software. You may recall seeing whether there is anything change you may ignore.
2019-7-9
Use props
Stormageddons
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 7-9 00:21
If it is this case, I'm afraid that this might be the issue of your mobile settings or software. You may recall seeing whether there is anything change you may ignore.

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the last sentence of your post.

I'm sure it is a software issue, but I don't know what it could be, hence why I'm reaching out to DJI. I'm hoping for some help in solving the issue.
2019-7-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Stormageddons Posted at 7-9 08:01
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand the last sentence of your post.

I'm sure it is a software issue, but I don't know what it could be, hence why I'm reaching out to DJI. I'm hoping for some help in solving the issue.

According to your description, it looks like an isolated issue as this only appears in your Pixel 2. For this kind of situation, I'm afraid that it is not DJI's issue, you may try to reset the mobile to factory settings or refresh the operating system. Please back up all data in advance, thanks!
2019-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules