Removing of lens cover to apply ND Filter – finally succeeded
1933 11 2019-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

Many weeks ago there have been several discussions on the removal of the lens cover of the MV2Z to apply ND filters. I had trouble too and did not succeed so far. I tried each of the suggestions here to solve the problem. But I finally failed, because I did not want to apply too much force risking the damage of the cam/gimbal. One last idea was to send the drone to the dji service...

I continued practising with the drone. Then, approaching real projects, I spoiled some shots because of the much too short shutter speed in bright sunlight, even when the drone was moving at reasonable speed.

Well, then I sat down and tried and considered and  got the solution: the problem was solved in seconds where before I tried in vain for hours:

I just applied some lubricant (model railway stuff) and the problem was solved: no nore tools of any kind, heating, rubber gloves etc. … why not  earlier ??

IMG_2114a.JPG
IMG_2115a.JPG
2019-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. We're glad that you already manage to change the stock lens to an ND filter. Just a friendly reminder, that we are not recommending customers to force remove the stock lens if the cover is too hard to remove since there is a possibility that the unit will be damaged. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!
2019-6-19
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-19 08:23
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. We're glad that you already manage to change the stock lens to an ND filter. Just a friendly reminder, that we are not recommending customers to force remove the stock lens if the cover is too hard to remove since there is a possibility that the unit will be damaged. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Cheers!

Any chance of passing this consistant problem on to the guys who screw them on too tight??
Obviously this is a probelm that's not just related to the M2Z, but all DJI products with a removable lens cover.
2019-6-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Capt. Wild Bill Kelso Posted at 6-19 11:14
Any chance of passing this consistant problem on to the guys who screw them on too tight??
Obviously this is a probelm that's not just related to the M2Z, but all DJI products with a removable lens cover.

Hi, Thank you for the additional information. The tightness of the lens cover has undergone a quality assessment to ensure that it is well fastened preventing space for wear, pressure, and damage. Nevertheless, let us forward this to the designated department for attention. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-6-19
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Thank you for information! I wait my new filters right now...
2019-6-19
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Thank you for information! I wait my new filters right now...
2019-6-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-19
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Thanks for sharing.
2019-6-20
Use props
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

Aftermath

If you are lucky, you get a MV2Z and the lens cover can be removed easily.

If you are not lucky, you might have trouble to do so. But as shown, the problem can be solved very easily.
You need a certain amount of force to loosen a thread. You need to apply that force, but here is the first problem with the Mavic, because the surface of the cover is much too smooth. At least some of the Filter manufactures do better with a textured surface, giving much more grip out of the box. See picture below.

If you cannot loosen the thread, you just have two options:
  • increase the applied force – this takes the risk of damage and also you might enter a vicious circle, because the cap is not very strong, it will deform a little and thus increas the pressure in the thread making the job even harder

• reduce the friction in the thread by application of a qualified lubricant, which creeps into the thread. A last picture showing the inner threads.

filter01a.jpg
filter02a.jpg
2019-6-20
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-20
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-19 12:34
Hi, Thank you for the additional information. The tightness of the lens cover has undergone a quality assessment to ensure that it is well fastened preventing space for wear, pressure, and damage. Nevertheless, let us forward this to the designated department for attention. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Happy flying always. Cheers!

Thank you!
2019-6-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

You're welcome. Cheers!
2019-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules