Osmo Action Bicycle Stability Test .
1515 19 2019-6-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Stealing Hallmark's title somewhat, I had the Action attached my my road bicycle yesterday and filmed about 20 minutes.  The segment here was not intended to actually catch the  shift/brake level in the left corner of the video but it is just the way the camera wound up.  But it shows the lever shaking and the rest of the video pretty, well, ROCKSTEADY.   I think it performs pretty well.  Views of Puget Sound begin at around 3:20

As an aside, I still don't know how to upload videos to Youtube so that they don't get downgraded and show what I'll call the smearing affect you see on the roadway surface.  The original video does not look anything like that.

2019-6-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ff22. Thank you for sharing this test video you have created with your DJI Osmo Action. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-6-22
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It actually looks not too bad. Pretty stable.
2019-6-22
Use props
Sanadif
New
Greece

If someone tells you how to edit-render-upload, without downgrading, please share it. That "smear" effect looks terrible, and yes...the original files look stellar. Please DJI, adress this issue, because as you imagine, most of us will edit our footage most of the time.
2019-6-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"As an aside, I still don't know how to upload videos to Youtube so that they don't get downgraded and show what I'll call the smearing affect you see on the roadway surface."

I viewed your video @4k on my 4k monitor, and it looked good. However when youtube is set to 1080P the image degraded when seen on my 4k monitor. It looks as though YouTube resizing the video stream from 4k to 1080P is the problem.

Youtube is streamimng to me at about 35Mb/s, so will never be quite as good as the 100Mb/s data from the original file on SD card.
2019-6-24
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-24 04:36
"As an aside, I still don't know how to upload videos to Youtube so that they don't get downgraded and show what I'll call the smearing affect you see on the roadway surface."

I viewed your video @4k on my 4k monitor, and it looked good. However when youtube is set to 1080P the image degraded when seen on my 4k monitor. It looks as though YouTube resizing the video stream from 4k to 1080P is the problem.

Thanks for the info.  I guess I rarely change the youtube settings on quality.  It does look better.

The reason that I did not cut out the "pause" then I was tightening the mounting for the camera is that my editing tools and export do mess with the quality and lead to even more of what I call "smearing".   

Until the M2Zoom and now the action camera, I've never had reason to edit video.  In the past, I created dvd slide shows of digital photos and played with zooming and panning those individual images.  So video editing is an entirely new ballgame.  And I'm not quite sure I want to spend more of my retirement income on upgraded computers (g)

2019-6-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The footage is very steady, no problems there, footage shown on this forum renders to something as low as 360p so you lose uploading to YT and again to this forum .

I have noticed slightly better footage when uploading in 1080p to Vimeo .
2019-6-24
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 6-24 07:38
The footage is very steady, no problems there, footage shown on this forum renders to something as low as 360p so you lose uploading to YT and again to this forum .

I have noticed slightly better footage when uploading in 1080p to Vimeo .

Yes, I think it is quite steady.  As I wrote, it was only after the fact that I noticed the brake/shift lever really shaking that I decided to post this video showing the Action really dampening the motion.  

I might post another from the same ride where I ride into and out of shadow a bunch and I think the camera does a really decent job of adjusting.  I noticed one comment to your car stability video commenting about that and the license plate legibility.  
2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very nice test. Thanks for sharing.
2019-6-26
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-28
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 6-24 04:36
"As an aside, I still don't know how to upload videos to Youtube so that they don't get downgraded and show what I'll call the smearing affect you see on the roadway surface."

I viewed your video @4k on my 4k monitor, and it looked good. However when youtube is set to 1080P the image degraded when seen on my 4k monitor. It looks as though YouTube resizing the video stream from 4k to 1080P is the problem.

aardvark, how do I find the 4K option ?

I only see upto  1080 ?

2019-6-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 6-30 04:47
aardvark, how do I find the 4K option ?

I only see upto  1080 ?

This is what I see using latest windows 10 and Edge browser:
4k choice - Copy.png
2019-6-30
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-30 16:14

I reopened in Edge with Win10.  I, too, only see the 1080 option at the top.  But maybe my video card and monitor limit what can be seen?  Is that info available to youtube when I'm on their site?  
2019-6-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-30 18:02
I reopened in Edge with Win10.  I, too, only see the 1080 option at the top.  But maybe my video card and monitor limit what can be seen?  Is that info available to youtube when I'm on their site?

"But maybe my video card"

That might well be the limiting factor, the edge browser uses the graphics card GPU to give best performance.
2019-7-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-30 18:02
I reopened in Edge with Win10.  I, too, only see the 1080 option at the top.  But maybe my video card and monitor limit what can be seen?  Is that info available to youtube when I'm on their site?

Could I ask you to check some information please ?

When you look at 'About' in the 'Settings' screen on your Osmo Action, what do you see in the brackets for 'Firmware Version' ?

i.e    where it shows V01.03.00.10 (xxxx) what number do you see in the brackets ?

I am now having same problem as before with my replacement Osmo Action, where it seems to have reverted to previous firmware.

2019-7-1
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 6-30 16:14

aardvark, thanks for the reply.  So managed to find the problem and in fact its trying to view a 4K youtube video on the Mac.  USING safari or the youtube app its not possible .

However it is by using Google CHROME and I can now see the 4K version !

So thanks to your comment I have now discovered the wonderful world of 4K youtube video's
2019-7-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 7-1 12:22
aardvark, thanks for the reply.  So managed to find the problem and in fact its trying to view a 4K youtube video on the Mac.  USING safari or the youtube app its not possible .

However it is by using Google CHROME and I can now see the 4K version !

"However it is by using Google CHROME and I can now see the 4K version !"

It's interesting that you say that, I seem to remember in a not too distant past version of Win 10 I could only view 4k in Chrome. But all seems well now with latest version (Win 10 update just last week or so).

It's good to hear all is now working for you, I would also recommend a 4k monitor if you've not got :-)
2019-7-1
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-1 09:33
Could I ask you to check some information please ?

When you look at 'About' in the 'Settings' screen on your Osmo Action, what do you see in the brackets for 'Firmware Version' ?

01.03.00.10(6460) - I don't remember what it should be!

Do you have some special powers? (g)
2019-7-1
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-1 17:39
01.03.00.10(6460) - I don't remember what it should be!

Do you have some special powers? (g)

"Do you have some special powers? (g)"

Not in particular, call it 'sods law', the "Why me ?" syndrome (everything has to have a label nowadays :-) )

The interesting bit is that my 'About' on device displays 01.03.00.10(6009), the 6009  is the specific number associated with the first build, i.e. V01.01.00.20(6009) which is what it displayed before updated.

Thank you for the info'.
2019-7-1
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-1 23:58
"Do you have some special powers? (g)"

Not in particular, call it 'sods law', the "Why me ?" syndrome (everything has to have a label nowadays :-) )

I posted my speculation in your other thread.  ODD for sure.  
2019-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules