Rode Videomic Connection
1085 10 2019-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
key1979
lvl.1
United States

Help...I am not good at this at all.  I've been trying to hook up a rode videomic with my Osmo Pocket but I can't figure it out.  I've searched through a ton of youtube videos and it won't work.  How do I do it?
2019-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day key1979. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best information from our valued DJI members who uses the Rode Videomicrophone on there DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you.
2019-6-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi.
Unless you have the DJI audio adaptor you won't get any mic to work with the Osmo Pocket.
If you do have the DJI audio adaptor then I would suggest not using a powered mic unless it has a +20dbm gain switch on it. Do not use anything that has a TRRS connector but uses a TRS one. The mic should preferably be able to take a 3v to a 5v power supply and have a good SNR.
2019-6-23
Use props
key1979
lvl.1
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-23 14:29
Hi.
Unless you have the DJI audio adaptor you won't get any mic to work with the Osmo Pocket.
If you do have the DJI audio adaptor then I would suggest not using a powered mic unless it has a +20dbm gain switch on it. Do not use anything that has a TRRS connector but uses a TRS one. The mic should preferably be able to take a 3v to a 5v power supply and have a good SNR.

I bought the DJI audio adapter but I am not sure what cord to use to connect it to the Osmo Pocket.  The cord I am using doesn't work.  What is the correct cord to make it work? Thanks!
2019-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

key1979 Posted at 6-25 10:41
I bought the DJI audio adapter but I am not sure what cord to use to connect it to the Osmo Pocket.  The cord I am using doesn't work.  What is the correct cord to make it work? Thanks!

Sorry but I don't quite understand what you mean by 'cord'. The audio adaptor plugs directly into the base of the Osmo Pocket. From there the mic must have a 3.5mm stereo jack plug with just a tip (T) ring (R) and shield (S) configuration. 3.5mm jacks with two rings can't be used.

[EDIT / Added]
Sorry, I just noticed the title.

If it is the standard Rhode video mic, it doesn't seem to have a powerful enough output to work well with the audio adaptor. The Rhode video mic Pro will work at the +20db gain setting with the Osmo Pocket setting at auto.

2019-6-25
Use props
col4bin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 86224 ft
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-23 14:29
Hi.
If you do have the DJI audio adaptor then I would suggest not using a powered mic unless it has a +20dbm gain switch on it. Do not use anything that has a TRRS connector but uses a TRS one. The mic should preferably be able to take a 3v to a 5v power supply and have a good SNR.

Can you recommend a good general purpose mic that will not break the bank?  Thank you in advance.
2019-6-25
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

col4bin Posted at 6-25 17:28
Can you recommend a good general purpose mic that will not break the bank?  Thank you in advance.

There have been a few recommendations on the forum with various mics that people say have worked. I'm currently evaluating a Saramonic SR-XM1 which is about £20 from Amazon. It's small, mono, the top end doesn't quite match the internal mics and I have to be careful not to introduce handling noises when recording but with the right windshield I can cut down some wind noise and front to rear noise rejection is better than the internal mics. Maybe a bit too directional depending on the requirements of the shoot.
I will be building my own using capsules recommended by David Harry on this forum for use later as I've yet to find a mic small enough to go with the Osmo Pocket that fits both my size and performance requirements. My Rhode Video Pro mic works ok but is a bit too large and produces a very slight hiss when very quiet.
2019-6-26
Use props
key1979
lvl.1
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-26 06:13
There have been a few recommendations on the forum with various mics that people say have worked. I'm currently evaluating a Saramonic SR-XM1 which is about £20 from Amazon. It's small, mono, the top end doesn't quite match the internal mics and I have to be careful not to introduce handling noises when recording but with the right windshield I can cut down some wind noise and front to rear noise rejection is better than the internal mics. Maybe a bit too directional depending on the requirements of the shoot.
I will be building my own using capsules recommended by David Harry on this forum for use later as I've yet to find a mic small enough to go with the Osmo Pocket that fits both my size and performance requirements. My Rhode Video Pro mic works ok but is a bit too large and produces a very slight hiss when very quiet.

Thanks for the info...I have the DJI adapter attached to the Osmo Pocket, a 3.5MM TRS jack attached to a Rode Videomic Me.  For some reason this setup won't work for me.  I am getting no audio at all in my videos.
2019-6-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

key1979 Posted at 6-26 10:03
Thanks for the info...I have the DJI adapter attached to the Osmo Pocket, a 3.5MM TRS jack attached to a Rode Videomic Me.  For some reason this setup won't work for me.  I am getting no audio at all in my videos.

Doesn't the Rhode VideoMic ME have a TRRS connector? I can't find one listed with a TRS connector.
Don't use TRRS terminated mics with the Osmo Audio adapter. They will not work. They may damage the audio adapter.
2019-6-26
Use props
key1979
lvl.1
United States

I tried the trrs to trs connector too and that still didn't work.  
2019-6-26
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

key1979 Posted at 6-26 12:43
I tried the trrs to trs connector too and that still didn't work.

No, they won't. Those adapters are meant for headphone conversion, not microphones. What normally happens is the converter shorts the mic out.
2019-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules