New vs old Osmo Pocket
5911 26 2019-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I decided to buy a new Osmo Pocket as the scratches on the lens were driving me crazy (sold the old one half price. Unfortunately that’s how much DJI is asking to replace the lens cover).
The new owner has no issues with it (friend of mine) so everyone is happy.

There are a few differences, some subtle and some very obvious. So far I can only make assumptions regarding the changes but regarding picture quality I didn’t saw any difference at all. If any, in my parallel testing, the new version has slightly more contrast.

- 1st thing one can notice is the change in the packaging. The older was more premium and definitely protected further during shipping. The new one has no molded insert or styrofoam.
- The biggest difference is the lens coating color (new is yellow, old is magenta). I don’t know if this is affecting the minimal change in contrast I noticed and/or hopefully improving the scratch resistance of the OP.
- The SD card slot is tighter and inserting the card needs more effort. Haven’t heard of any lose SD card springs or anything but it could be the case.
- The Lightning connector is also much more difficult to remove and insert. Perhaps the unit is very new or the attachment was becoming lose in the original model.
- The plastic used in the body is slightly smoother, the rougher plastic used on the original OP feels better and will definitely hide micro abrasions better.
- Talking about feeling, taping the back of the Osmo Pocket makes a more hollow ‘plastic’ sound. The difference is very subtle but again, makes the new unit feel a liiiitle cheaper (this is probably a coincidence or a variation during the assembly process).- Another obvious difference is the led light is dimmer in the new unit. Not so easy to see in bright light but more discrete when filming. This could also be my luck, I don’t know lol.
- Closing, the rubber material where the buttons are, has a darker color to it, the original is anthracite.

That’s all. I really hope that the changes are improving some of the characteristics of the Osmo Pocket and not cutting corners. Time will tell...

84EAD48D-7FF4-4307-9088-A8C18405A58C.jpeg
65AD7ED6-45B8-4A67-92F3-6357E4D02C3C.jpeg
6E81A25C-D7B0-46D4-BDB7-C31AEB3BE73D.jpeg
2D879232-B146-4DEF-917C-851EB40BDDEC.jpeg
D0AF09BE-9A8A-41DF-BD9A-1FA013EE9DF5.jpeg
2019-6-23
Use props
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

Nice comparison, I'm intrigued about the lens coating change.
2019-6-23
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

The_Pedro Posted at 6-23 12:17
Nice comparison, I'm intrigued about the lens coating change.

Eu também, não vejo nenhuma diferença até agora. Um abraço.
2019-6-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day El Diabolico. Thank you for reaching out and sharing this information with us. The DJI Osmo Pocket has a new packing and lens coating. But rest assured that these changes will not affect the performance of the DJI Osmo Pocket when in use. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-6-23
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-23 12:45
Hello and good day El Diabolico. Thank you for reaching out and sharing this information with us. The DJI Osmo Pocket has a new packing and lens coating. But rest assured that these changes will not affect the performance of the DJI Osmo Pocket when in use. Thank you for your valued support.

I Stephen, thank you for your feedback. I was just wondering if the new coating is harder...
2019-6-23
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Hi, please take a photo in raw and open it in photoshop, check the white balance to see the green-magenta slider, is it now more towards magenta or green? The old one is always towards magenta since the coating avoid much magenta into the sensor, I guess now it would towards green since the coating looks green in the picture?
2019-6-23
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Yellow is lighter than magenta, reflecting yellow will reduce more light into sensor so the new OP image will look darker and give you  a sense of better contrast.
However the good news is yellow coating is thicker than magenta coating, it will be more resistant.
2019-6-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

Cool h Posted at 6-23 16:53
Yellow is lighter than magenta, reflecting yellow will reduce more light into sensor so the new OP image will look darker and give you  a sense of better contrast.
However the good news is yellow coating is thicker than magenta coating, it will be more resistant.

Wonder if that will make a difference in low light performance.
2019-6-23
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Tide Posted at 6-23 17:17
Wonder if that will make a difference in low light performance.
Therotically it will, lets see how brighter the lense reflected compare to the old one, at the lower left corner it almost reflect white light, that is a lot of light being block out.
If El Diabolico can do a test in extremly low light condition and compare the noise level we will see if it really does not affect the performance at all.
In his magenta coating photo you can see the rings around the lense CLEARLLY but the yellow coating those rings are hard to see. That should also affect the details the sensor could capture.
2019-6-23
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Very nice comparison, thanks a lot...
2019-6-24
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Cool h Posted at 6-23 18:31
Therotically it will, lets see how brighter the lense reflected compare to the old one, at the lower left corner it almost reflect white light, that is a lot of light being block out.
If El Diabolico can do a test in extremly low light condition and compare the noise level we will see if it really does not affect the performance at all.
In his magenta coating photo you can see the rings around the lense CLEARLLY but the yellow coating those rings are hard to see. That should also affect the details the sensor could capture.

Friend I would love to but you will have to wait a few days. I literally just came home from the hospital, had my tore biceps repaired a few hours ago...

But I will do the test as soon as I am allowed!
Ps. The tint on the RAW photos or D-Cinelike shouldn’t be an issue while editing unless one wants to stay in Normal or Auto modes.
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

CemAygun Posted at 6-24 00:15
Very nice comparison, thanks a lot...

You are welcome sir.
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

maddox Posted at 6-24 05:52
Thanks for sharing

You’re very welcome
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Cool h Posted at 6-23 16:53

Actually and from my experience as a photographer, Yellow coatings benefit the transmission of blue color and Purple the transmission of green light.

In addition, yellow coatings trend to be single coated while purple or blue, multicoated. That’s why I am worried about cutting corners...
2019-6-24
Use props
Mr Monio
lvl.4

Ireland

Harder or not, I'd still put a UV filter on the new unit right out of the box.
2019-6-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2019-6-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I didn't even know there were different versions.  At least they are making sorts of changes to their products.
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Mr Monio Posted at 6-24 06:36
Harder or not, I'd still put a UV filter on the new unit right out of the box.

The problem seems to be when leaving any filter on that because the Osmo Pocket lies face down in the case, the weight of the device alone puts enough pressure into it to eventually scratch the coating...
2019-6-24
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Neo Supreme Posted at 6-24 06:55
I didn't even know there were different versions.  At least they are making sorts of changes to their products.

Silent upgrades like in the automotive industry.

DJI doesn’t recognize publicly that there’s an issue so they don’t need to issue a formal recall but they improve a product without advertising it so the next generation of customers isn’t complaining ;)
2019-6-24
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

El Diabolico Posted at 6-24 07:13
Silent upgrades like in the automotive industry.

DJI doesn’t recognize publicly that there’s an issue so they don’t need to issue a formal recall but they improve a product without advertising it so the next generation of customers isn’t complaining ;)

Very true.
2019-6-24
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

looks like I got a newer version
2019-6-24
Use props
The_Pedro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

El Diabolico Posted at 6-23 12:33
Eu também, não vejo nenhuma diferença até agora. Um abraço.

Outro de volta!
2019-6-24
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Taiwan

El Diabolico Posted at 6-24 06:20
Friend I would love to but you will have to wait a few days. I literally just came home from the hospital, had my tore biceps repaired a few hours ago...

But I will do the test as soon as I am allowed!

Take care and wish you recover well and then enjoy the new pocket!
2019-6-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great to know, nice information
2019-6-25
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Cool h Posted at 6-24 15:30
Take care and wish you recover well and then enjoy the new pocket!

Thanks man, appreciate it
2019-6-26
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

El Diabolico Posted at 6-24 06:24
You’re very welcome

No problem mate
2019-6-26
Use props
Advanced