Crash story told in pictures - can you tell what went wrong?
769 8 2019-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_OdJWqCtNGy1B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114419 ft
United States

I pushed my Spark to max height (c. 400 ft) and tried to send it as far as I could out over my heavily wooded property.  At 2000 ft horizontal distance I lost connection.  RTH did not happen.

I used Find My Drone to get close enough to see the lights.  I was off trail on steep wooded slopes.  Just as I was about to give up I saw a steady firefly light up out of the corner of my eye.  Fireflies weren't due to come out for a couple of hours, and this one was staying lit for extended durations before blinking.  It was one of the yellow LEDs on my Spark.  

My Spark's name?  Lightning Bug.

Anyway, I wasn't rolling video; I was doing 2-sec interval shots so I could zoom later on.  I am going to link the photos surrounding the time of the crash.  Any ideas?

Photo story of crash in Google Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Gsy8t9VPw65gtEFA
Here is what bit of flight data I captured:
https://app.airdata.com/share/BNCQDn

I didn't realize that one of the props was missing until after coming down off the mountain.  I changed out all my props with spares and my Spark seems to fly as normal.

Two days before on a similar flight a red-tailed hawk did take a swoop at my Spark when it was about 200 ft high, but this time I was near 400 ft.   I saw no sign of the hawk today, but the Spark was out of sight when I lost signal so I might have missed witnessing a second, more successful, avian assualt.  I hope no hawks were injured.

2019-6-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Quick guess, by picture 4, 5 and 6:
Your bird got attacked by another bird
2019-6-23
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Weird to see pic 4,5, and 6 indication drone spinning around, wich is not seen in the flightlog.
So guess the pictures were taken after the last recorderd dataline in the log.

2019-6-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Spark ( Lightning Bug ) and thank you for sharing these information with us on what happened with your previous flight. If in the future you feel that Lightning Bug is not working properly. Please try to contact our support team for us to be able to help you further at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to help you and corresponding resolution would be provided. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-24
Use props
Slick1215
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239091 ft
United States

wow, you are super lucky to find your Lightning Bug!!!! I call mine Grey Eagle and almost lost it in the gulf!!! super bright and accidentally pressed land instead of RTH!!! Trust me I went into panic mode!!! Immediately cancelling Landing and pressing correctly RTH. whew that was close. Never do that again...I was up about 100 feet so had time to react but when you hear that "landing now"
2019-6-24
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

In manned sport rotocraft when I was young, they would preach to us, "If you don't want to land on it, don't fly over it."
2019-6-24
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Slick1215 Posted at 6-24 09:38
wow, you are super lucky to find your Lightning Bug!!!! I call mine Grey Eagle and almost lost it in the gulf!!! super bright and accidentally pressed land instead of RTH!!! Trust me I went into panic mode!!! Immediately cancelling Landing and pressing correctly RTH. whew that was close. Never do that again...I was up about 100 feet so had time to react but when you hear that "landing now"

this mistake happens....i only only press RTH on the conroller, never in the app!
2019-6-24
Use props
djiuser_OdJWqCtNGy1B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 114419 ft
United States

I have a question: is the hardware RTH button on the controller a toggle, or is it idempotent (as we say in Computer Science).  

That is, while it toggle between activating and canceling RTH with repeated presses, or do repeated presses only "reaffirm" the RTH action?  I guess I could do some tests in a safe area, but it's storming today.

2019-6-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_OdJWqCtNGy1B Posted at 6-24 13:20
I have a question: is the hardware RTH button on the controller a toggle, or is it idempotent (as we say in Computer Science).  

That is, while it toggle between activating and canceling RTH with repeated presses, or do repeated presses only "reaffirm" the RTH action?  I guess I could do some tests in a safe area, but it's storming today.

It starts and it stops it
2019-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules