Been over a year since I've flown
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Hi Folks. The last time I flew was last summer when I programmed it to fly around a lake. So actually, I haven't flown it manually. Tonight I flew for the first time in what seems like years. I was landing on top of my car, moving left when it should be right, going up and down. I had to stop and let it hover so I can figure out my coordinates. It's going to take a while to get my bearings back. I do have a few questions:

1. Do I need a new update? I haven't had any sort of updates in a long time. Should I get one?
2. I noticed one of my generic battery had an error on the Litchi screen. I'm not sure what that means. Anyway to find out for sure?
3. One of my other generic batteries (I bought them 2+ years ago) is slightly bulging. I flew it for 20 minutes. I took it out because it was low and noticed the small lump. Should I toss it? How long are they supposed to last anyway?

Thanks-
2019-6-24
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Landing on top of your car ?  A big lump of metal (maybe plastic !!?)  Is it wise to land there ?
"Moving left when it should be right" ??  Are you landing with the drone facing away from you - it'd be advisable if you are a bit rusty on the controls.

2019-6-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Maybe go back to beginner mode for a while.
2019-6-25
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 6-25 03:16

Maybe also "revisit" the flight simulator mode on the GO app too?
2019-6-25
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 6-25 03:16

Maybe he could also revisit the "Flight Simulator" on the GO app for a little practice.
2019-6-25
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
United States

Appreciate the wise crack. I'm sure I deserve it. It's going to take some time to get used to flying again. I'm sure I will pick it up fast. I do still need answers on the questions I posed though...
2019-6-25
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

1. Do I need a new update? I haven't had any sort of updates in a long time. Should I get one?
A new update isn't going to make the aircraft fly any more or less stable.  What firmware do you have now?  Landing on a car is a bad idea, it acts like a giant magnet, and what do you suppose will happen to the compass in the aircraft that you are relying upon for navigation?  You might see it move in the opposite direction from what you expect because it is being influenced by the large metallic mass.

2. I noticed one of my generic battery had an error on the Litchi screen. I'm not sure what that means. Anyway to find out for sure?
What did it say?  It could be anything.

3. One of my other generic batteries (I bought them 2+ years ago) is slightly bulging. I flew it for 20 minutes. I took it out because it was low and noticed the small lump. Should I toss it? How long are they supposed to last anyway?
In my experience, generic lithium batteries such as those found in power banks and phone battery replacements are pretty ordinary quality-wise.  If they aren't used for a while or stored improperly charged (e.g. fully charged or fully depleted) they will tend to swell.
How "slightly" is it bulging?  I probably wouldn't be too worried with a slight bulge, provided I can get it to insert and extract from the aircraft without dragging and scraping the outer package.  Any bulge probably isn't a good thing, and is a sign that there is cell damage and things will get worse from here.  Some might suggest you retire it and use it for bench testing only, and use good batteries for flight.  Do you really want to chance flying an expensive product using sub-standard components with the potential to fail/catch fire?  The problem with reserving them for bench testing only is that you will do that very infrequently, leading to further lack of use and potentially more swelling.  You need to get into the habit of fully charging them all every six months or so of sitting idle or of being in storage.  Intelligent batteries will self-discharge to a safe level for storage.The "life" of them is pretty variable, it depends on how frequently they were used, how hard they were flown and how quickly they were discharged, etc.  Good quality batteries should last some time.  Much like laptop batteries, I have seen them die after a couple of years, but others are still going pretty strong many years later.  The genuine Phantom batteries (and possibly generics) should have a self-reporting/diagnostic mode where they tell you the number of charge cycles and estimated capacity remaining.  I think the answer is that they are good to go until they aren't.  Not a precise answer but there you have it.
2019-6-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

My experience with bulging or swollen batteries is they may want to auto-land prematurely.  For example, I have one that wants to auto-land at 29%.  I don't fly with it anymore.  In fact, I don't fly with bulging batteries anymore at all.  MHO

Good luck

2019-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

If its flying correct - then why fix wot aint broke. There is absolutely no need to update if you don't want to.

What did it say ?

As another says - if it inserts and extracts - I have one that needs a bit of persuasion to go in due to very slight swelling - and it flies ok ... then no need to dump. But maybe good idea not to use it for risky flights ...
As to how long they last - that's like asking how long is a piece of string. It all depends on your frequency of flying ... how low you take the packs before landing ... how you store ... so many factors. For an average owner maybe flying 3 - 4x a week ... landing out at between 30 and 45% ... storing 30 - 50% ... I think a life of maybe 3yrs + is not unreasonable ?
2019-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules