mp4 files incompatible with imovie when importing from icloud drive
11277 7 2019-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bmc_rckid
lvl.1
United States

My son saved up for many months to get this Osmo Action to mount on his Traxxas RC rock crawler (he has a YouTube channel). Up until now, he was using an older ipad mini 2 to video and imovie to edit and upload to YT. He loves the Osmo Action, but we didn't realize there would be so many issues simply getting these files into imovie. The ipad only has 1-2GB free, clearly not have enough storage for these large video files, and my computer is an older pc with no video editing software. He doesn't have any $$ left to spend on a new ipad, macbook or pc video editor. I thought the easiest solution would be putting all the mp4 files into icloud drive, and importing into imovie to edit. When trying to import the mp4 files from icloud Drive into imovie, we get this message: "Scanning complete. This mp4 file cannot be used by imovie." No matter the file size, this happens. What is further perplexing is that I CAN import the same mp4 file directly from My Photos into imovie with no problem. If there was enough space on the ipad, we would simply go this route. Any idea what is causing this import problem from icloud drive? His current settings are 1080p and 60fps. At first he was recording at 4K, but those files were too big to use & I was told unnecessary since uploading to YT. Thanks for any help.
2019-6-25
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

What about a care reader that work with the fruit thingy ? i know some users of dashcams have that to go with their fruit phone, but on idea if that will work as it don't change the little free space of the devise.
I would say just put the memory card in the tablet, but thats too advanced / mush to ask for that brand,,,,,,, i have a 256 GB card in my cheap china phone,,,,, pretty much just there for keeping as the 32 GB of the phone itself are more than enough for me.
2019-6-25
Use props
Jimmy Singh
lvl.3
United States

To me it sounds like iPad import issue from iCloud not Osmo Action issue. Possibly due to file size. iOS reserve some space for it's OS expansions. This could be the reason why it is not importing. You night want to make some free space or try very small clip
2019-6-26
Use props
bmc_rckid
lvl.1
United States

Jimmy Singh Posted at 6-26 18:11
To me it sounds like iPad import issue from iCloud not Osmo Action issue. Possibly due to file size. iOS reserve some space for it's OS expansions. This could be the reason why it is not importing. You night want to make some free space or try very small clip

Thank you, Jimmy. I think you are right. We have had that problem before (unable to export movie to YT when there is not enough free space on ipad). I have determined that the import issue from icloud drive to imovie is exclusive to the ipad, as we went through the same import process on an iphone 6 w similar ios and it worked fine.
2019-6-27
Use props
bmc_rckid
lvl.1
United States

peiter Posted at 6-25 18:14
What about a care reader that work with the fruit thingy ? i know some users of dashcams have that to go with their fruit phone, but on idea if that will work as it don't change the little free space of the devise.
I would say just put the memory card in the tablet, but thats too advanced / mush to ask for that brand,,,,,,, i have a 256 GB card in my cheap china phone,,,,, pretty much just there for keeping as the 32 GB of the phone itself are more than enough for me.

He did buy an apple card reader w lightning adapter and that is what he uses to import movies into My Photos, and then icloud drive. That solved that issue, but not the space. Yeah, sure wish there was an option to add more memory to the ipad. We did determine it is an issue w the ipad only, as the process worked on iphone 6 with similar ios.
2019-6-27
Use props
B_Gears
lvl.2
United States

Have you tried changing the file extension from mp4 to mov. I do this all the time when editing videos using iMovie. It save the files as .mp4 and I change them to .mov so Quicktime Player can play them.
2019-7-2
Use props
bmc_rckid
lvl.1
United States

B_Gears Posted at 7-2 05:39
Have you tried changing the file extension from mp4 to mov. I do this all the time when editing videos using iMovie. It save the files as .mp4 and I change them to .mov so Quicktime Player can play them.

Sorry for late reply, we were out of town. I had him change the file type to mov when he recorded a video (instead of trying to figure out how to change it after the fact), and the results were the same.
2019-7-20
Use props
Henry Jacky
lvl.1

United States

MP4 is a container video format which may include various video or audio codec. iMovie supports MP4 with H.264/MPEG-4 video codec and AAC audio format.

If MP4 is with other video or audio codec, it will not be supported by iMovie,

In this case, it is better to convert MP4 to iMovie more supported MP4 or MOV
with the help of iDealshare VideoGo.
2020-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules