Dropped from the sky for no reason
1503 14 2019-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duke56
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1761844 ft
United States

Weird. The .txt and .dat file in the link below. Put the Zoom up, was no more than 720 ft away I lost video on my CS. I lost sight of it, hard to pick it back up once you look down at the CS dealing with the transmission drop. Message came up "lost video transmission, RTH in progress" or something close to that. I raised the drone up over 200 ft to be sure it didn't run in to anything. Still couldn't pick up a visual. finally I heard it above me. Looked up and I could see it as it announced it was landing. Suddenly, it just dropped to the ground with no warning.  Never got an error message on my screen other than the transmission lost. Never regained video link on my CS as it approached me. Drone is a total loss. I had flown the drone both Saturday and Sunday prior with no issues. Only thing different this time was updated the no fly database before take off.

Hoping someone can tell me what the logs show happened. I don't think it's pilot error but you guys tell me. I'll upload pictures of the drone, it's not pretty. I do have DJI refresh so opened a claim. Second link is the video file off the sd card. I can't get it to play.

Thanks for any help you can give.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13UFJ1GN7cJekpl8fbl_7NuNuTCv_-QhR

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aabkYZ7M6f68-4UJ_jTNLJudQNvfaptu
2019-6-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Duke56, we are so sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, the shipping label should have been sent to you, please send in the drone at your most convenience and our data analysis will do their best to figure out what happened.
2019-6-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hiya,

Sorry for your loss, hard to explain what happend.

But the batt cell voltage readings / recordings in the log stopped somehow....Guess at the end the software missed good reading, thus thinking no or too low voltage present, thus motors stopped.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-6-26
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 6-26 04:13
Hiya,

Sorry for your loss, hard to explain what happend.

Battery was at 90% +.  Flight was all of maybe 3 minutes.  Other than the transmission error I received no other errors or warnings.  Last I saw it in the air it was above me beginning to descend from RTH.  Then suddenly, SPLAT.  Fell to the ground like a brick.
2019-6-26
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-26 03:37
Hi Duke56, we are so sorry for the crash accident, I managed to get your case number via your Forum account, the shipping label should have been sent to you, please send in the drone at your most convenience and our data analysis will do their best to figure out what happened.

Thanks DJI Mindy.  I printed the label and will send it out ASAP.  You can see the log files I linked to this post right?  I uploaded them when I started my claim so they should be able to analyze  what happened correct?
2019-6-26
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Someone in another forum posted this based on my flight logs:  He says "at that mark 110.8 it seems your IMU 1 has died. then, at the end of what .dat shows - no more data is there and altitude is 50m.
to add - this to me says that flight controller hanged or died at that point
"

2019-6-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Duke56 Posted at 6-26 08:14
Thanks DJI Mindy.  I printed the label and will send it out ASAP.  You can see the log files I linked to this post right?  I uploaded them when I started my claim so they should be able to analyze  what happened correct?

I have attached the link in the case, the team will make the data analysis when the drone arrives.
2019-6-26
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Here is a link to the pics of my poor M2Z:

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 5-fPERtEV3ZCcwLXGQZ
2019-6-27
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

My M2Z is on it's way to DJI.  May she rest in peace.
2019-6-28
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Just got the reply from DJI repair center.  My M2Z will replaced under warranty.  Some things work out the way they're supposed to.
2019-7-8
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Just got the reply from DJI repair center.  My M2Z will be replaced under warranty.  Some things work out the way they're supposed to.
2019-7-8
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

I was able to fix the corrupt video file from my crash using an android app (mp4fix). Nothing remarkable in the footage. It stopped recording after 3:43 or right at the time I lost video transmission. I can view the video in it's entirety in the app but must pay $5.99 if I want to save it.

Meanwhile, I have a delivery date of 7/15 for my new M2Z. I'm going to fire up my Spark this weekend. Only flown it once since I purchased my M2Z back in September. I purchased a cable adapter (USB A to USB Micro) to use my Crystal Sky with my Spark. After flying my M2Z, the Spark is like flying in slow motion. Still fun to fly.
2019-7-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Just use a screen recorder program/app to record the video.
Save yourself 6 bucks.
2019-7-10
Use props
Duke56
lvl.4
United States

Received my M2Z from DJI repair yesterday as scheduled.  Just the bird wrapped in bubble wrap and packing paper.  Looks like the same box I shipped my damaged drone in.  Stickers protecting the vents and a new gimbal guard as I sent it without the gimbal guard.  Quickly discarded it, I'm using the Polar Pro gimbal guard.  Placed the original crash battery in the drone and fired it up.  Had to bind it to my remote which was pretty easy.  Also activate it thru the Go 4 app.  Firmware was up to date.  Just had to update the NFZ database.  Replaced the props that were on the drone when it crashed with new props.  Old props didn't look bad but you never know after a crash that hard.  Rather not take any chances.  Installed a sticker with my FAA number on the body.

Went thru the app checking all my settings.  Checked the battery in the app to see if anything unusual appeared as it did take quite a tumble in the crash.  I've been checking it from time to time for any signs of swelling but appears to have survived the crash unharmed.  

Did everything I would do before a flight and it all checked out ok.  Was going to fly it today after work but it's going to be extremely hot so I will wait until Saturday morning.  Glad to have my bird back and Saturday can't get here soon enough.

One question perhaps one of the Mods can answer.  Will DJI transfer my DJI Refresh to the new serial number on this drone?
2019-7-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Duke56 Posted at 7-16 03:12
Received my M2Z from DJI repair yesterday as scheduled.  Just the bird wrapped in bubble wrap and packing paper.  Looks like the same box I shipped my damaged drone in.  Stickers protecting the vents and a new gimbal guard as I sent it without the gimbal guard.  Quickly discarded it, I'm using the Polar Pro gimbal guard.  Placed the original crash battery in the drone and fired it up.  Had to bind it to my remote which was pretty easy.  Also activate it thru the Go 4 app.  Firmware was up to date.  Just had to update the NFZ database.  Replaced the props that were on the drone when it crashed with new props.  Old props didn't look bad but you never know after a crash that hard.  Rather not take any chances.  Installed a sticker with my FAA number on the body.

Went thru the app checking all my settings.  Checked the battery in the app to see if anything unusual appeared as it did take quite a tumble in the crash.  I've been checking it from time to time for any signs of swelling but appears to have survived the crash unharmed.  

Hi Duke56, glad to know you have received the drone, DJI Care Refresh has been transferred to the replacement, please check the status here: https://repair.dji.com/en/djicare/coverage
2019-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules