Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Action Battery Charging on Vacation? (No retailers stocking bat)
670 5 2019-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulgreeny83
lvl.1
United States

Hi,

Just bought the Osmo Action, going to Hawaii on Friday, only have one battery and desperately need more.  NO ONE stocks the battery yet, even Amazon only has overseas retailers which will be delivered some time in 2024. B&H etc. will take over a week to deliver, I leave in 48 hours.  There used to be an official DJI store near me in Costa Mesa, CA (the only one in the State I think), and it closed within 6 months.  

I have this USB power bank:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01191S0VY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That delivers 2.4A via USB, plugged it into the camera and it shows as charging, but charge % doesn't progress, so i'm not sure if it's sufficient V's/A's.

Anyone have any ideas?  Any power bank you know works I can buy from Amazon for next day delivery?  I have some once in a lifetime things planned on this trip and without spare battery's, i'm going to miss most of the moments I want to capture (Videographer with Mavic drone too).

Thanks for the help guys.
2019-6-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need in regard to the power-bank that you'll use. For additional information, it's recommended to fully charge the battery of the Osmo Action prior to use as the process that you would like to do might damage the battery of your unit. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-6-26
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Well, the online DJI store has had the batteries for about a week now but they ship from China so that probably won't work unless you ship to your vacation local.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-action-battery

But I ordered the charger kit and it seems to be held up in LA - maybe you can intercept it.

I suspect that a power bank that meets the charging specs should work.  Now, whether it charges the battery or can just run the camera without battery I don't know.  Either the manual or their FAQ's suggest the charger values (since they don't ship with a charger).  And, yes, you can run the Camera without a battery.  So try doing the power bank without battery.

Enjoy your trip and post results.
2019-6-26
Use props
KerryG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

We have been stocking the batteries for a couple of weeks
2019-7-3
Use props
MKosmo
lvl.4
United Kingdom

just a quick clarification, have you used the original dji charging lead direct to the power bank ?

also, the Osmo Action battery is 1300mAh, so charging current would normally be less than 1C ( 1.3A ) for battery life, in which case this charger may be too clever for its own good.

The power bank spec states it may not charge devices under 1A which is likely the case with the action.     I would suggest a cheaper power bank that is not intelligent however must be capable of delivering at least  1.5A

Good luck with getting one in time, thank goodness for Amazon prime !
2019-7-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I might be right in saying that the only time the camera displays the battery percentage charge is when it is switched on, or when the screen is taken out of standby, at both these moments it displays charge for a few seconds. Another alternative is to have camera powered up, plug in charger, and you will be able to monitor the charge percentage in DJI Mimo App'.

My camera charges on both the 1 Amp & 2.1 Amp USB outputs on a 10 A/Hr (10,000 mA/Hr, just makes it sound bigger ;-) ) power bank.
2019-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules