Compass Calibration Button Missing
6321 9 2019-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

I am new to drones, flying a Mavic 2 Pro, with smart controller.

I updated firmware for both just a few days ago.

When I go to Compass, the status at right is Normal, but there is no Calibrate button.

Tech support suggests to backup the the Smart Controller, then reset.

But with all new settings/firmware on new devices, I just wonder if there is another option to access Compass Calibration.

Could be pilot error on my part?

2019-6-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. The compass can be calibrated using the DJI GO 4 app by selecting the Aircraft status on the application. You may refer to the images below for your reference. You could also send us a video/photo of this situation wherein you don't have an option to compass calibration. Thank you for your support.

2019-6-27
Use props
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

2019-6-27
Use props
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

I see others have had the same issue. Some replies suggested the compass should not be calibrated if the app does not instruct to. One tutorial I saw suggested calibrating often. I'm new to this, so not sure what to do. If the devices were calibrated in China, and I'm in California, it would seem logical to re-calibrate. ???
2019-6-27
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Sky Chief Posted at 6-27 16:43
I see others have had the same issue. Some replies suggested the compass should not be calibrated if the app does not instruct to. One tutorial I saw suggested calibrating often. I'm new to this, so not sure what to do. If the devices were calibrated in China, and I'm in California, it would seem logical to re-calibrate. ???

Generally, it will ask if it needs to be calibrated.  It has done so each time I've fired up the drone after driving more than 50 or so miles and then on return home, too.  
2019-6-27
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

I see others have had the same issue. Some replies suggested the compass should not be calibrated if the app does not instruct to. One tutorial I saw suggested calibrating often. I'm new to this, so not sure what to do. If the devices were calibrated in China, and I'm in California, it would seem logical to re-calibrate. ???

If the app say its normal don't calibrate the compass.
If the app tell you to calibrate then open up the sensor page and move few meters
and see if it change. If it don't change anything calibrate the compass.
Don't try to fix what is not broken.
2019-6-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see others have had the same issue. Some replies suggested the compass should not be calibrated if the app does not instruct to. One tutorial I saw suggested calibrating often. I'm new to this, so not sure what to do. If the devices were calibrated in China, and I'm in California, it would seem logical to re-calibrate. ???

That 'compass button' you are looking for is normally just a shortcut to the compass calibration routine within DJI Go 4, which can be found by navigating through the menus. I seem to remember there was one iteration of software where that could only be seen if the system requested calibration.

I would not calibrate the compass if the system does not request it. It should rarely, if ever, need to be redone.

I believe the compass calibration is not specifically to allow for changes as you move about the planet. What it does do however is check what allowance it needs to make in it's calculation for ferrous metals in the immediate vicinity of the compass. Basically anything which is part of the aircraft (or added), and the effects that might have on its reading of the Earths magnetic field. To all intents and purposes, for our short flights, magnetic North shouldn't change significantly enough to have much bearing at all on the flight.

What can happen however, and the risk is relatively high, is that a compass can be 'wrongly' calibrated. The aircraft has been close to some very localised ferrous object or magnetic interference (iron car parts, buried pipework, steel reinforced concrete, power lines etc) when calibration done.
This means that any offset added to the compass after calibration is completely wrong. The reading from the GPS when the aircraft starts moving  gives it a 'rough' idea of which direction it's travelling. If the compass reading is significantly different then there is a conflict between the data, this conflict will cause the aircraft to switch to 'ATTI mode' (attitude mode, where the aircrafts attitude will remain level, but it will not be able to keep position relative to ground and will drift with the wind).

It seems that in error, or by design, the newer software can request calibration more often than was the case in the past.

If the compass says 'Normal' then all is well, no calibration is needed.

That's my take on it anyway, and I believe it to be correct :-)

2019-6-28
Use props
Sky Chief
lvl.2

United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-28 00:57
That 'compass button' you are looking for is normally just a shortcut to the compass calibration routine within DJI Go 4, which can be found by navigating through the menus. I seem to remember there was one iteration of software where that could only be seen if the system requested calibration.

I would not calibrate the compass if the system does not request it. It should rarely, if ever, need to be redone.

Turns out you are correct!

The app requested calibration today & actually brought the calibration option forward. So it would seem that calibration is indeed only necessary when the app deems so.

Thanks for your help!
2019-6-28
Use props
djiuser_6R4NUdYprJ1e
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-6-27 16:06
Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience. The compass can be calibrated using the DJI GO 4 app by selecting the Aircraft status on the application. You may refer to the images below for your reference. You could also send us a video/photo of this situation wherein you don't have an option to compass calibration. Thank you for your support.

[view_image]

I do not have the option to calibrate, either. It just says "normal."
2020-2-7
Use props
fans65949fdd
New
United States

Yes this is great except when DJI requires you to show compass calibration in an Aircraft Verification Video.  If I cant show a manual calibration of the compass I can't demonstrate it in the video.
2020-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules