Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
5/8" Adapter for RTK Ground Station?
5566 24 2019-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EO&A
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone figured out an easy way to adapt the fitting on the RTK Ground Station to a standard 5/8" Coarse thread so you can use a real tripod with it? The DJI tripod must be made from recycled beer cans - I crushed it the second time out stomping the legs into some hard dirt.
2019-6-28
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

LMAO @ Recycled beer cans! It IS a flimsy POS isn't it?

So you're wanting to ditch the lower half of the pole (the "extension rod") and mount the upper half on a tripod? You're looking for a fitting to go from the male threads of the lower pole half to female 5/8" x 11tpi threads you can attach to the head screw on a tripod? Wouldn't it be better to mount it on a  a tri-brach?
2019-6-28
Use props
EOandA
lvl.1
United States

patiam Posted at 6-28 08:28
LMAO @ Recycled beer cans! It IS a flimsy POS isn't it?

So you're wanting to ditch the lower half of the pole (the "extension rod") and mount the upper half on a tripod? You're looking for a fitting to go from the male threads of the lower pole half to female 5/8" x 11tpi threads you can attach to the head screw on a tripod? Wouldn't it be better to mount it on a  a tri-brach?

Yep, that's exactly what I want to do. The brass puck that goes in the tribrach has 5/8" course threads for prisms, extensions, etc. I want an adapter to fit the funky fitting on the RTK Ground Station and the 5/8" course threads on the tribrach. Why didn't DJI build these for real surveyors?
2019-6-28
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Makes sense to me.

Basically DJI has only the tiniest of clues what survey gear and software should actually look like. When they decided to do the P4 RTK, they did minimal homework and slapped together a kit that they probably thought was good to go but any real surveyor laughs at.

It's too bad because they had a real chance to fill a niche and do a good job at it. But they decided to do it on the toy company side rather than the enterprise one (but with prices matching the latter), to everyone's detriment.

I only have access to our P4 RTK on a limited basis. But when I can I will see about figuring out what the threads are on the pole coupling. Then it would just be a matter of finding an existing or machining a new adapter to get to F 5/8"x11tpi...
2019-6-28
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

Hey All,

We looked at off the shelf reducers to get this to fit a 5/8 tribrach adapter and had zero luck.

We ended up getting a bunch of adapters machined at a cost of approximately $150 per adapter. Ouch.

But its a lot more accurate being able to use a tribrach for leveling and reducing the height of the pole when doing survey work so was worth it in our opinion.

Its not a standard thread on the DJI pole (because, of course it isn't).  At least not in Australia.

If you want photos of what we got made up, let me know.

Cheers,
2019-6-30
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI4Survey Posted at 6-30 20:30
Hey All,

We looked at off the shelf reducers to get this to fit a 5/8 tribrach adapter and had zero luck.

Thanks DJI4Survey! Love to see it!
2019-7-1
Use props
Dragline49
lvl.2
United States

DJI4Survey-

I would definitely be interested in getting one of those from you. Maybe even throw a bit of margin in for yourself.

I'm currently using one of these and it seems to work pretty well: https://www.tigersupplies.com/Pr ... 48gLeAaAhjKEALw_wcB

I pretty much ...canned the included tripod within a few days.

2019-7-2
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I'd like to at least see pix!

@Dragline, we use similar Trimble tri- and bipods for some work but they at least have a bubble level on them. Does that one have a level?
2019-7-2
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Hey guys,

Sorry have been out of commission for a few weeks.

Here is the adapter we got made up.

Essentially, I have this permanently fitted to the GPS and a Tribrach adapter.  Just take the unit out, slap on a tribrach and away you go.

Definitely can be improved, but needed a quick fix.

Let me know your thoughts.  They are only aluminium so probably not suitable to being constantly removed and re-fitted.
2019-7-8
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

2019-7-8
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nice. Looks like it works!
2019-7-9
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Re "They are only aluminium so probably not suitable to being constantly removed and re-fitted."  What about a helicoil for the female thread or a brass sleeve ( a bigger version of the 1/4UNC to 3/8UNC adapter which is commonly used  for camera tripods), would they cause corrosion problems?   The adapter could then be left in the DJI equipment
2019-7-9
Use props
fans5ee12188
New

United States

DJI4Survey Posted at 7-8 21:54
Hey guys,

Sorry have been out of commission for a few weeks.

Hi DJI4Survey, this is great! I’m wanting to 3D print an adapter for the same reasons, can you provide the specs for the thread DJI uses, please? I can’t find any information about it.
JW
2019-7-21
Use props
DJI4Survey
lvl.4
Australia

Hey mate,

See attached.  The issue is the actual thread.  It isn't standard and I do not have a .STL or OBJ of the part as the thread was custom measured when the part was turned.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
2019-7-21
Use props
fans5ee12188
New

United States

DJI4Survey Posted at 7-21 14:32
[view_image]

Hey mate,

Wow that was a fast reply! Thank you! I’ll try to come up with something in CAD. If I can, I’ll post an .stl
JW
2019-7-21
Use props
Shodopan
New

Found a lot of affordable tripods here. You might need to get a thread adapter to fit your device.
https://engineerwarehouse.com/collections/tripods
2019-9-11
Use props
Choppy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160894282 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2020-3-30
Use props
Choppy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160894282 ft
  • >>>
Australia

it May sound anti intuitive but I’m looking for the other way around!
2020-3-30
Use props
RekonSolutions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8894262 ft
  • >>>
Canada

https://www.rotorrascal.com.au/
2021-5-18
Use props
EOandA
lvl.1
United States

RekonSolutions Posted at 5-18 09:54
https://www.rotorrascal.com.au/

Awesome, thanks! Just ordered one.
2021-5-18
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

EOandA Posted at 5-18 10:33
Awesome, thanks! Just ordered one.

And, they're out of stock
2021-5-19
Use props
Rotor Rascal
New

Australia

patiam Posted at 5-19 14:08
And, they're out of stock

Sorry guys. Thanks for posting here! Although it  meant I had an influx of orders I wasn’t expecting!  
A larger amount are being machined at the moment and should hopefully be done in max 2 weeks.
I am going to create a preorder item if anyone wants to purchase and I’ll send out as soon as they get in.
2021-5-20
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Preordered!
2021-5-22
Use props
fans0f4c64ba
lvl.1
United States

I posted a 3D model for the latest adapter for DJI-RTK 2 here:  https://www.printables.com/model/317927-dji-rtk-2-adapter
2022-11-15
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans0f4c64ba Posted at 11-15 10:50
I posted a 3D model for the latest adapter for DJI-RTK 2 here:  https://www.printables.com/model/317927-dji-rtk-2-adapter

Thanks! How do the threads differ between the 2021-22 and older D-RTK 2's?
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules