11408 26 2019-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
darrochom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3507 ft
United Kingdom

Good afternoon,

I just bought my Osmo Action and went out and tried some 4k 60 fps footage. the quality is blurry and looks bad, worse than the Pocket. I am using the same SD card I had on the Pocket (U3), but the quality is significantly not 4k (barely 1080p).

Anyone got the same problem?

Thanks,
2019-6-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day darrochom. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. Can you please try to update the firmware of your DJI Osmo Action to see if the issue will still persist. In addition are you able to post some short footage of the said issue for us to be able to help you further. Thank you.
2019-6-29
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Good afternoon,

I just finished the update and the footage now looks grainy, and I did a comparison between 4k, 2.7k and 1080, and it all looked similar. You can see the grain in the tree leaf and the leaves are not as sharp as I am used to on the Pocket.

I know the difference because I used to have the Osmo Pocket and the footage in 4k definitely looked better on the pocket.

Here are some footage: https://mega.nz/#!y1cDBCyQ!waPEM ... VnLWBEENYz5or7UzfWY

Thanks,
2019-6-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

darrochom Posted at 6-29 11:20
Good afternoon,

I just finished the update and the footage now looks grainy, and I did a comparison between 4k, 2.7k and 1080, and it all looked similar. You can see the grain in the tree leaf and the leaves are not as sharp as I am used to on the Pocket.

The filter and lens are clean aren't they ?

There's definitely something not quite right there, I might be tempted to try a factory reset (2nd bottom choice in settings menu). To me on my 4k monitor it's almost as if there's a fog or haze on filter or lens.
2019-6-29
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I just factory reset the camera and formated the SD card, the problem seems still to be there (its dark outside im going to test it again tomorrow).

The filter is clean, I literally just pulled it out of the box this morning.
2019-6-29
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

darrochom Posted at 6-29 12:24
I just factory reset the camera and formated the SD card, the problem seems still to be there (its dark outside im going to test it again tomorrow).

The filter is clean, I literally just pulled it out of the box this morning.

Yes that does not look good at all. I think there maybe something wrong.
2019-6-29
Use props
djiuser_tgqwfoRgUPGD
New

Switzerland

I also have grainy footage with d-cinematic color profile rock steady 4k 60fps.
I hate to see how grainy the quality is. When in action it brings the eye to the grain flicker.
Is this caused by rock steady? My HDR mode looks amazing compared to the garbage from rock steady...
2019-6-29
Use props
djiuser_CG8GF1Uj2TcX
New

United Kingdom

That looks really bad, there seems to be so many major issues that needs sorting.
Was hoping to purchase this week but its starting to put me off now. DJI does seem slow at releasing fixes.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-29 12:04
The filter and lens are clean aren't they ?

There's definitely something not quite right there, I might be tempted to try a factory reset (2nd bottom choice in settings menu). To me on my 4k monitor it's almost as if there's a fog or haze on filter or lens.

It's an Osmo Action, not a $40k RED camera.
2019-6-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 17:20
It's an Osmo Action, not a $40k RED camera.

"It's an Osmo Action, not a $40k RED camera."

I'm not sure of the point your trying to make, but if the UV filter on the Osmo Action  or lens are smudged or fogged up it will have a similar effect whether it cost $300 or $40,000.

At least that's what would happen to my Osmo Action, perhaps it doesn't on yours.

After viewing the OPs video what are your thoughts ?

2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-29 23:34
"It's an Osmo Action, not a $40k RED camera."

I'm not sure of the point your trying to make, but if the UV filter on the Osmo Action  or lens are smudged or fogged up it will have a similar effect whether it cost $300 or $40,000.

Maybe he forgot to peel off the lens protection film before using it.
2019-6-29
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:40
Maybe he forgot to peel off the lens protection film before using it.

I peeled of the lens protection fil, tried 2.7k, 1080p, 4k, changed the ISO, tried HDR and reset the camera multiple times as well as changed the SD Card. The footage always looks very grainy.

It all seems that the camera has some type of problem not sure what. I will be contacting DJI.
2019-6-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

darrochom Posted at 6-30 01:02
I peeled of the lens protection fil, tried 2.7k, 1080p, 4k, changed the ISO, tried HDR and reset the camera multiple times as well as changed the SD Card. The footage always looks very grainy.

It all seems that the camera has some type of problem not sure what. I will be contacting DJI.

How does it look at the lowest ISO?
2019-6-30
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AntDX316 Posted at 6-30 01:10
How does it look at the lowest ISO?

At ISO 100, the footage looks less grainy, the but the details aren't there. It doesn't look to the same 4k on the Pocket and the level of details are just like the video I posted above, the lot less grainy.
2019-6-30
Use props
djiuser_tgqwfoRgUPGD
New

Switzerland

darrochom Posted at 6-30 01:13
At ISO 100, the footage looks less grainy, the but the details aren't there. It doesn't look to the same 4k on the Pocket and the level of details are just like the video I posted above, the lot less grainy.

Try 4k 4:3 so it forces rock steady off
2019-6-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

darrochom Posted at 6-30 01:13
At ISO 100, the footage looks less grainy, the but the details aren't there. It doesn't look to the same 4k on the Pocket and the level of details are just like the video I posted above, the lot less grainy.

Have you tried maxing the sharpening?
2019-6-30
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

How do you max the sharpening on the action?
2019-6-30
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UPDATE: I went to the nearby park and shot some footage to see if anything changed.

Footage 1:https://mega.nz/#!LpVUSKpC!Xc-Il ... kr8sOeYaEGd01HhUdz0

Footage 2:https://mega.nz/#!H4EARSDI!CnLtO ... VpXmvPUY8z19HU7P9JY

I am not sure if that's 4K, but I noticed a big difference in the details from the 4k on the Pocket, such as on the trees and the colours. Not sure if my Action is faulty, but the footage doesn't look 4K to me.
2019-6-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

darrochom Posted at 6-30 05:11
UPDATE: I went to the nearby park and shot some footage to see if anything changed.

Footage 1:https://mega.nz/#!LpVUSKpC!Xc-Il-_idOaLe743pLvOTEFmkr8sOeYaEGd01HhUdz0

They are both definitely 4k video, as can be seen in the file details, right click on file, then look at the properties, click on the 'details' tab and you'll see its 4k @ 60 fps.

They both look fine to me in 4k.

Is rock steady turned on there ?

Edit:- try changing white balance from auto to manual. That may help with colour.
2019-7-1
Use props
darrochom
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 7-1 06:34
They are both definitely 4k video, as can be seen in the file details, right click on file, then look at the properties, click on the 'details' tab and you'll see its 4k @ 60 fps.

They both look fine to me in 4k.

Does the footage looks like 4K Footage to you? It might be that my monitor is unfit, or the video player.
2019-7-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

darrochom Posted at 7-1 14:48
Does the footage looks like 4K Footage to you? It might be that my monitor is unfit, or the video player.

Well it's certainly 4k (as above), the detail is very good; if you're not watching it on a 4k monitor or TV then you won't see the full benefit of it, if that's the case then try 1080P or 2.7k, see if it handles them any better. It is possible that the PC hardware might struggle a bit with 4k @ 60fps. Your first video definitely seemed to have a gradient washing out the details, might have been Sunlight on lens.

The HDR option gives it a bit more clarity in shaded areas, but no stabilisation available. Might be worth trying a shot with camera static, see if it makes any improvement to you.
2019-7-1
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Where are you reviewing your footage? When downloading 60p to your iPad or iPhone, the Mimo app does some transcoding so practically you get a 1080p video for playback.
2019-7-3
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Where are you reviewing your footage? When downloading 60p to your iPad or iPhone, the Mimo app does some transcoding so practically you get a 1080p video for playback.
2019-7-3
Use props
Al Robidoux
New
Canada

I have the same issue with my Osmo Action. I found if I move the camera even just a little bit the footage looks extremely grainy, but if I place the camera on a tripod and it's stable after 3+ seconds the video will focus and the grain disappears. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of having an action camera with good stabilization!
2019-11-18
Use props
blueorion
New

Turkey

Hi there,

I have the same issue with my Osmo Action. Any suggestions? or solutions with this problem? my footage looks very grainy too
2019-12-20
Use props
maximus23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 248258 ft
Poland

I just bought this camera and I am very disappointed with the video quality. I even compared it with old cameras such as xiaomi yi and gopro3. Osmo action has the worst image quality I've ever seen in a camera. Unfortunately, but I have to return my camera
2020-5-9
Use props
djiuser_SL534l0MS6QF
New

United Kingdom

Same my osmo action is on 4k 60 fps but its so bad and grainy. My Mavic minni records in 2.7 k and it look way clearer
2022-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules