How do you remove overblown highlights at the Camera level?
1264 21 2019-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do you bring down Only the highlights when shooting w/o making everything else super darker?
2019-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Shoot in a log mode and expose correctly. It pays to learn to use the Histogram to set the exposure manually.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 6-29 22:42
Shoot in a log mode and expose correctly. It pays to learn to use the Histogram to set the exposure manually.

I do but I was thinking if a CPL filter would help the "blown outs" but I assume it's like running a lower EV?

CPL is to cut the glare but in a way, it's like running an ND..
2019-6-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:14
I do but I was thinking if a CPL filter would help the "blown outs" but I assume it's like running a lower EV?

No, it is not like an ND, it is a Circular POlarising Filter, meaning you have to fit it on the lens, then adjust it to remove reflected light in a given polarising angle. But once in the air, it can change, this is why pros are wary of using polarising filters.
2019-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:14

It won't.
Burnt out highlights can't be fixed after you shoot the image so get your exposure right the first time.
2019-6-29
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

So if you run a CPL or ND the highlights will still match the EV throughout the picture?  There is no way to adjust just the highlights?
2019-6-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-29 23:19
So if you run a CPL or ND the highlights will still match the EV throughout the picture?  There is no way to adjust just the highlights?

There is no way to adjust just the highlights?
How many times do you need to be told, even the simplest things?
What part of NO don't you understand?

2019-6-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-30 00:11
There is no way to adjust just the highlights?
How many times do you need to be told, even the simplest things?
What part of NO don't you understand?

There is a feature on the A7 III in picture profile settings to control how much Highlight control there is.  I didn't look too far into it, but it does exist.  I was assuming someone would show a way how to do it with lenses but for your information, it can be controlled at the camera level w/ the latest tech.
2019-6-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 6-30 00:24
There is a feature on the A7 III in picture profile settings to control how much Highlight control there is.  I didn't look too far into it, but it does exist.  I was assuming someone would show a way how to do it with lenses but for your information, it can be controlled at the camera level w/ the latest tech.

Then tie your A7 under the drone and go and do it genius.
2019-6-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-30 05:55
Then tie your A7 under the drone and go and do it genius.

You have to have at least a Matrice 600 with the Ronin-M gimbal.  It's far beyond my current budget.
2019-6-30
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try using graduated filters
2019-7-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're hoping that you could get the best recommendation that you may need. Cheers!
2019-7-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A J Posted at 7-2 11:36
Try using graduated filters

What set works on the P4PV2.0?  Does CPL work on the highlights?
2019-7-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-2 13:29
What set works on the P4PV2.0?  Does CPL work on the highlights?

You want other people to tell you how to do things but ignore advice from those with experience.
Why don't you just do some testing yourself to find out what works (and what doesn't)?
2019-7-2
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 7-2 14:19
You want other people to tell you how to do things but ignore advice from those with experience.
Why don't you just do some testing yourself to find out what works (and what doesn't)?

Because someone might have a deeper level answer.  We don't know what people know until they respond.  So if you throw the question enough you can get deeper meanings while taking time to strongly understanding people's perspectives which can be very similar to some others.  Some people have intentionally given the wrong answer.  This is dangerous but I don't care.  For others though, they would do it.
2019-7-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-2 15:42
Because someone might have a deeper level answer.  We don't know what people know until they respond.  So if you throw the question enough you can get deeper meanings while taking time to strongly understanding people's perspectives which can be very similar to some others.  Some people have intentionally given the wrong answer.  This is dangerous but I don't care.  For others though, they would do it.

If you know enough to tell that some people are intentionally giving you wrong answers, you know enough to answer your own question ... but you don't.
You are just full of it.
How old are you?
I'm still guessing you are only 13 years old and have no experience of anything.
2019-7-2
Use props
SkyBluP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49518 ft
United Kingdom

The main thing you dont seem to understand is the dynamic range of the camera just isnt great enough for what you want. You could try using a Grad Filter as some suggested or underexpose and then up the dark areas in post production.
2020-8-22
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SkyBluP Posted at 8-22 02:48
The main thing you dont seem to understand is the dynamic range of the camera just isnt great enough for what you want. You could try using a Grad Filter as some suggested or underexpose and then up the dark areas in post production.

So the grad filter can remove the highlights and keep the dark areas up at the camera level?  Does a CPL do the same thing?
2020-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 8-23 05:36
So the grad filter can remove the highlights and keep the dark areas up at the camera level?  Does a CPL do the same thing?

No ... you haven't understood a thing in this thread and don't understand even the most basic concepts of  photography.
Neither a graduated filter nor a polarising filter will remove highlights and they won't do anything to help out with dark areas.

2020-8-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-23 06:04
No ... you haven't understood a thing in this thread and don't understand even the most basic concepts of  photography.
Neither a graduated filter nor a polarising filter will remove highlights and they won't do anything to help out with dark areas.

oh yeah, it's been a while

Photography isn't all I do in life.

2020-8-23
Use props
Goldenseal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487034 ft
United States

I think SkyBluP gave the best answer. What's blown out can't be fixed. Shoot under exposed and bring up the dark areas in processing. It works best in shooting stills in raw. A polarizing filter will not help, but DOES act also as a ND filter. In low light situations I have to remove my polarizing filter from my Nikon.  The polarizer will generally be equivalent to two stops.
2020-8-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Goldenseal Posted at 8-23 17:26
I think SkyBluP gave the best answer. What's blown out can't be fixed. Shoot under exposed and bring up the dark areas in processing. It works best in shooting stills in raw. A polarizing filter will not help, but DOES act also as a ND filter. In low light situations I have to remove my polarizing filter from my Nikon.  The polarizer will generally be equivalent to two stops.

I posted this way way back, I think I just AEB the photo but now I don't even bother lol.  When you Lightroom Auto the M2P image under a Sunny day w/ no cloud clover it looks amazing.
2020-8-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules