Can a video be edited into a timelapse?
567 6 2019-6-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ff22
Second Officer
United States

To the Video Editors in our midst:

I would like to try turning a video I took while hiking into a timelapse, if possible, by grabbing one frame every x number of frames but I'm not sure there's a way to automate that process.

Anyone have any ideas or software recommendations for such an attempt?

2019-6-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day ff22. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendations and information from out valued DJI co pilots on what editing software they are using in doing this editing process. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-30
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-30 12:00
Hello and good day ff22. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. I hope that you will get the best recommendations and information from out valued DJI co pilots on what editing software they are using in doing this editing process. Thank you for your support.

Thanks.

I think I have achieved a reasonable result.  It will be posted separately.
2019-6-30
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

For travel / journey videos i speed up regular footage so 1 hour of raw footage end up as 10 minutes of video, no one are going to sit there and watch a 9 hour long video in 1:1 speed.

2019-6-30
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

peiter Posted at 6-30 23:35
For travel / journey videos i speed up regular footage so 1 hour of raw footage end up as 10 minutes of video, no one are going to sit there and watch a 9 hour long video in 1:1 speed.

https://youtu.be/3XQuCzrrqPg

Okay - like it.  Now what editing software did you use?  How did you get that good quality uploaded to youtube?  Export as?

At my age, watching a nine hour road trip in real time might be FUN! (g)  But heading out on a hike in about half an hour so it will have to wait...
2019-7-1
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I speed up and upscale the 1080p footage to 4 K as youtube don't damage 4K too much, this was recorded with the Sj6 Legend camera.

Software used are pinnacle studio ultimate ( in on Version 22 now )

I feel recording video lapse ( car or motorcycle speeds ) you need a faster interval than a frame every 0.5 seconds ( 2 FPS ) , make for too hectic looking footage, i think maybe something like 5 - 10 FPS will smooth things out.

But that just give you 1 minute ( real time ) saved as 20 seconds of video on the memory card, so your 1 hour walk will be a 20 minute watch, but for shorter things i think its fine, and for longer things like my 9 hour drive i prefer to speed it up in post, and of course into several videos, so a viewer can take it nice and easy and not forced to binge watch Danish backroads.

This guy make cool journy videos in the US using a camcorder.
https://www.youtube.com/user/blessedhomosapiens

2019-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

ff22 Posted at 6-30 15:13
Thanks.

I think I have achieved a reasonable result.  It will be posted separately.

You are very much welcome ff22. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-7-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules