Osmo Action HDR vs D-Cinelike vs Normal
8893 17 2019-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here's a YouTube video and a bunch of blurb about it that some people may find intereseting.

Cheers,
Dave.

DJI Osmo Action HDR vs D-Cinelike vs Normal - Gamma Response & Dynamic Range Test

So just as the title says, this video is testing for differences in the gamma responses between shooting in normal gamma mode on the DJI Osmo Action compared to the same locked off shot in D-Cinelike and HDR.

The response of the three different gamma settings in the Osmo Action will basically have an effect on perceived dynamic range.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Osmo Action, just like many similar small cameras and action cameras, only records in rec.709 and uses 8 bit with a chroma sub sampling of 4:2:0, using the H.264 codec.

The variation of the H.264 codec used in the Action is also using inter-frame, which would be just the same for similar cameras that may use H.265. The only real difference between H.264 and H.265 for these types of cameras is bit rate, with H.265 usually being less due to its efficiency but ultimately there is no extra gain in picture quality at these levels using H.265 over H.264.  

Because of these settings and despite the fact that the Action's sensor may well be capable of a better response compared to the video codec. Technically, the recordings are quite limited, again, just as they would be with any similar camera.

With all that in mind and the fact that any proper bespoke log gamma curve or standardised HDR would need at least 10 bit 4:2:2 and possibly rec/BT2020 and usually an intra-frame codec in order to produce anything seriously meaningful. I really like what the Osmo Action is capable of with regard dynamic range within the very narrow confines of the codec.

Although its HDR is not a true type of HDR that conforms to a proper recognised standard. I'm also really impressed with that function as it does give extra options especially when shooting in bright environments or when shooting into the sun, as it really does help to expose shadowed areas to a very useful level where there is visible detail while still exposing for bright areas.

The shots are a fair mixture of mainly bright areas due to being outside but with some shaded and shadowed areas to hopefully help you guague the difference between the different modes.

I've also edited in 4K/UHD and uploaded in UHD using the Grass Valley HQX codec. The HQX codec is an intra-frame type that's 10 Bit 4:2:2 rec.709 in this instance and while that far exceeds the requirements for the Action's codec, it encapsulates all the detail and produces a visually lossless intermediate for the YouTube upload.

Basically, that's all boring fancy talk to say that what you are watching is exactly the same as uploading a native Action file and that the video will give you a great idea of picture quality and resolution, with YouTube's heavy encoding being taken into account.

I've also not touched any of the shots in post. So while the colour in HDR mode can be a bit like 'HEY, LOOK AT ME', it can be toned down in post anyway if that's preferred. Just as much as the light gamma lift in the D-Cinelike can also be altered a little bit in post with pushing and pulling things for colour.

On that note. The normal mode, which is DJI's take on a standard rec.709 response, can also be messed with a little bit without destroying the picture.

Also, everything was basically set auto as the HDR function is almost completely auto anyway and it would have been unfair for HDR to try to manually help the exposure for normal and D-Cinelike. But with this all being auto, it should give you a good idea of how the Action looks in its most basic setup, 'out of the box' as it were.

Besides, this is an action camera at the end of the day and they are not really designed to be used manually for their primary function. Imagine trying to change exposure with one strapped to your head jumping out of an airplane.

Anyway, there you go. That was the DJI Osmo Action being tested for normal, D-Cinelike and HDR, with a couple of dodgy angles thrown in for free

2019-7-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this photo comparison video for the DJI Osmo Action you have created and for the above explanation as well. Great work and thank you for your valued support.
2019-7-1
Use props
The french globetrotter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4523671 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for sharing.
2019-7-1
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-7-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great comparison
2019-7-1
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-1 16:22
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for sharing this photo comparison video for the DJI Osmo Action you have created and for the above explanation as well. Great work and thank you for your valued support.

2019-7-2
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

2019-7-2
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 7-1 21:15
Thanks for sharing

2019-7-2
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 7-1 22:53
Great comparison

2019-7-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

You are very much welcome Dave. Have a safe and a happy filming always.
2019-7-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi David thank you for taking the time once again to provide us with such great information and a great video .
Your a treasure around here, maybe you’ll take up drone flying soon .
2019-7-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 7-3 03:35
Hi David thank you for taking the time once again to provide us with such great information and a great video .
Your a treasure around here, maybe you’ll take up drone flying soon .

Hi. Thank you for the compliment It's really appreciated.

I used to use a drone a while back. I used to be part of an indie film production company and we had one for certain pre-pro stuff. In fact, I believe it was an earlier Phantom? We used it with a GP3.

If I ever get a DJI drone again I'll definitely be posting results on the forum.

Here's a video with the old setup. It's basically me filming my old production partner losing control of it and crashing it

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-7-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

David_Harry Posted at 7-3 05:41
Hi. Thank you for the compliment  It's really appreciated.

I used to use a drone a while back. I used to be part of an indie film production company and we had one for certain pre-pro stuff. In fact, I believe it was an earlier Phantom? We used it with a GP3.

Good footage, they have improved a fair bit since we had GP on them, both craft and cameras have improved 100% since then, thanks for posting .
2019-7-3
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Netherlands

Does anyone know how action does the "HDR"? From the samples I have watched, it looks more like a LUT applied in-camera to the d-cinelike mode. I am curious if it extends the dynamic range over d-cinelike at all...

PS: Thanks a lot for the video, very nice comparison
PS2: My wife wants one so we will probably be getting the Osmo Action regardless, yet I wanted to know

Cheers

2019-7-3
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very nice comparison, thanks for sharing
2019-7-5
Use props
Montfrooij