Smart Controller in-depth review!
8321 25 2019-7-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
karlo_m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349885 ft
Croatia

Hello fellow pilots! I got an amazing opportunity to test and review the DJI Smart Controller for two months!

Before it arrived I looked at some of the reviews on YouTube and honestly I wasn't all that excited about trying it out. BOY! Was I WRONG! Reviews on YouTube don't do the controller justice at all! All of them lack some crucial information about the Controller. After I've used it for a few days, I wanted to fly with it day and night! And I still do!

Here's the video review, it is divided into a few parts for easier navigation. It has everything from the unboxing, first impressions, hardware review and the software review. I'm writing the short version of the review below, and I'm highlighting some of the coolest features I found!

Hardware
The controller feels very sturdy in the hands unlike the original controller. Which after using this one, seems really light to use. You can really firmly grip the Smart Controller, almost like the Phantom controllers which I always preferred since I have large hands.
    All the buttons are easily accessible. At first I wasn’t sure about the placement of the flight mode slider, but I have to say, having it right in the middle means you can reach it with either hand when you have to quickly switch to Sport mode to fly away from a flock of seagulls for example.
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h25m25s748.png

The sticks feel a bit smoother than the original controller, almost like the Phantom controller again, which I also prefer. They don’t pull back with such force which means you can pull off some much more fluid shots.
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h28m27s509.png vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h29m24s254.png

That glorious screen
    The 5.5-inch screen, the selling point of the controller. Because of its high resolution, if you’re coming from a lower resolution screen, the UI will look quite small at first until you get used to it. For example, the waveform monitor seemed super small to me, but when you think about it, it makes sense that it doesn’t take up so much of the screen since it’s just a visual aid for exposing your shots. Because everything is much smaller, it feels like you have even more screen real estate for things that matter like actually framing your shots.
One thing I do miss though is the LCD screen from the original controller. Since I’m used to quickly checking my speed or my altitude, it was hard for me to get used to relying only on the information on the screen, especially since the typeface isn’t too readable at a first glance. But I should also mention here that the original controller’s LCD screen is quite bright, and it is often hard to read it when shooting at night because of all the brightness adjusting your eyes need to do.

Apart from that, it’s much easier to frame and compose my shots now because of the size and brightness.

Charge your battery while flying
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h30m13s835.png

The battery lasts for 2 and a half hours of flying, but unlike the original controller which doesn’t have a dedicated charging port, the Smart Controller can be charged while in use, either with a power outlet or with a power bank.
Since the charging time is 2 hours when connected to a 12 volt 2 amp port, this means that you’ll never run out of battery while flying and charging simultaneously.

Connect an external monitor or recorder
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h31m22s059.png

The I/O ports... An HDMI output can output 4K H264 or H265 video for external recording or monitoring while flying. Since the Mavic 2 Pro is powerful enough camera to be included even on film sets, and since the controller will probably support much more DJI drones in the future (it already supports the DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0), having this option is great since you won’t have the director breathing on your neck while you’re trying to fly away from that flock of seagulls.

Transfer data from external storage
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h32m21s667.png

The USB port can be used for charging your phone or anything else, but since this is basically an amazing Android tablet with flight controls, you can also use it to transfer your data to and from an external storage device.

The Function button
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h32m57s215.png

And finally the function button. If you press and hold it, all the options it offers will appear. Unfortunately the combinations can’t be changed, but nevertheless, they offer many possibilities. Just hold the function button and press another one to quickly adjust the screen brightness, speaker volume or start a screen record. Here are all the combinations that exist.

Calls don't interrupt your flying
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h33m50s907.png

Another great thing about having the controller overall is the fact that you can keep on flying when your girlfriend calls you to tell you to stop with this nonsense and come to dinner.

Edit your footage straight from the controller
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h34m56s103.png

Since this is in fact an Android tablet, you can download additional apps to your liking. So you can for upload photos or videos straight from your drone to Facebook or Instagram, or upload them to YouTube or Dropbox. You can also download some photo and video editing apps to quickly process your footage before uploading.

Conclusion
To conclude, honestly, this controller really isn’t for everybody. If you’re happy with flying with your smartphone, feel free to do so! This controller is really made for those who are flying often, who need their battery life, who need to be able to quickly get airborne. The build quality is really one of the great things this controller offers, and then we get to the ultra-sharp screen, long battery life and not having to waste your phone battery, and the whole tablet mode.
In fact, this should’ve been named the DJI Pro Controller, the Smart adjective really doesn’t do it justice. As I said, I was pretty skeptical if I’m gonna like it, but it made my life SO MUCH easier for the past two months I’ve used it. I don't want to go back to the original controller! If you’re as skeptical as I was, try to find someone who may have it and try it out for a few days, I’m telling you, you’ll be ordering your copy with my link in the description in a matter of days.

And that's the DJI Smart Controller for ya! Hope you enjoyed this review! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask here or in the comment section on my video!
vlcsnap-2019-07-03-02h25m25s748.png
2019-7-2
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Very in-depth review.
I wouldn't fly without mine
2019-7-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent review
2019-7-3
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Great review
2019-7-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good post!
2019-7-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome review
2019-7-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Karlo. Thank you for sharing this very detailed review. This will really help our DJI co-pilots here that currently using the DJI Smart Controller. Thank you for your continued support. Cheers!
2019-7-3
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

As always, a good review. Sadly, I didn’t need it then and I don’t need it now......
2019-7-4
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Excellent review
2019-7-4
Use props
karlo_m
Second Officer
Croatia

Forestjim Posted at 7-2 20:51
Very in-depth review.
I wouldn't fly without mine

Thank you! Yep, I think I’ll buy it for myself after returning the review copy. It is just so much easier!
2019-7-6
Use props
karlo_m
Second Officer
Croatia

A J Posted at 7-3 01:26
Excellent review

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
2019-7-6
Use props
karlo_m
Second Officer
Croatia

A J Posted at 7-3 01:26
Excellent review

2019-7-6
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

karlo_m Posted at 7-6 03:30

You're welcome
2019-7-6
Use props
Robert Ned
lvl.1
Flight distance : 254836 ft
Netherlands

Since a few months i have the controler, i am very happy with it.
But since a few weeks a have problems by starting it, the blue led is blinking and by connecting with the mavic it says then "control sticks are not centerd"Sticks severl time's centerd but the problem stay's.
Controler is with the latest update.
Sorry for my bad English
2019-7-7
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done - thanks again for sharing!
2019-7-7
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Robert Ned Posted at 7-7 05:40
Since a few months i have the controler, i am very happy with it.
But since a few weeks a have problems by starting it, the blue led is blinking and by connecting with the mavic it says then "control sticks are not centerd"Sticks severl time's centerd but the problem stay's.
Controler is with the latest update.[view_image][view_image][view_image]

Have you tried to re calibrate the sticks as the prompt suggests?  If you have an still have the problem, you might need to contact DJI for warranty help.  Good luck.

You might want to post a new thread with this info and photos to bring more attention to the problem in its own thread.
2019-7-7
Use props
arthurbikemad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49954 ft
United Kingdom

Nice review, but it has some hard core bugs, mine was sent back and DJI still fail to help people with video feed loss issues while in flight, leads to line of sight landings without video.

These reviews look great but the smart controller has issues.

Video loss while flying.
Poor audio if required.
3rd party apps not supported.
Mine also fails to connect to M2P and M2PZ via select another aircraft.

Maybe in time when DJI fix the bugs I will buy another, meanwhile I am happy to have got my money back.
2019-7-8
Use props
Robert Ned
lvl.1
Flight distance : 254836 ft
Netherlands

ff22 Posted at 7-7 07:49
Have you tried to re calibrate the sticks as the prompt suggests?  If you have an still have the problem, you might need to contact DJI for warranty help.  Good luck.

You might want to post a new thread with this info and photos to bring more attention to the problem in its own thread.

Several times.
Yesterday i downgrade the firmware and install the latest again. Looks oke for now.
2019-7-8
Use props
Kiskassa
New

Hungary

Witch type of tablet can control DJI mavic 2 Enterprise dual
2019-7-8
Use props
djiuser_lpGIyVhfaDJV
lvl.1

Ukraine

amazing article! thank you)
2019-7-12
Use props
Darrben
New

United States

I have the ocusync 2 system on a custom built drone. Can you use the Smart controller with it?
2019-7-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great review, thanks for sharing your experience
2019-7-16
Use props
Jake Deer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8220840 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome review! Can't wait to get mine (if it will ever come back in stock) and fly with it.
2019-7-27
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft
United States

Thanks for the info!
2019-8-6
Use props
Jacob Williams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 824560 ft